• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Special Characters in random encounters

Started by Daydreams5, October 12, 2018, 09:55:24 am

Daydreams5

"Awesome okay so let me ask, so I don't go recruiting main characters on accident from the main story, is it possible to edit the random encounters so that all those hero classes have a chance to spawn in random battles? (...)"

So.... I saw this in a thread in which the OP wanted to add new classes to the game, and I actually got interested in this bit where he says something about spawning special characters in random battles and I thought "hey, this might be a valid idea..."

But then one thing struck me: What if I actually added a special character which can ONLY be acquired by inviting it via random battle? I'd like to hear thoughts on this, maybe develop some context relating to vanilla's storyline and whatnot.

Thing is... Which class would be fitting for that? I've actually been through a whole lot of thought but I couldn't quite figure out hot to make an innovative job to play the game with, lol

Any ideas?
  • Modding version: PSX
Official Newbie - at your disposal for facepalm-demaning posts!

Nyzer

Pretty sure you'd encounter that same character again in the same battle even after recruiting them. It's not really suitable unless it's a monster or something.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Daydreams5

Oh, but wouldn't I be able to work with an ENTD more or less the same way as a battle in the main scenario (from vanilla) works? As in, once I trigger the battle, I activate a switch to save this battle as "complete"? (implying it's a single chance to catch the character)

And yeah, it would be a monster to begin with, I was thinking of something like a "rare species" which you were meant to either tame or kill, get it?

Well, in the sad case which it isn't possible to code/hack it into the game (at least not in a sufficiently quick manner), thanks anyway :D

3lric

You would need an ASM to do what you are asking. Maybe Xif's 'Special Snowflakes' has something akin to what you are trying to do, but i cant say for sure, since its one of the few hacks of her that I havent played around with too much (yet)

Nyzer

Quote from: Daydreams5 on October 12, 2018, 12:29:29 pm
Oh, but wouldn't I be able to work with an ENTD more or less the same way as a battle in the main scenario (from vanilla) works? As in, once I trigger the battle, I activate a switch to save this battle as "complete"? (implying it's a single chance to catch the character)

And yeah, it would be a monster to begin with, I was thinking of something like a "rare species" which you were meant to either tame or kill, get it?

Well, in the sad case which it isn't possible to code/hack it into the game (at least not in a sufficiently quick manner), thanks anyway :D

Event battles in vanilla aren't triggered by anything related to the ENTD. That's all eventing.

The ENTD slots designated for random battles aren't triggered by anything* related to the ENTD or eventing.

*IIRC you can set them to require a designated story flag before becoming available in the Patcher, but that's it, and I don't think you can turn that back off again even if you were willing to sacrifice everything else that story flag is used for

The concept of a secret invite-only random-battle-only character is kind of interesting, but it'd be best suited for a unique monster job (implying they have a very niche breeding ground nearby or something) or a special generic - like an early Mime or something.

For a unique named character... just set up or alter a story event for them. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to edit a story battle that's just vs. monsters normally; change it slightly so instead of Ramza stumbling across monsters, Ramza stumbles across some other guy who stumbled across the monsters first. They team up, take them down, and the other guy goes "wow, this really is easier when I don't wander around monster infested forests alone in the middle of the night. Got room in your party?"
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Daydreams5