• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:18:24 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

New Jobs for all characters, not just unique/special characters.

Started by Cid, July 13, 2014, 01:47:04 pm

Cid

First let me introduce myself:

Name's Cid, and I've loved/played FFT for years.  Recently I can across the Journey of the Five FFT hack on Youtube, which led me here.
The ability to do what many modders do here is a dream for someone like me, who loved the original game but thought many of the classes were more or less filler for later (and better) classes.

So I know the first thing a newcomer should do when wanting to learn how to mod is go through/search other threads.  However before I even begin down that road, I need some answers.

I want to create maybe 2-3 new classes for characters to use.  Many threads on here talk about custom class, but they seem to imply that these classes are for unique/special characters.  I'm not trying to make a new character to put into the game, simply new jobs that players can use.  It sounds like you can only make custom classes by replacing existing classes, and some classes in general shouldn't be replaced at all.  If this is the case, can someone directly link me to the tutorial(s) that show how to replace an existing class?  I say direct because I've used the search function and most answers show to the tutorial link index, and I can't figure out which one is for replacing existing jobs.  One of the links is for replacing sprites and/or portraits, but that's something I want to do AFTER I make the job(s).  Any help is greatly appreciated!

Xifanie

:welcome:

Because of the amount of bytes each unit is allocated, there is no space to add the data of other jobs... Freeing space for both data and sprites would be an overwhelming challenge, so it might never see the day.

There's still an option, although far from ideal to achieve your means: RAD. This of course, isn't useable by any respectable mod. It's just to be able to mess around. For more info: http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=7031.0
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Ram

:lol: "I like swords!, I like swords!"

Welcome, we're both new here and have 3 letter usernames. I agree with the first paragraphs but we can chat more in the introduction thread if you stay.

I would have thought his type of input request would have been modded but I guess not. I've seen changed job classes that replace others and commands that go with it, I'm sure that's fine to replace a class we don't often use but I wouldn't hard mod that type of thing, I'd go towards the memory editing route if its possible (gameshark, constant write codes, etc.). You can replace commands right because I've seen that? What's the limit of actions per command? Does this limit change with the class?
<&Angel> if WotL is your preference, 99 times out of 100, you can't be trusted to know how to use a toilet properly
<~Xifanie> Weazel has a degree in bathroomonics
<&Angel> everyone who wants to mod WotL exclusively is pants on head retarded

Lockeadon

could have sworn i answered this o.o anyway, the limit comes from lack of space, as xif said. practically anything is technically possible with asm, but the space for doing so is not infinite, so in that sense there are limits. i'm not sure how much open space is available for command for a given job, or how much or if it varies.