• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

What job should I use during my next Crisis Core playthrough?

Started by Eternal, October 19, 2015, 03:18:32 pm

What job should I use during my next Crisis Core playthrough?

Black Mage
0 (0%)
Red Mage
4 (36.4%)
White Mage
0 (0%)
Paladin
0 (0%)
Time Mage
0 (0%)
Necromancer
1 (9.1%)
Dark Knight
2 (18.2%)
Dragoon
2 (18.2%)
Knight
0 (0%)
Samurai
1 (9.1%)
Spellblade
2 (18.2%)
Thief
2 (18.2%)
Monk
1 (9.1%)
Samurai
3 (27.3%)
Summoner
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: October 26, 2015, 03:18:32 pm

Eternal

So, I've been having the urge lately to replay Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core lately, one of my favorite PSP games. I've played through it a lot, so I'm spicing things up this playthrough and doing a Job Themed Run. Basically, you all will get to vote on a job that I can use, and Zack will be forced to use whatever Materia and Accessories are permitted for that job (see link below). Each job has its own theme and play style. Some jobs will be more boring than others (I'm looking at you, White Mage, Thief, and Summoner), but should make for an interesting playthrough.

JOBS:

Black Mage: Focuses on nuking enemies with elemental magic, with its equipment options based around reducing/nullifying/absorbing elemental damage and boosting MP and MAG. Can also equip the Apocalypse Materia to summon Genesis more often to deal heavy damage.

Suspected difficulty: low, being able to nuke enemies five ways to Sunday and exploit elemental weaknesses makes for very easy battles throughout the game.

Red Mage: Focuses on using low-mid tier elemental and healing magic as well as a mix of other spells and elementally imbued weapon strikes. Can only equip low-tier accessories  and elemental halving gear until very late game, where it can equip the Power and Energy suit to min/max its playstyle.

Suspected difficulty: low, higher difficulty end-game.

White Mage: Focuses on healing magic and defensive barriers until late-game, where it gets its only offensive spell: Energy. Focuses on mitigating magical damage, and can prevent enemies from using magic with Silence. Has a wide array of accessory options, which are themed around boosting SPR and nullifying status ailments. Can use the Healing Wave Materia to summon Aerith more often as well.

Suspected difficulty: medium, probably won't die often, but battles will take a while due to lack of offense outside of Energy.

Paladin: Focuses on physical defense, has defensive magic and Cure to help mitigate and undo small amounts of damage. Focuses on using normal physical attacks and boosting VIT and HP with accessories and Materia to stay alive. It's the only job able to use the Protect Ring, which bestows Auto Protect and Auto Shell, meaning that late-game it'll never have to use its defensive buffs.

Suspected difficulty: medium/high, battles will take a bit, and there's no good way to heal, meaning that magical abilities will do large amounts of damage since the Paladin's focus is on VIT.

Time Mage: Focuses on percentile damage, the Stop status, and Quake. It has a very limited movepool and can only heal with items and Regen, but Gravity/Graviga can easily cut through enemy HP, and Quake is highly damaging. Can also use Meteor Shots Materia to summon Cloud more often, which makes for steadier damage. Has only a few accessory options, mostly based around MP and MAG, but they can later use the Soul of Thamasa and Magic Master accessories to reduce MP cost to 0.

Suspected difficulty: high, many enemies are immune to Gravity magic and Stop, and Aerial enemies are immune to Quake. Lack of buffing and healing outside of Regen and items will make for a very difficult end game.

Necromancer: Focuses on Drain/Osmose magic and Poison, with the ability to also inflict Death. Their Materia and accessories focus on boosting MAG, making them very potent. Between Drain and Osmose, they're very self-sustaining. Similar to White Mages, they can wear the debuff-nullifying accessories, but this means trading off their MAG/MP accessories. They can also use the Status Ward materia to ward off the Silence/Poison/Death statuses as well, depending on what Materia they have equipped.

Suspected difficulty: low, being able to self-sustain both HP and MP as well as the ability to inflict Death makes them potent throughout the game, even against enemies immune to Death.

Dark Knight: Focuses on powerful AoE attacks while simultaneously inflicting debuffs and elemental damage. Basically, a Knight and Black Mage fused together and put on steroids. Dark Knights are the only job that can use the Dark/Hell magic, making for very easy fights, and they can use the Status Twisters to damage and inflict debuffs on many enemies at once. Despite their miniscule accessory options, they can use the Mortal Shock to inflict Death with normal attacks, as well as the Assault Targe and Brutal late-game to absolutely decimate enemies.

Suspected difficulty: very low, being able to deal heavy damage and debuff at the same time is ridiculously OP even with their limited accessory options.

Dragoon: Focuses on Jump abilities (shocker), as well as having high AP to power those Jumps. Though they don't have access to many accessories outside of the Chocobo Armlet series, they also have access to some VIT boosting accessories. They can constantly replenish their HP with Aerial Drain, and late-game can decimate entire battles with Death Aerial. Can equip the Air Strike Materia to more often summon Tseng and deal AoE damage.

Suspected difficulty: low, being able to avoid attacks, deal heavy damage, drain HP, and inflict instant Death should make for some very easy battles, even against Death-immune foes.

Knight: A blend between the other melee jobs, the Knight doesn't have the raw AoE power of the Dark Knight, or the VIT of the Paladin, or the ATK of the Monk, but it strikes a happy medium between all three. Being able to use Assault Twister and its upgrade is a boon early-game, but won't do much late-game when healing and statuses are more important. They have access to a variety of accessories which focus on a little bit of everything, depending on how you're looking to build Zack.

Suspected difficulty: medium-high, not being able to heal outside of items alone makes for a very tough ride as well as a lack of a focus on ATK and VIT means that Zack will have to find a way to end battles quickly to have a higher chance of survival.

Samurai: A very basic job that focuses on quickly dispatching the enemy, the Samurai focuses on Critical Hits, being able to use the Sniper Bit accessory and the Vital Slash Materia to quickly slay enemies. Beyond Vital Slash, the Samurai only has access to Gil Toss for damaging Materia, but it can use the Octaslash Materia to increase the odds of summoning Sephiroth to damage an enemy. The Samurai's accessories focus on boosting ATK and counterattacks, and they're the only job that can use the Genji Gear.

Suspected difficulty: high, not having AoE and having a lack of healing and VIT means Zack will fall quickly to hordes of enemies and enemies that use debuffs. Early game will be difficult due to lack of abilities outside of Attack, and access to only a few accessories early-game.

Spellblade: Similar to the Red Mage, the Spellblade can use an assortment of magically imbued sword strikes, albeit with a larger array than the Red Mage has access to. They can use all the elemental and status blades, which includes Death Blade and Stop Blade, meaning that they can easily dispatch and debuff foes. They can also use Drain Blade and Osmose Blade to sustain themselves in longer fights. They can equip each of the Shock accessories to inflict debuffs with their normal attacks, as well as the elemental Rings to add elements to their physical strikes.

Suspected difficulty: low, being able to inflict Death and Stop with normal attacks makes things a lot easier, as is the ability to drain HP and MP.

Thief: A utility job that's themed around stealing (naturally), Zack can use Steal and Mug to nab many items and can use accessories to help steal those items, find rare items, acquire more Gil, and use healing items more effectively. Late-game they can use the Power Drain and Power Osmose spells to steal HP and MP as well. Thief Zack is the only job choice that can use both the Ribbon and Super Ribbon as well as the Good-Luck Charm, Doc's Code, and Mog's Amulet.

Suspected difficulty: medium, being able to steal HP is a good thing, but they lack the MAG support to boost that damage. Until Steal/Mug are accessed, Thief Zack will have to rely on whatever he finds/whatever is dropped from enemies to stay alive.

Monk: Focuses on the Punching series of Materia as well as high HP and ATK. Their accessories are also based around HP, AP and ATK, and VIT to a lesser extent. Zack can also use the Paralyzing Shock to Stun enemies while he's beating them to death. Basically, Monk Zack punches things and they die. Gruesomely. Should punching things not work for Zack, he can use the Rush Assault Materia to improve the odds of summoning Angeal, who will also punch things to death. Punch.

Suspected difficulty: low, Costly Punch is amazing, as is Rush Assault. The biggest challenge will be staying alive and dodging debuffs from enemies, which Monk Zack has no way to heal outside of items.

Summoner: Focuses on summoning DMW allies to fight instead of Zack. Summoner Zack is quite the gamble (literally), relying on the spins of the DMW to summon allies. Naturally, Summoner Zack can equip every summon-themed Materia there is, and can boost SPR to a smaller extent with the SPR Up/SPR Up+ Materia and SPR-based accessories. Summoner Zack can also equip the Gris-Gris Bag to bestow immunity to Curse, and late-game, the normal Ribbon.

Suspected difficulty: medium-high, most Summon Boosting Materia is late-game, and you never know what the DMW will spin, making it a chaotic and random choice. With enough Summon Boosting Materia stacked, however, Zack can easily summon some pretty potent effects.

OTHER CONDITIONS:

-Materia Fusion is forbidden.

-Dependent upon job chosen, game will be played in Hard Mode or Normal Mode. Not sure which it'll be yet.

So that's that. You can vote for 3 jobs, the job with the top votes will be picked. The poll will run for 7 days. St. Ajora save me.

This is the link to the spreadsheet showing which jobs can use what Materia and what Accessories (there's two tabs). Refer to the FF Wiki if you wish to know what anything does.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1isSvA8tvBUB-nUtznkgL2LuD9SDoUJQhVZrsoN-CH8o/edit?usp=sharing
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Bonesy

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Bonesy#9386

Eternal

I love Crisis Core, and it has a lot of potential for some fun challenges. I always felt like a job system would've been really cool for it though.
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

Eternal

Eternal

And this vote is at an end! I'll begin the playthrough shortly. I can't really record it, but I'll be sure to post any interesting things that happen during it, and I encourage others who've not played Crisis Core to try a Job Challenge some time as well!

Jumza

I voted Red Mage because it seemed like the one you might have the most fun with. Crushing things easily isn't fun (if you're doing this for a challenge purpose), taking an hour to do a fight (ie White Mage) isn't fun, Red Mage seemed the best option.

Have fun ET!
  • Modding version: PSX
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Eternal

Yeah, I think it'll be an interesting run. It'll be fairly easy early-game, hard mid-game, go back down later-game when I have things like Dualcast,  Tri-Fire, and Tri-Thundaga and then be hard again end-game thanks to lack of Break Damage Limit and Break HP Limit.

3lric

Eternal

I started the game a few days ago and got to the point where Tseng is added to the DMW, but the game locks up on PPSSPP every time Tseng's Air Strike comes up. I'm playing around with the options to try and get it to work. Does anyone else encounter this issue?

3lric

Jumza

Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

3lric

Bonesy

this is why i play on a psp

because lolemuladores AYAYAYAYAYAYAYYYAYYYYY
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Bonesy#9386

Eternal

Finally got everything to work!

Highlights so far:

-Ifrit goes down easy with Endure status + Blizzard Materia.

-Bahamut was very touch and go, with a lot of Guarding and Limit Breaks, which got me a level out of it. Fire, shockingly, was the MVP of the fight, since it penetrated Bahamut's high physical defense. Blizzard has been switched out for MP Up (which became quickly Mastered in the Bahamut fight), since Blizzard's ice shard is way too slow to effectively hit anything, and it does the same damage as Thunder and Fire.

theultrawolf

Hmmm. It would be interesting if somehow you could use CWCheat to inject only the materia/equipment/items necessary to pursue that job. Or is that what you're doing? Either way, the only codes I remember for that game are ALL ITEMS LOLZORZ codes and nothing individual.

Eternal

I'm playing it like normal, except I'm forbidding the use of Accessories/Materia that the job isn't allowed to use. So far, I think my biggest obstacle is the enemies are doing a LOT of damage now, and lack of Materia Fusion means no absurd HP. It should be interesting to see how things unfold!

3lric