• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 10:08:32 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

2 Basic Questions and Adding Formulas

Started by BleuVII, September 12, 2016, 08:47:21 pm

BleuVII

September 12, 2016, 08:47:21 pm Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:05:42 pm by BleuVII
This is my first post here. Let me just say that I am amazed at this community. I had no idea it existed before a month ago, and you guys have done so much work that it's really easy for a newbie to get started. I've read a lot of the forum posts, but there are a few answers I couldn't readily find.

Preamble (context - expand to read):
I discovered this community after finding Final Fantasy Tactics: Rebirth. I was torn between playing FFT:R and playing WotL, with its improved translation and extra content. So I have taken on finally creating FFT:R for the PSP. I've spent about 12 hours at this point, and I estimate I am 75% done. I have edited all abilities, jobs, skillsets, etc., and I have 48 more ENTDs to update. Then I get to try to insert the new graphics. That's apparently pretty difficult for PSP, so we'll see. I work a day job with troubleshooting SQL databases though, so I'm optimistic.

...but... in addition to FFT:R, I'm also working on "Final Fantasy Tactics: Rebirth Kai", which will use FFT:R PSP as a canvas for a small hack. I have a couple of questions on it.

QUESTION 1: Changing Ramza's class in Chapter 3
After killing Gaffgarion, I would like Ramza to take up the mantle, as it were, and become a Dark Knight. I've identified the in-game story sequence where Ramza changes from his chapter 2/3 form into his Chapter 4 form. I have it as hex address #137 (Orlandu Musing [Zeltennia]). I would LIKE to change it to event #128 (Arrival at Orbonne), so he changes at the beginning of Chapter 3. If I mark "Join After Event" on #128, is it going to change Ramza to Chapter 4 form, or is there a hardcoded value I'm not seeing that will result in a second Ramza joining my party?

(PS: I've also identified that the following cutscenes will need the chapter 4 sprite: 129,12A, 12C, 12D, 131, 132, 135, 136)

QUESTION 2: Editing Bio/Biora/Bioga
With the PSP version, I run into some certain challenges. First, due to hardcoded values, I need to create a class. Ramza is going to be the sole Dark Knight, so my current plan is to change the Dark Knight class to the Calculator. This allows me to keep Calculator in the game, but it will inherit the 20 kill hidden value. I plan to make it so that the requirements for Calculator are very high. Then, with the current Calculator slot, I'm going to create a Red Mage. This will be a battle mage that casts water/earth/wind spells, but also has a new spell, Refresh/Refreshaga, that will heal MP by spending HP. Anyway, the second problem with the PSP is that frickin' Balthier took up all of the empty ability slots with Plunder.

My solution for this is to have only one copy of Bio/Biora/Bioga, with all status effects randomly added. This frees up 7 slots. I can also free up 2 more by editing Sanguine Sword and Infernal Strike, since they're duplicates. This is good, since by my count I only need 7 slots. Again, I just need to check if there are hardcoded values associated to the Bio family that I am unaware of. It seemed like really odd coding when I looked at it.

QUESTION 3: Inserting Formulas
I have determined 2 formulas that I need to insert in order to make this idea a reality. Problem is, I can't figure out how to do it. Can anyone help?
These are the 2 I need added:
(Slot 18) HealMP_(MA*Y) DmgCas_(X) NS NE
(Slot 19) Heal_(CasMaxMP*X/Y) DmgCas_(CasMaxMP/Y) Hit_(100%) NS NE

Then, I'd also like to edit the following (Chant) to change the numbers to variables.
3C Heal_(CasMaxHP*Y/X) DmgCas_(CasMaxHP/X) Hit_(100%) NS NE

Thanks in advance for all the help.
  • Modding version: WotL

Nyzer

WotL is less reliable when it comes to editing; it conflicts with custom work far more often than the PSX version. Might cause issues with the custom class change & formulas; that's all I know on those subjects.

The Bio spells can be freely changed with no issues. They're only in two skillsets overall IIRC.

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

BleuVII

Thanks for the info on Bio. In the psx version, would changing the event where Ramza reached his chapter 4 form work?

BleuVII

Ok, I have a few answers. First, you CAN change when Ramza's class change occurs. So that's a go.

Second, the Bio family can be easily edited to create new spells.

I'm still working on the new formulas. I may just abandon them.

Nyzer

Nice. Best of luck, though most of the greater FFH community generally ignores WotL stuff due to the sheer difficulty of doing even simple non-Patcher tasks compared to what's possible with the PSX version. The poorly-balanced, near-impossible-to-unlock new Jobs and multiplayer-ONLY items typically aren't worth the tradeoff.

BleuVII

For me, the decision to hack Wotl Lions comes down to a few basic things.

1. I'm not editing events. Therefore, I want the version with extra story sequences.
2. WotL gives me an extra job on the job wheel. This allows me to keep Calculators while still creating a new class. The added bonus is that I can use the ridiculous requirements of the dark knight to restrict Calculators to end game only.
3. I love the translation.
4. The one thing I set out to do was change Ramza into a Dark Knight. I wanted the version that gave me extra abilities for him.

I've been surprised at the vitriol against it.

Nyzer

QuoteI've been surprised at the vitriol against it.

Many non-Patcher tasks are hundreds to thousands of times easier on the PSX version. Plus, that awful spell slowdown. Can't blame folks too much for that one :P