• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:11:27 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Arbalist Job Thread (Rad/Ramza Skillset Update!)

Started by Archael, November 20, 2008, 09:02:13 am

The Damned

January 27, 2009, 12:34:03 am #120 Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 05:05:10 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "Voldemort"suggest useful ideas, not reasons why existing useful ones won't work, especially since you just said you have no idea what is and isn't editable via ASM (fyi: alot is)

It's rather difficult to suggest "useful ideas" between the current ever-changing restrictions of what you want this final attack do, Lasting Dawn not posting and all of us just posting one or two sentences on top of the fact that it's you (and Lasting Dawn) who ultimately decide what's "useful".

I mean, I obviously wouldn't have bothered suggesting the cure blindness ability if I didn't think that it might be useful without Concentrate in the game.

I'm sorry if you see my naysaying as nonproductive, but I would just rather go with what's feasible right now if possible rather than using the possibly using up the limited space we have unneccessarily. It's been why I've been trying to explain why such ideas won't work when I naysay, even if I do think that they would work.

(For the record, the real reason I disagreed with the Death Sentence one is because LastingDawn himself said that he wanted only one class to have Death Sentence.)

EDIT: Split in half.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

PX_Timefordeath

January 27, 2009, 12:52:13 am #121 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
Beelzubub's Arrow:
Nearing his death, the Arbalist asks the devil to allow him to go out with a bang. Dark Damage attack, straight line, 4 range, must be in critical, inflicts zombie, deals HEAVY damage, costs and sh*tload of mana, hits the arbalist too

boomkick

January 27, 2009, 01:55:41 am #122 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Last Frenzy-

Shoots arrows in rapid fashion to an AOE. The skill is set up so that it does AOE damage to a target area, but the Arbalist will always be in the targeted area so he takes damage and dies from it (is it possible to make this usable when critical only?).

DarthPaul

January 27, 2009, 07:49:49 am #123 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Um you guys know that arbalists are crossbowman right :?, so they don't fire arrows in one place they fire bolts. On a second glance try to avoid rapid fire skills though they make look cool a short bow is for rapid fire not a longbow or crossbow.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Archael

January 27, 2009, 08:23:41 am #124 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
The_Damned your posts are too long!

Cure Blindness is still useless even without Concentrate around. I think you need to go and witness, in-game, exactly how small the impact of Blindness is on on hit %.

Anyway, I will keep posting ideas on this when I get back from class

The Damned

January 27, 2009, 05:07:03 pm #125 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "Voldemort"The_Damned your posts are too long!

I already said that I know how much Cure Blindness would suck by the vanilla or even 1.3 gameplay mechanics. I was trying to go by what little I know of LastingDawn's overall choices so far, i.e. no Concentrate, little Death Sentence, etc.

Anyway, I split that initially post in half and the rest of this post will be what was originally in the one you complained about:

"***

Now, as for possibly useful ideas, I vaguely remember you (or someone else, it's been like two months since I remember hearing this) could get the abilities of the Arbalist to fire twice regardless of the formula used as along as Weapon Strike was marked off, is this correct?

If so, then perhaps you could make like a "Spacing" ability that uses the Throw Stone/Dash formula for knockback except that it would hit twice.

Wait...hmmm...I forget. Didn't you do such an ability already? It's been a while since I've watched the videos?

Hmmm...well, beyond that one, it becomes rather difficult to think of a technique would a)use non-magical formula, b)preferably not inflict or cancel status on others and c)possibly also fire twice.

The only thing that I could think of right now would be use Aspel/Spell Absorb's formula so that an Arbalist could get back a decent amount of MP (especially since I remember Riskbreaker being [understandably] very expensive). Problem with that one is that formula is currently both Faith-based and MA-based.

Hmmm...not much else I can think off the top of my head."

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

dwib

January 27, 2009, 08:38:37 pm #126 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
Quote from: "Voldemort"The Damned your posts are too long!

Agreed... You post like Bill Clinton. You say a lot without really saying anything.

VincentCraven

January 27, 2009, 08:52:08 pm #127 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
QuoteHow can you talk so much, yet say so little?
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

The Damned

January 28, 2009, 04:23:44 am #128 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "dwib"Agreed... You post like Bill Clinton.

That has to be the most retarded analogy I've ever heard, which is saying a lot for several reasons.

Skip Sandwich

January 28, 2009, 07:41:02 am #129 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Skip Sandwich
Now I had the mental image of Bill Clinton posting spam and jumping into flamewars on some forum, which then turned into the mental image of all the world leaders conducting buisiness on an internet forum, and it'd be all drama and flamewars and pointless spam.
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Dormin Jake

January 28, 2009, 12:18:06 pm #130 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Quote from: "Skip Sandwich"Now I had the mental image of Bill Clinton posting spam and jumping into flamewars on some forum, which then turned into the mental image of all the world leaders conducting buisiness on an internet forum, and it'd be all drama and flamewars and pointless spam.
President Obama would be doing this, but the Secret Service took away his BlackBerry.   :cry:
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

PX_Timefordeath

January 28, 2009, 07:34:47 pm #131 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
For my *ahem* Quick + Berserk Idea, can't you just hack the quick spell for instant cast, 100%, must be critical, and add berserk + self cast?

Dokurider

January 28, 2009, 07:37:32 pm #132 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dokurider
QuoteFor my *ahem* Quick + Berserk Idea, can't you just hack the quick spell for instant cast, 100%, must be critical, and add berserk + self cast?
Wasn't that the basic idea?

So, what's going on now with this topic? Are you looking for any more ideas for skills? Because I think we've tapped the idea well pretty dry.

LastingDawn

February 01, 2009, 04:30:52 pm #133 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Alright, alright... everyone, am I the only one who like's The Damned's Cure Blindness ability? It does actually have quite a bit of use (with a basic Esuna so far away... and not to mention highly expensive) It's not Incredible, but it's not Useless, Blind isn't a very uncommon status in Mercenaries (at least every Archer you run into will have it, compared to... Eye Gouge and... Blind). So I think for just the quite interesting idea of an Arbalist carrying around Eyedrops, it's a good idea.

NOW As has been said many times by this point Quick + X doesn't go. Quick is purely on its own. As it doesn't accept other Status, personally I don't mind that there are only Six (seven including the Secret Skill) skills for Arbalist, Last Stand is... well that's going to be a reaction so this doesn't quite clash with that. My only worry is people stacking the Critical status from the Cantor's and using whatever ability it is from such. As has been said, they are Glass Cannons. A Berserked unit that is low on HP is Dead, no two ways around that. On the other hand, we can use let's see... Berserk, Transparent, Haste (to protect him from Physical Damage). It shows a touch of desperation, as well as a loss of control combined with the overall survivalist character of the Arbalist.

Let's see...

Dire Straits: In a fit of desperation, the Arbalist slinks into the shadows to attack the next unwary foe that should pass him. Must be Critical: Add Transparent, Haste, Berserk

(Transparent in Mercenaries will ignore Physical, but not Magical Damage)
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

SplashWoman

August 19, 2009, 05:56:35 pm #134 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SplashWoman
Digging the sexy ranger look.

Robin Hood/Peter Pan colors.

MiKeMiTchi

August 20, 2009, 06:56:46 pm #135 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi

I like this simple one. :)
Good job Asmo X.
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

MiKeMiTchi

August 23, 2009, 08:28:10 pm #136 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MiKeMiTchi
^ yeah. Agreed.
I'll work on the female gambler sprite first, so..
someone please work on it. :P
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Archael

September 02, 2009, 02:23:31 pm #137 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Lasting_Dawn the methods I used to create the main Arbalist's skills proved to have massive bugs in 13029 (Remember Bull's Eye, Wild Blow??)

You can still make them work, but you have to be very careful about the formulas you pick

if they cause problems (you should test targeting and re-targeting with those skills to make sure) let me know and I'll fix them

Test the following whenever you get time

1) Arbalist Skillset Attacks on a job that is able to equip guns, flails, and axes. Try targeting, canceling, and re-targeting. Check damage.

2) Arbalist Skillset targeting / retargeting with xbows on the Arbalist job

LastingDawn

September 02, 2009, 02:41:51 pm #138 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Hmm, alright Voldemort will do. Thanks for the warnings.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

R999

Forgive me if this has been addressed already, but I have found AI to be notorius for shooting into obstacles in Berserk mode (talking about the last skill that you guys were discussing) as an Archer. Meaning, she will completely ignore the obstacles inbetween her and her closest target (very likely missing shots). In addition, the Berserk archer will sometimes try to walk towards her target as closely as possible, making her usefulness diminish very quickly with a ranged weapon in Berserk mode.

I was looking for a new female class to play with to practice using the patching tools, it looks like I'll have to give this job a test run soon (once I am finished with the male Paladin tank/healer job) and see how far I can get with this. FFT needs a good archer class, a very strong mid-long distance fighter. Obviously I have never played 1.3027 so I have no clue how that turned out. I would appreciate it if someone could point me towards reading about that.

edit: hmm.. playing around with FFTPatcher makes me think this class (at least a faithful implementation) simply isn't doable outside of Mercenaries. As long as there is Two Swords, other classes will be able to dual wield Crossbows as well.. which might make this class far less desirable to play with. Then there's other problems when Arbalist is used as a secondary. Their skills that are really meant for ranged weapons, but all of a sudden can become useable with weapons like Spears, etc, making some of their skills possibly slightly overpowering. Duo Wielding Crossbows will also mean they will be able to duo shot anything with a Ranged Weapon flag ticked. This means that if they have access to the Archer skillset, for example, they would be able to duo shot those skills at will. I am curious if LastingDawn might have similar problems with a faithful implementation of this class.