• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

We need MOAR Monsters

Started by CONMAN, May 29, 2011, 08:33:15 pm

CONMAN

I have game tested to check flying/walking.  I don't know if flying button on shishi needs to be checked, but I did it anyway. 

Walk frames 1, 5, and jump are definately used for monster flying Animation.  I tested this on the 1st save mustadio battle.  In the prebattle scene the characters move across the battle to corner mustadio and this caused normal walk frames to be pulled up and that looked ugly :(. Once the battle began it looked alright. (this sprite definately needs a bunch of polish.)

Messing around with this has been making me think that it might be sweet to create a vampire or skinwalker/shapeshifter.  It could have 1 sprite for walking, 1 sprite for flying (or just jumping), 1 sprite (like a true form) for critical/dead, and another one for attack (or just another one for a sp2 attack)
  • Modding version: PSX

Mysticquest

.....you spellcasters and your words.....

CONMAN

Quote from: Mysticquest on August 17, 2011, 03:44:44 pm
bird wings or bat wings?

For which?  I'm trying to get my old lady to make a female vampire, which probably would just have curled wings for walking and expand them for flight. (She's currently trying to make a humanoid spider... slowly)  As a parallel I was going to try to make a male shape shifter that would be titan sized for regular frames, 10 year old boy size for damaged, critical and dead frames. IDK about flight/jump/attack...  I would probably want to give it different skin color like blue or something...

Mysticquest

August 17, 2011, 04:17:33 pm #63 Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:28:24 pm by Mysticquest
well I was thinking of a dragon lady who shows her dragon side when she attacks I guess I'll save the Bird wings for a different monster
.....you spellcasters and your words.....

CONMAN

You should just do what ever you want.  A ridiculous number of things that get started don't get finished.  Don't worry about stepping on toes, just try to finish what ever project you want to do. 

GeneralStrife

what the hell happened to poor vincent

Kagebunji

I wonder if this ghost monster was ever tested? If not, I will put it into the game and see, it seems to have many flashy animations.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

CONMAN

I did try this actually and the attack animation looked like crap, but the rest was on it's way.  I got really burnt out on FFT and haven't touched any sprites in a while.  I have checked in to see other people's stuff occasionally.  The walk-fly seemed to work just fine as long as it was in a random battle.  I tested this in a story battle in which my "esper/ banshee/ whatever" needed to move around the map prior to the actual battle and (drunken rambling) and the walk 1-5 animations were pulled up making it look ugly.  I'm completely sure that as long as the fly check box is marked on the shishi, and everything else is set right, it wil do a walking animation while waiting for it's turn and then fly with the outstretched cape on actual movement around the map.  Compare the walking and flying animations to the ones used for flotibal or steel hawk- they match up.

Ya, I needed some time off of FFT, and before I had started posting on this board, I had nearly burned myself out tweaking and testing my personal version of this game.   Sadly this time of year I get distracted by fantasy football and- (oh yes, I am a total dork/nerd/loser) have spent less time thinking about this game and sprite.

Actually, anytime i put much time into any sprite I start thinking about some "cool new" idea that I would have trouble finishing as well...  Last time I was working on this sprite I kept thinking I wanted to make some totally nude "EVE" type chick with long hair that just covered her assets appropriately...    That one though never even got on the drawing board.. 

RandMuadDib

I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

CONMAN

No, I meant like the biblical eve.  I meant like some kind of nature goddess or feral warrior

Pickle Girl Fanboy

You mean, part Geomancer, part Druid or something?  A biomancer?  Or a goddess of life - either living things or the raw force of life, both regeneration and procreation.

Durbs

October 22, 2011, 11:24:35 pm #71 Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:28:51 pm by Durbs
Quote from: Pickle Girl Fanboy on October 22, 2011, 10:28:03 pm
You mean, part Geomancer, part Druid or something?  A biomancer?  Or a goddess of life - either living things or the raw force of life, both regeneration and procreation.

HOW DARE YOU!
:evil:

I better not be the only one who gets this.
Anyways, do you have a concept in mind (eg art)?

Kagebunji

I am sure that this Eve would be quite a lot of troubles. If you feel burned out then there is nothing else to do but take a break, it happens to me as well. Other option is to keep sprites simple, yet flashy. Lots of custom work always tires you twice as much.

Oh, and I did put it in the game, but like you mentioned, I forgot to flag some tabs, and walking loked really weird. I wil try it again today.

CONMAN

November 15, 2011, 11:04:26 am #73 Last Edit: November 15, 2011, 11:07:02 am by CONMAN
I spent some time playing around and made new attacks poses that I thought looked a lot better.  I added clawed feet to the forward poses I felt confident in keeping and tried to make new block frames... haven't seen what it looks like in game yet... I kind of think the aura as I had it looks a little funny and I just need to decide on better level up, charge and dead poses.  I really want it to look weird and unique.  

Also, I keep getting distracted everytime I work on it for long and start messing with sprite combinations.  I would like to make something large and more Monsterish (less human sized).  After being taken back a few times by the sheer amount of work to make a good monster sized creature I decided to restore an old one I saw on this site. Seushiro made exodus sprite that I thought had great potential but wouldn't work as a standard type1/type2. When run in shishi the whole thing overlaps itself and would surely look all kinds of messed up in game.  I figured with some minor creativity and a lot of shishi+screencapturing and copy paste it could become a usable monster.

Kagebunji

And you are correct! Exodus in MON type surely looks better. What I wish is that ot was bigger, like Lucavis, but this is already great. Looking forward to this! Oh, and once you are done, I would simplify it, erase the way too big amount of details it has, but that's once you are done.

CONMAN

do you think I should finish it in a monster type or lucavi?  I think the only differnce is a "charge" pose verses a dead one.

Kagebunji

MON is surely better. Mainly because I never messed with Lucavi types and don't know anything about them at all.

Celdia

I'm with Kage. Stick with MON. What you've got looks good. I'm still looking for new monster sprites and I love what you did with the Esper's attack frames. It looks a lot more threatening now than just a little, glowing fist. I would love to use it in CCP to replace the birds as my go-to flying monster when its done. I've been thinking about using your dragonman as well for a while now.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Pickle Girl Fanboy

If she had a hood and an obscured face, she'd look kinda like a ring wraith.

CONMAN

Exodus is coming along pretty fast :D I can tell that making dead poses will be annoying, but whatever....  Basically I am down to attack poses, dead and critical poses.  I have to say that the critical poses looked smashed and didn't seem worth tweeking.  I am trying out some different ones.  The original is the first picture.