• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Strange Errors - ASM patches flawed?

Started by scorpiova, March 24, 2017, 08:11:23 am

scorpiova

Hey guys,

Having a frustrating moment - I am assuming some of the ASM patches don't work and cause major issues in game.

With the PSX version I started a new project - applying what I know works and does not work so far. Now today after adding the text patch for class names, I also added 4 ASM patches. I have not done anything to any other aspect of the game nor have I done anything in FFTpatcher with this file.

But - when I start a new game to test out the prologue - some characters are half in the wall, some are floating in the air - every unit is not where they are supposed to be on the screen. It looks like a complete mess.

The four patches I used were:

1. Soldier Re-name.
2. Mime as normal job.
3. UWentires - Formation sprite re-assignment (I gave Weigraf, Isilude, Rofel a formation sprite/portrait).
4. Ramza as a guest.

I don't understand how any of these affected the positioning of units in battle and in story events. So I am really lost at the moment and feel a bit jinxed since this issue seems like it should not be happening at all.

The Ramza as guest patch is the only "new" thing I am using that I have not used before. So I am guessing that patch has altered and messed up how units are shown in events and in maps.

So I am assuming I should avoid most of these patches. Are there any other patches out there that definitely should be avoided?
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Jumza

It sounds like you might have started out with a corrupted ISO file. If you want to check to see if these hacks are actually the issue you should get a new ISO file, test it out vanilla to make sure it's fine, then add each hack one by one and test every time to make sure everything is fine.

Unless one of these hacks overwrites another and that causes issues, but it doesn't sound like any of these should be having an effect like that.
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

scorpiova

Quote from: Jumza on March 24, 2017, 01:21:11 pm
It sounds like you might have started out with a corrupted ISO file. If you want to check to see if these hacks are actually the issue you should get a new ISO file, test it out vanilla to make sure it's fine, then add each hack one by one and test every time to make sure everything is fine.

Unless one of these hacks overwrites another and that causes issues, but it doesn't sound like any of these should be having an effect like that.

Thanks for the reply - but I think I found the issue. I have been using my EPSXe emuslator without any issues. But I just loaded up the file in PSX and it worked fine. The issue is in ePSXe. Somehow I have corrupted the emulator itself.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Angel

I have to ask: what version of ePSXe? If it's below 2.0, it's trash and you should permanently delete it and never use it again. If it's 2.0 or greater, I do know that ePSXe still isn't the best choice for FFT (I swear, some of its troubles will never be fixed), but it shouldn't fail too terribly hard.

If you want a truly good emulator for FFT, use PCSXR (preferably iCatButler's PGXP fork; he added some compatibility fixes that the official version hasn't implemented yet, so even if you don't use the PGXP features [which are amazing], you still get a much better emulator) or Mednafen (if you have a video card that supports Vulkan, use RetroArch's Mednafen HW core) for best results.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?