• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

The new SoR monster thread

Started by Skip Sandwich, December 04, 2008, 11:29:52 am

SentinalBlade

January 05, 2009, 08:42:00 am #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Ouch >.<

Well ive been slacking off on actually posting my updates, im going to do afew more ENTD and then post v.04 (i skipped public .02 and .03)

Skip Sandwich

January 06, 2009, 05:44:54 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
update, added Illithid monsters (squids), my favorite skills for these are mind blank (innocent plus shell on a single target) and extract (low% instant crystal, kill opponents by eating thier brains!)
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Skip Sandwich

January 29, 2009, 06:12:48 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
i'm having difficulties coming up with good ideas for the remaining monsters, so if anybody else wants to step in and help out, they should feel free to do so
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."

SentinalBlade

February 04, 2009, 10:34:29 pm #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Banshee. replaces panthers, since we were looking to get rid of them anyways.

Vanya

February 04, 2009, 11:38:30 pm #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
That a Ragnarok Online sprite? Looks sweet. ^_^
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

SentinalBlade

February 05, 2009, 05:52:11 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
It isnt actually. I wish i had the patience for porting a RO sprite.

This is actually some random japanese game i found with only like 2 or 3 frames...i had to touch it up alot, and even then, its freaking hard as hell trying to make the body move...notice her hair is really the only activly moving thing

SentinalBlade

February 05, 2009, 06:34:21 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Vanya gave me an idea... instead of spending hours on completly custom sprites that wont get the image across

im going ot be posting some sprites from other games im incorperating into FFT... not these are unedited, and are just copy pasted and dont look very FFT yet.

enigma43

February 11, 2009, 04:03:00 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by enigma43
You've gotta have a blue mage job (like in FF6) that can pick up a whole bunch of moster skills the same way as ultima!

SentinalBlade

February 11, 2009, 04:05:30 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
I wish, but the AI like to abuse it..

if you make it always learn on hit, then the AI will have ALL the blue magic skills, straight from the start. :( and being at barius hill when an enemy has shadowflare is nto very pleasent.

Dormin Jake

February 12, 2009, 03:05:59 am #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
To stop AI abuse of Blue Magic, give the spells JP costs (but of course only making them learnable by being hit).  The AI still selects abilities for units based on JP cost and the unit's job level, but the player will never notice because they can't normally be learned by JP.

Did this for my personal balance patch and it works perfectly.  Blue Mages learn spells by being hit with them, whether enemy or ally, and enemy Blue Mages know more and stronger spells the higher their job level, so it works out.
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

SentinalBlade

February 12, 2009, 07:55:34 am #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Thanks Dormin, i completly forgot the learn with jp checkbox

glad to see your still following this :)

Maybe Necromancer could ba blue mage learning all the undead skills?

Dormin Jake

February 12, 2009, 01:24:51 pm #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
That...would actually be very cool.  A Dark Blue Mage.  A Navy Blue Mage!

Yes of course I'm following SoR.  I've moved back to my old lurker status, though, so I apologize if I don't post here that often.  But this section is a creative goldmine, seriously!
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

SentinalBlade

February 12, 2009, 01:33:23 pm #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
thanks, Dormin, i appreaciate that :D

Skip Sandwich

February 12, 2009, 02:54:53 pm #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
That could work, though I wonder how effective he would be able to use them with only human/level MA, as currently, the monsters are not designed with blue magic scaling in mind.

Anyway, something to go with the hooded guy sprite

Warlock
Class: Special Monster
Innate: Short Charge, Magic Defense UP, Counter Magic, Distribute
Element: Half Fire, Earth, Water, Dark

Stats
HP: Fair
MP: Amazing
PA: Fair
MA: Fair
SP: Fair

Skillset: Space/Dimension Magic
Flare
Flare 2 (as the 1.3 calc spell)
Comet (non-elemental damage 1-6 times randomly, random fire, range 4, area 1v255, meteorain effect, ct 5)
Comet 2 (as comet, but damage is higher, choco meteor effect, ct 6)
Meteor (as the normal spell, 1.3 specs)
Quake (deal heavy earth-element damage to all on field)
Accumulate (Chakra with a ct of 4, targets self)
"Dave?  Are you there?"

SentinalBlade

February 12, 2009, 05:06:55 pm #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
Excellent Skip.

Plus, a monsters skills are currently powerful, and compared to other human skills, if we didnt use human PA/MA, then they would have a clear advantage over non-blue magic.

Blue magic is meant to be a variety class, give something for everything, damage,healing protection, range, and so forth. Its versatility at its best. but if we had monster MA, it would scale into a priority over anything else.

I really like the Warlock idea, it makes for alot more sense than the current warlocks in vanilla. Maybe an enemy only monster, like the undead wizard jobs and stuff you see in yugow woods?

Skip Sandwich

February 12, 2009, 09:07:28 pm #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
glad you like it, I was basicly just playing around with seperating Time and Space magic into seperate disciplines(not that any of the traditional disciplines show up in SoR anyway). Power wise, it flings spells at about the same power level as a equivilant level wizard with Magic Attack UP equipped, it just has access to very powerful spells. In the previous incarnation of SoR, one of the suggested ability sets for Kael's unique job was giving him access to powerful non-elemental spells, perhaps this warlock is a special entity created by the cursed stone's power and the grand master's magic, which explains why it has access to Space/Dimension/Realm magic, or whatever we end up naming the scorcery that Kael possesses, if we're even still going with that idea
"Dave?  Are you there?"

SentinalBlade

February 12, 2009, 09:17:47 pm #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
We are

I should probably set up a topic for his abilities....

enigma43

February 14, 2009, 03:38:42 pm #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by enigma43
omg i cant believe my ideas actually taking off :D

enigma43

February 14, 2009, 03:56:19 pm #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by enigma43
for some monster abilities, to make the BM more effective, couldn't you just change the damage formula for some abilities, and alter the monster's stats in such a way that the change wouldn't be noticeable in monsters? Like make dark whisper faith-based, but make the Tiamats magic attack and faith stay at a consistant high value so it can still do damage?

SentinalBlade

February 14, 2009, 11:35:14 pm #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SentinalBlade
I could do that enigma, but monsters are supposed to be overpowered. they are limited in what they can do, so they should at least specialize in doing it. the human BM takes something from every monster type and uses it. if it was as strong as a monsters itd just be rape.

Making something like faith a constant high for things like tiamats wont work. if you breed them, its uncontrollable. but if i want to make it high, id have to manually go in and set each tiamats faith...but then it will be constant, and not a high random number :(

there are things that you could do, yes, but there is still trouble with all of them.

even if it was faith based...tiamats had huge MA(they will not exist much longer in SoR) so even with faith, it would be alot of damage, possible even more on a good amount of faith.

Take for instance, MA Barrier on Turtles(^-^)

its a MA+X% chance.

the x is 28, because turtles at level 99 have a 57 MA

thats roughly 85% chance.

If i smoothed it for humans, itd be 100% for turtles, and maybe cap at 45 for BMs?

we will figure out something. probably using the weakest attack from each monster type.something that isnt TO dependant on stats.