• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:31:22 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

[Old] Deep Dungeon Revamp!

Started by Dome, April 01, 2012, 06:17:18 am

Dome

April 01, 2012, 06:17:18 am Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 06:59:18 am by Dome
1.01c will feature more Deep Dungeon fights!
More than 20 different fights that will surely challenge even the most hardcore FFT player are soon to be implemented in the next release!
Are you ready?

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Kaijyuu

Hold on, lemme finish popping my popcorn. Then I'll be ready to read people's horror stories thereof.
  • Modding version: PSX

Dome

Quote from: Kaijyuu on April 01, 2012, 11:51:18 am
Hold on, lemme finish popping my popcorn. Then I'll be ready to read people's horror stories thereof.

You, sir, made my day

Dome

I thought about it, but I want to keep only 1 patch around...

Otabo

Are there eventually going to be four different fights on each floor like in 1.3, or just one special fight each floor?

Dome

Otabo

Ok, I've been hanging around in the DD for a good amount of time now, and I thought I would share my opinions of it as it is currently. Overall, it's good, it's just that some of the battles down there need to be buffed. I suppose I should go floor by floor.

NOGIAS

Two good battles here to introduce the DD with just the right amount of difficulty. This floor is just fine as it is.

TERMINATE

Can't say anything here because it's bugged. That Cleric + Soldier fight could be good if done right Hope there will be more of them.

DELTA

Earth Squad is perfect as it is now, but something needs to be done with that Holy Knight battle, though. He needs actual ???? stats, status immunity, or more enemy units on his team or something. Right now, he doesn't even deserve to be in the DD, he's a complete pushover - especially for being on the third floor. He definetly needs to be buffed or something to help him; you could probably send only one unit in and be able to beat him with ease.

VALKYRIES

There is one thing about this floor, and that is with the two battles with Olan and the Onion Knights - in one of them, they start off facing your team like in other battles in the game, and in the other, they start facing away from your team. The Olan in the former is definetly more aggressive than the one in the latter, too. Just found that to be a bit weird. Could use a slight buff, too - perhaps more Onion Knights? Or Olan with real zodiac stats maybe? Dragons themselves are fine as they are. Red Mage, IMO, needs Maintenance, unless allowing players to get a second Genji Gauntlet was intended.

MLAPAN

One fight is bugged. The other is okay; it has potential, but could be harder. Engineer should be a boss unit or something to make him stand out from the other units, right now, he might as well be just like one of the generic archers.

TIGER

The concept of this floor being "the undead floor", is nice. Ghosts definetly need to be buffed and need more units on their team. Fell Knights are fine as they are, IMO. That undead Algus though, yeesh. He's annoying. But fine as is.

BRIDGE
Squires & Bombs fight: Bombs are fine as they are currently, probably could add an Explosive or two, though - two bombs and a grenade; just doesn't seem complete without an Explosive to go along with them. Might as well have the whole family. The squires, however, need some help. They don't have any reaction abilities, and feel like just plain old generic units. Perhaps they should get Teleport 2 like the bombs have? That would allow the Bombs to be even more deadly with their usage of monster skills. They just need something to help them out.

Morbols: Teleport 2 Morbols are nasty. But perfect as it is currently.

VOYAGE

I'll admit, the monks are pretty damn hard. For where it is located in the DD, this battle is at a great level of difficulty. Even fully prepared teams can lose to this one. Some of the fights on the higher floors could stand to be something like this one. Are there any other fights on this floor, though? Seems this one is the only one I could get.

HORROR

Lives up to its name. Perfectly fine as it is now, IMHO. In fact, I've had more resets here (and in Voyage) than any other floor so far.

END

Not there yet, but I'm sure to be surprised to see what's lurking in here (other than Elidibs, of course).

DD as a whole, is at a good spot, it's just that some of the battles need tweaking to have a bit more difficulty, at least to match up to some of the other battles in DD.

Dome

Thanks for the feedback!

Well yeah, you are not supposed
End...is not yet ready
I mean, Elidibs can be fought, but he does not have the abilities I planned for him (Look under the spoiler if you want to know, otherwise skip it)
Math skills

Anyway, one of the end matches will be a rematch with him, and yes, the other 3 matches will be...special (But don't play them until the next release, 'cause they are not fully implemented)

P.s: I plan on giving every unit in the DD ?? Stats (Units with equipment will have 999 hp, and not-equipped units like monster will get thousands of Hp). What do you think about it?

Otabo

Sounds promising. Hopefully, you'll add more enemy units to those few fights I mentioned above, as well.

Dome

Of course I will :-)
I want the DD to be VERY hard

Neophyte Ronin

Thousands of HP can still be wilted away with the proper ability.  However, we're looking at a total face-melting experience if monsters like Skeletons--with oppressive health stats as they are now--suddenly get over thousands of health with which to trigger their favorite reaction ability or cast their favorite magic.

One of the buggy things I find problematic is how monsters cast specific spells, yet don't require magic to do so.  Minotaurs and Skeletons are notorious for this crap.  Now, Ahrimans, I get.  They have Counter Magic and require a reservoir of magic for it.  But everybody else?  They should have a morale stat over one point and require it for casting--only make it reasonably high so they can do so for a while.

It's absolute bullshit watching skeletons group together and cast gravity on themselves free of charge.  Further reason why I don't mind Mustadio getting balanced out and useful.

P.S. I went through the Goland shafts.  That was impressive, but I still think a well-prepared and savvy player will find it simple.

The White Knights look scary with their immunities but siphon their morale to nothing and they're pussycats.  Nobody will find ice-affinity engineers anything to write home about.  Just equip ice shields, magic defense, and wait them out.  Now, the assassins could be trouble--they all have concentrate and maintenance as innates, so giving them other supportive abilities is advised--but anticipate their nastiest tricks (Dead, Petrify, Stop) and you have a perfect opportunity to learn Ultima for Ramza.  The final battle used those Ribbons and added mobility to divert the enemy from Reis.  The Archaic Demon had low faith but fell prey to every trick in the Oracle's book of spells.  Getting Ragnarok for my trouble was a nice bonus, but I still feel as if this could have used an extra spark.  The battles against specific opponents did not stir my imagination any.  Consider adding monsters or other adversaries into the mix.  Those fights didn't seem all too challenging and they weren't thematically consistent with there being monsters inside the mines, either.

Otabo

Quote from: Neophyte Ronin on May 09, 2012, 10:55:23 am
Thousands of HP can still be wilted away with the proper ability.  However, we're looking at a total face-melting experience if monsters like Skeletons--with oppressive health stats as they are now--suddenly get over thousands of health with which to trigger their favorite reaction ability or cast their favorite magic.

Status will still shut that down, though. Now if ???? skeletons were immune to status (stop and don't act, in particular) on the other hand, then that would be a problem.

Dome

You can reduce the brave stats using some skills

Otabo

Wow, Horror is both annoying as hell and fun at the same time. Easily my favorite floor in the DD in this patch! Hard fights all around.

Question though: Is there supposed to be a Sinogue in the Impure King + 3 Apandas fight? Seems odd that there are Sinogues in the other three, but not in this one. Working as intended?

Dome

Mmm...I'll look into it
I don't remember putting a sinogue in there XD