• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:12:40 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Journey of the Five - Chapter 1 DOWNLOAD HERE! (Current Version v1.97e)

Started by 3lric, March 25, 2013, 08:13:33 pm

3lric

Quote from: Twinees on August 26, 2015, 12:11:24 pm
(like Elric's portrait)!

Stay classy  :cool:

Quote from: KingUrameshi on August 26, 2015, 12:46:55 pm
Ogre Battle had some unique job classes like Terror Knight and Lich. Would be cool to see some stuff like that. Do what you guys feel is right, really looking forward to all the work you guys are doing as this is probably the most anticipated game for me along side some indie stuff like Americana Dawn and Chasm. You guys are the best, always courteous and hard working.

The issue is the amount of ability space, though job space is a -bit- more forgiving. So there will likely be several special Mark only monsters with skillsets franksteined from other skillsets.

And thank you very much :D it really does make all the difference for fans to give us so much praise. It's the whole reason we are making Chapter 1 so much better for all of you!
  • Modding version: PSX

leal2020

hello I am Brazilian and fan fft jorney of the five, I'm very curious to know when the chapter 2 will be released appreciate any information you give me :D

KingUrameshi

Quote from: leal2020 on August 26, 2015, 01:31:24 pm
hello I am Brazilian and fan fft jorney of the five, I'm very curious to know when the chapter 2 will be released appreciate any information you give me :D

I asked this question a few weeks ago and I don't think much has changed. This is probably the closest thing that can answer your question.

To answer the question about release. As I always say, there is no way to predict that until we are in bug testing phase.

Currently we are reworking the items in the game (which we already did once, but as making more slight changes due to finding some old resources that were assumed lost) to work well with the upgraded synth shop. It's going to add a big new mechanic to the game and because we are who we are, it has to be perfect, professionalism and Perfection is the biggest thing we strive for as it becomes less of a mod and more of its own game. The plus side of this is that once done, it'll be setup for the entire game (though of course 90% of everything will be dummied out of the re'release so none of ya'll can spoil my fun)
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.

3lric

Quote from: KingUrameshi on August 26, 2015, 03:18:36 pm
I asked this question a few weeks ago and I don't think much has changed. This is probably the closest thing that can answer your question.

DaHammerCrush

Quote from: Elric on August 24, 2015, 10:48:25 am
Link's sword beam would be derpy if he could use it with less than full life, and there isn't a way to allow an ability to be used based on the life you have.

Snake can't have claymores because you can't lay traps in FFT.

I still appreciate the post though.

Molitovs? I'm half-trolling now but I'm doing it is good fun. Back to the DT thing and this is pure conjecture so just take my outside the boxness for what its worth.

Battle starts with a persistent spell on Dante. This is a Doom Style counter, or any other CT based effect that takes away access to an action, similar to Don't Act. Once the timer resolves the DT option is opened up. The effect of this gives him the physical change (these are called all the time, Toad, etc.), and Quick, Haste, PA is increased by 25% rounded up, move increased by 2, jump increased by 3, Evasion increased by double base amount, Critical chance increased by double, and all Devil Style attacks cost 0 MP. This will last for 3 rounds then upon being resolved would put Dante into "Shock" basically rendering him with slow, 0 MP, half on remaining HP rounded up, and Don't Act for 2 rounds.

Again just captain fanboy here. But on a more serious note, I have downloaded all of the prereqs and read a lot of the documentation but am a little stalled on getting started on things could I get on live chat with one of the mods and ask some direct questions about starting out on pulling this monster apart?

All the Best,

Crush

P.S. Hypnotoads - WTF... Ouch!!!

Angel

From your preferred IRC client: irc.ffhacktics.com

mIRC or mibbit.com for Windows, irssi or xchat for Linux, AndChat for Android, why are you using a Mac? for MacOS. Join #FFH - sometimes we are all idle, but for most of the day, you will find someone willing to talk. Xifanie and I are active during the day unless work happens, Elric is active unless work happens, and Twin is antisocial.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

3lric

You can still contact me when I'm at work. You just gotta PM my phone on IRC instead of my main account. Lol

However if you are referring to pulling JoT5 apart. I won't be helping with that lol. There is a reason our resources aren't public and that everything was made in a way that being able to follow it would be nearly impossible without them :P

Nyzer

QuoteBack to the DT thing and this is pure conjecture so just take my outside the boxness for what its worth.
Battle starts with a persistent spell on Dante. This is a Doom Style counter, or any other CT based effect that takes away access to an action, similar to Don't Act. Once the timer resolves the DT option is opened up. The effect of this gives him the physical change (these are called all the time, Toad, etc.), and Quick, Haste, PA is increased by 25% rounded up, move increased by 2, jump increased by 3, Evasion increased by double base amount, Critical chance increased by double, and all Devil Style attacks cost 0 MP. This will last for 3 rounds then upon being resolved would put Dante into "Shock" basically rendering him with slow, 0 MP, half on remaining HP rounded up, and Don't Act for 2 rounds.

The problem is that this is very different from what's in the base game. You're slightly right in saying that with the existence of Toad, Devil Trigger would theoretically be possible (even if that's not true for all the effects you suggest there).

The problem is that it's realistically impossible.

Let me compare it to something far simpler, such as modding Equip Change to not take your active turn. Xif has been working on this for a few days now (and that's only as far as I know) (also, it doesn't spoil anything to say this, right, guys? >_>'), and last I heard all she managed to do so far was break the ISO when trying to implement it in Jot5 because it's clashing with other ASM alterations.

She doesn't have the luxury of working on the game the way the dev team would have. My very very minimal understanding is that the code for FFT is all compiled on our end, meaning that working on it now is like the difference between trying to set up a 20-computer LAN network from scratch (i.e. none of the computers are even out of their original packaging) in a brightly-lit, full sized room, versus trying to do it in total darkness with five inches of space while weasels are repeatedly biting your crotch.

To get a different idea of how difficult it is to mod the game in any large scope at this point in time, ask anyone here with experience what they think of WotL. WotL is practically a patchwork mod itself, and this is why it's not used, despite seeming to have superior vanilla options like a larger party size and more jobs on the wheel.
Understand that it took five years to do something as "simple" as removing the slowdown on WotL's spell animations. Meanwhile, the Onion Knight is still near-impossible to set up as a more standard job, and the only real fix to that is to abuse preexisting game functionality while squinting so as to obscure the flaws in doing it that way.

So yeah, it's not impossible, in theory, to alter Toad (or Chicken maybe) from a negative transformation into DT as a positive one. But it would be difficult, time-consuming, and require a lot of testing to hammer out everything that it fucks up just by existing. And if you're doing things like setting it to alter move range, MP costs, associated status effects, enabled abilities; to come with an automatic timer... that suddenly compounds the difficulty. Every change you make like that causes exponential growth in the complexity of the function, as well as the odds of making the ISO commit seppuku when attempting to boot up.

QuoteMolitovs? I'm half-trolling now but I'm doing it is good fun.

Thrown explosives are definitely possible though. This is just simple ability alteration, and thankfully we have easy access to that. That said, I'm not sure it'd happen - it would upset the previously established balance to some extent, and Snake also has access to projectile weapons in his base Job already. Not that skillsets are part of my domain here :P But yeah, Snake having explosives would fit his lore, at least.

I still say that Blade Beam doesn't fit the OoT-style Link though :P

QuoteHowever if you are referring to pulling JoT5 apart. I won't be helping with that lol. There is a reason our resources aren't public and that everything was made in a way that being able to follow it would be nearly impossible without them

We-ll, I did manage to figure out the relation between Bandit's Eye and Deathblow on my own before joining the team and without help ;)

But I agree. Modding Jot5 on a personal level kinda kills the spirit of the game.

And more to the point, if you're looking to set up something like a DT mod yourself, you are most definitely not prepared. As new as you are to this I don't even think you'd be quite ready to give Snake a Molotov ability, and that could be done with just Patcher and Tactext. (Once you managed to find an unused action ability, that is. On your own, that would probably take a couple hours even if you were experienced with the Patcher, unless you managed to make a really lucky guess.)

Not saying this to discourage you. I'm pretty sure that if you did manage to get a full, working DT mod (that could be balanced in the game), you would be begged for it. But at this point it's like trying to shoot down the sun with a slingshot. It's just a teensy bit out of range.

DaHammerCrush

Just know that I'm making these all-but ridiculous asks for 2 reasons. 1 its good fun and hopefully will start conversation, 2 to provide some potentially outside the box ideas. Your absolutely right, I have very little concept on how any of this would get implemented, just a basic understanding of code framework and enough knowledge about the game to be dangerous. Sometimes coming up with things when you don't fully understand the limitations can bring about a less constrained set of ideas than when you are thinking about what you can't do. I hope I'm not annoying everyone.

Thanks,

Cursh

3lric

It's not annoying at all lol. We just want to point out why some would work and some wouldn't. At some point someone may have a similar idea and this would help them determine whether or not it would be worth the time to implement.

DaHammerCrush

That's good to hear, and trust that I'm absolutely loving the game. Its just the right difficulty to make you think, though some of the randoms are sadistic, The characters are fun and well thought out. The replayability is high even with only one chapter, and I'm genuinely excited and thankfully to you guys/gals for taking the time to let this labor of love come to us. The idea of replaying the enhanced Ch.1 when the Ch. 2 release comes out is actually something I'm looking forward to since I was planning on doing a job progression focused replay anyway.

I found 3 spots where I think I can troll JP pretty easily. My goal is to have both Snake and Ramza with comet at Lvl 12 or 13, having Dante with 1-handed sword skills and Knight healing skills, having link with flare and his Adventure skills, and Cloud with all Limits and Monk skills (Equip Light/Heavy Weapons obviously so he can get off the Limits). I figure that this will KO Clouds Nemesis in 2-3 turns  :lol:

Anyway, Keep up the good work everyone.

Crush

Selius

is it possible to remove agrias' guest status without messing something up

3lric

bx7

I wanted to say, Wow... Wow and more Wow. Then thank you for the bit of childhood nostalgia that has been brought back in addtion to the extra hair falling out from the stressing out while playing this game. Haha. It is just like you said the right amount of difficult and I feel the random encounters are really random. Win some and reset and try to win some again, the Nintendo Era. I have been advertising this to my friends recently and It is unbelievable how excited I am about telling people about this game and explaining all the changes. I am another fan awaiting the sequels. My question is have you ever thought about Kickstarter or the like? I have my thoughts (legal rights with copyrights and all) but just wanted to ask.

KingUrameshi

I think the developers are trying to keep this gem on the downlo. When things get popular they tend to get ruined. I might be wrong about that though.
You have allies... Friends that would risk their lives, and I am one of them.

Angel

No money is being made by any of us for any project, so there's no legal case that can be brought against us in that regard. This is also a very good example of why no Kickstarter has been made, or will ever be made. If we ever make money from a game, I can assure you it won't be based on, using the assets of, or referencing Final Fantasy Tactics, much less the other worlds and properties found in Journey of the Five.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Pandemoniu

Quote from: Selius on August 28, 2015, 01:26:46 pm
is it possible to remove agrias' guest status without messing something up

Speaking of Guests, and I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but I am really glad we are able to take Guest characters into Random Battles and the like. So very glad you allowed that. :D

RJ Cid

Two questions

1) Is it possible to add this modded game to a "programming porfolio" that could be used to join a gaming development company? As impressive as this mod is, it would be nice to know that you guys could finally make some money at providing us with such amazing gaming experiences that don't feel "homogenized".

I can't offer any time and have almost no programming skills, but if there was a way to kick in some cash, I would absolutely be down.

2) (optional) Are there any updates on Chapter 1 re-release? (I don't mean to add any pressure. Just humbly inquiring :mrgreen:)

Xifanie

Yeah, let's make some money so SquareEnix, Capcom, Konami, Nintendo and others can sue our asses dry.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

RJ Cid

I apologize. I meant to imply that with the talent your team has demonstrated with this project, it would be nice to see programmers like you achieve financial success while creating games that we fans can truly enjoy. The portfolio idea wasn't to make money, but to show your work to obtain a position where you could make money on original properties and have more tools available. I meant no disrespect