• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:11:35 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

auto-battle ai brainstorming

Started by savantopus, January 20, 2017, 08:42:16 pm

savantopus

i want to bump this thread. AI behavior is so crucial to any developers tool kit... Has there been any more progress on controlling how the AI behaves ? Or is there anyone working on a project like this whom I can help ? If so please point me in the right direction. If not, is there anyone else out there interested in how the AI works?

I am currently working on a little project with FFTPatcher to recreate the game with a few new mods, one of them being how all the characters are only allowed to move 1 or 2 squares at a time... might sound restrictive at first but it actually opens up the depth of the game in a few ways. It plays a little more like an interesting chess game rather than a bunch of shananigans running around all over the place:

1st, enemy and ally artificial intelligence (AI controlled) warriors cannot hit and then run 4 squeare away, leaving your back-line vulnerable. The battles make more sense, warriors in the front line, softies in the back.

There's a lot more that I'm adding and I won't go too far into detail about it now... I will post a ISO link sometime soon hopefully.... but also please keep me updated on anything involving the AI.

Cheers,
Savant
  • Modding version: PSX
Every word man speaks is a plagiarism.

Dokurider

Oh hey there, you are just in luck. I just so happen to be working out how the AI works in this very topic, and I just made a new post about how the AI restricts ability use. It's by no means complete, because the AI is complex and wild beast, and it's not exactly exactly what you're looking for, but perhaps you'd be interested all the same? If nothing else, it's a nice read.

One of the things I am trying to do is stop the AI from fidgeting so much. The trick to figuring out how to stop the AI from moving all the time is to figure out when the AI won't move of their own free will. I have seen them decide to not move, but it's so rare for that to happen, I don't recall any of the details of when that happened.

I know a bit on AI movement, but not enough to really form a definitive, or even a coherent statement yet and it's also not my current priority. You can try to look through the routines on the wiki and try to decode them yourself if you're desperate and/or impatient. But for now, we're stuck with me working at a snail's pace.