• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:39:27 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

"Special" Calculator

Started by MagiusRerecros, April 27, 2011, 07:32:07 pm

MagiusRerecros

I was thinking about how many people say that Calculator (or at least, Math Skill) is op, and so they tend to replace it with something like Sage (from 1.3). So I was thinking, why not have a special character who's base job is essentially calculator, and change standard calculator to Sage. So I tried that; I have Sage the "<status> 2" spells, and switched Math Skill in Action Menus to <Default>, and then gave the special character's base skillset the Calculator skills, and changed their action menu to Arithmeticks. But then, even when I've got spells learned, and all of the original calculator skills learned, the menu in battle still can't be selected, saying that I haven't learned any combo skills. Did I miss a step, or can this just not be done?
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.

RandMuadDib

i think you're putting too much effort into it. Use a blank skillset for sage, and keep math skill the way it is for your special character, then just change the skillsets each job has. I believe that should work.
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Xifanie

That doesn't work :P

Whoever I believe Math Skill is highly interchangeable, and if you change the skillset settings for Math Skill and the skillset you're swapping to, you should have absolutely no problem creating a stand-alon-calc... even though it has been provenm countless times, Math Skill stays broken. You would need to create ridiculously weak skills that are only useable through Math Skill...
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Pride

1.3 use to (or might still have) a random enemy calculator, so what you're asking is possible but I've never tried. I don't see why it wouldn't work.
  • Modding version: PSX
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?

RavenOfRazgriz

Quote from: Pride on April 28, 2011, 03:27:42 pm
1.3 use to (or might still have) a random enemy calculator, so what you're asking is possible but I've never tried. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

The AI can use stuff without the extra code the player needs for it.  The A1 Item command only works for the AI, for example.

As for a Special Calculator, I see no reason you can't use the Generic Skillset Fix, make your Special Unit's primary skillset mimic the properties of Math Skill, then give the "Sage/etc" Job some random skillset floating around and tell that to mimic Basic Skill.  I would imagine that would work easily.

MagiusRerecros

Quote from: RavenOfRazgriz on April 28, 2011, 04:59:30 pmAs for a Special Calculator, I see no reason you can't use the Generic Skillset Fix, make your Special Unit's primary skillset mimic the properties of Math Skill, then give the "Sage/etc" Job some random skillset floating around and tell that to mimic Basic Skill.  I would imagine that would work easily.

Unfortunately, I probably don't know as much about OrgASM as I should, and I have no idea how to use this hack. I mean, I know that I can find the hack in Xifanie's "The little asm hacking reference", but I have no idea how to get it into OrgASM, or to make it suit my current needs...
Move Zig. For great Justice.

Also, Algus sucks up to level 5 donkey balls.