• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:36:09 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

ASM Hack Proposals (for modders and ASMers)

Started by Xifanie, August 14, 2014, 05:30:56 pm

Xifanie

September 07, 2014, 11:34:01 pm #20 Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:25:23 am by Xifanie
Quote from: The Damned on September 07, 2014, 01:47:42 pm
1. Is there a way to make an inherent cap to the stats you can buy in the Soldier Office? Or could you theoretically buy a max level regardless of your own level to as long as you've got the Gil to spend?

I was planning to just have it completely based on the money you spend.

2. Do the price for classes have to be set to default to ones you're providing there universally? Or were you merely giving an example set of prices for classes based off vanilla usefulness for particular units? ...Actually, a better question with regards to this would be: Are those prices you listed, for the human units at least, directly costed for the amount of Job Levels needed to unlock them, i.e. the more complex the job, the more expensive it automatically is regardless of actual worth?

see below

3. Does Zodiac sign factor into the cost? Or is that still randomly generated? I can't imagine there would be easy to price it anyway given most unit's Zodiacs are randomly generated save for special characters.

I was just planning to have Serpentarius unlockable if enough money is proposed.

4. Finally, is there anyway to (easily) indicate what "soldiers" might be available at which Soldier Office or do we essentially have to guess and explore as with (changes to) Item Inventory? I'm perfectly fine either; just asking for the sake of clarity.

Nope, gonna have to check wikis and stuff.
Either way, this is looks quite good. I'm glad I was also wrong about the display issue potentially being a pain in the ass. Great job.
[/quote]

More Progress, no actual code, but meh, I'm not all that worried.
Just hoping I can get feedback as to how I should change to stuff if necessary. I know there are not a lot of notes, but it's not really worth it right now.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Choto

well this turned into a monolith, glad to see it's not me turning a hack into something crazyfuckbig for once :P

I think this is the routine to edit: http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Out_of_Battle_Unit_Generation

I'm sure we could make use of this routine: : 0005d8fc - 0005da0c: Level Unit to Specific Level

I figured we'd steal the ENTD routines where if you set the units unlocked job, it will unlock give you the job levels of all the prerequisites. If we edit the Out of Battle Unit Generation, it should show what job the unit is. Could use the ??? stats flag to mask stats for randomization. I guess bonus JP would have to be added to whatever job the unit is.. i don't see how you could pick how much jp goes into which job.

Shouldn't level just be based on party level? I understand the randomization gambling, but i feel like that much should be static.

I'm not really worried about the code aside from the player input and display stuff, but you seem to be cracking that open.

kyozo22

God damn, this looks amazing/ exciting! Looking forward to the soldier office and those "hunter" support abilities. :D
  • Modding version: WotL

Vaan

I'd like to suggest a thing that annoys me alot when happens, im just not sure if it already exists or not, if it does pardon me. Anyway, you know when you move 3 spaces but your ability only would hit if you moved 4 but you cant go back? What if it was possible to go back?
"    One of these days I'll fly an airship of my own. I'll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    ,,
   ~ Vaan

Angel

I've been suggesting that one for years... how come I never posted it? >>
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Xifanie

Added Vaan/Toshiko's proposal.

Quote from: Choto on September 08, 2014, 07:24:51 am
well this turned into a monolith, glad to see it's not me turning a hack into something crazyfuckbig for once :P

I think this is the routine to edit: http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Out_of_Battle_Unit_Generation

I'm sure we could make use of this routine: : 0005d8fc - 0005da0c: Level Unit to Specific Level

I figured we'd steal the ENTD routines where if you set the units unlocked job, it will unlock give you the job levels of all the prerequisites. If we edit the Out of Battle Unit Generation, it should show what job the unit is. Could use the ??? stats flag to mask stats for randomization. I guess bonus JP would have to be added to whatever job the unit is.. i don't see how you could pick how much jp goes into which job.

Shouldn't level just be based on party level? I understand the randomization gambling, but i feel like that much should be static.

I'm not really worried about the code aside from the player input and display stuff, but you seem to be cracking that open.

Have you even seen the sheer size of my Event Instruction Upgrade hack? Or my Synthesis Shop for that matter? Not to mention the ARH... They aren't the smallest of hacks you know.

Thanks for the routine, I'll have to look into that.

How do you plan on using ??? stats on the world map? Was that function even coded in WORLD.BIN/WLDCORE.BIN? If it was, it wasn't just a flag that you can activate through the unit's world stats. I'm not particularly fond of this idea, and definitely wouldn't dwell into trying to implement it unless you find it yourself tbh.

Unless you can figure out another way to implement it, buying units based on party level is broken like hell. You could grind a single unit to say, level 50, then buy 4 other units for 1000-3000-5000 gil each at level 50, and just decimate your way through story battles. Very very strong cheap disposables.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Choto

Quote from: Xifanie on September 08, 2014, 02:32:01 pm
Have you even seen the sheer size of my Event Instruction Upgrade hack? Or my Synthesis Shop for that matter? Not to mention the ARH... They aren't the smallest of hacks you know.

Points well taken, maybe i should have left off the "for once" part of my sentence. I was just thinking of how the reaction hack went from simple to complicated; I've had it in my mind to change just the level of soldier office units so in my head my statement was a compliment to how far you've taken the idea. Derp <_>

QuoteHow do you plan on using ??? stats on the world map? Was that function even coded in WORLD.BIN/WLDCORE.BIN? If it was, it wasn't just a flag that you can activate through the unit's world stats. I'm not particularly fond of this idea, and definitely wouldn't dwell into trying to implement it unless you find it yourself tbh.

80057f74 - Party Data (256 bytes each, 20 sections)
        0x04 - Gender Byte
      0x80 - Male
      0x40 - Female
      0x20 - Monster
      0x10 - Join after event
      0x08 - Load Formation
      0x04 - ??? Stats
      0x02 -
      0x01 - Save Formation

The ??? byte apparently prevents a unit from appearing in the formation screen. I'll keep testing when i get a chance. My thought was to have their tag appear with ??? stats when picking a soldier, so you can't see what the brave and faith wind up as. That way you can't just refresh until you get super-stats.

Unless you can figure out another way to implement it, buying units based on party level is broken like hell. You could grind a single unit to say, level 50, then buy 4 other units for 1000-3000-5000 gil each at level 50, and just decimate your way through story battles. Very very strong cheap disposables.

And here I meant let the gold scale with level, but don't have a large variance on level. Just a personal preference though.

Xifanie

I think you heavily misunderstand how I plan to make the hack work: You'll get what you pay for.

• Higher level means lower stats and less JP

• Higher stats mean lower level and less JP

• More JP means lower level and lower stats

As you can see, a unit with a lower level will be better in the long run, but you can bet that you'll have soon enough earned the money to afford a unit with the extra stats and such. It really depends on how you want to go at it.

Points will be generated from the amount you pay, and will all be used; there won't be a significant loss.
Pay the base price, and you'll get a lvl 1 unit, with 0 extra JP, lvl 1 job, 40-70 brave/faith range, etc.
Pay a lot, and you'll see significant boosts across the board. What is more worth it and what is less depends on what you're looking for.

The major things that will still be more-or-less random will be raw stats and brave/faith, which can be "derandomized" based on how much you pay.
For example, let's say a Monster is generated with 35.2 HP (random range from 35 to 38) if you pay enough to get 25000 points, while full derandomization costs 50000, you'll wind up with 38-35.2 * 25000/50000 + 35.2 =  36.6 HP.
Basically, the more you pay, the less random your stats will be. That's only if you enable the feature for that particular unit.

Also, it looks like someone stupidly just copy/pasted the Battle Stats over World stats. Not only is there no load/save formation in the world map, but activating ??? stats in the soldier office pretty much resulted in nothing different. So yeah. Good luck with that. :x

Celdia

Quote from: Xifanie on September 08, 2014, 02:32:01 pm
You could grind a single unit to say, level 50, then buy 4 other units for 1000-3000-5000 gil each at level 50, and just decimate your way through story battles. Very very strong cheap disposables.

Just a passing thought as I'm reading this but...well, what's wrong with that? I mean, if someone really wants to go ahead and play the game that way, why not let them? It's not like how they decide to use your hack is going to spoil your enjoyment of the game. Not that I'm saying you shouldn't try to build for a happy balance all around but the tone of that statement - to me anyways - just seems almost derrogatory and I can't understand why. In the end, people are going to play with this stuff how they like.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Xifanie

September 09, 2014, 06:00:08 pm #29 Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:25:10 am by Xifanie
Progress!

I haven't changed the text yet, but basically the options are:

• Male

• Female

• Monster

• Change Name

• Leave Store

Angel

Those screenshots are amazing! XD

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame

Xifanie

Alright, I could really use some input right now.

So here's how things are set up right now (fully coded and working):
R1: Price = Price x 10
L1: Price = Price / 10
R2: Price = Price + 1 second digit *
L2: Price = Price - 1 second digit *

*For example the second digit in 67,000 are the thousands, so:
67,000 + 1,000 = 68,000
67,000 - 1,000 = 66,000
Likewise, in 1,000,000 the second digit are the hundred of thousands, so:
1,000,000 + 100,000 = 1,100,000
But to go up the same way as we go down, it will be considered a number with one less digit for subtracting (only for numbers starting with 1 followed by zeros)
1,000,000 - 10,000 = 990,000.

Of course you can hold the button and it will spam one way or the other... there is also a pause before it starts doing so, so that you can perform single button push without increasing/decreasing more than 1 unit at a time.

Male, Female, Monster all have their respective Price counters.
They will all cap at 500,000 because I decided that would be the max.
Male/Female will not go below 1000 because Squire/Chemist are the cheapest at 1000 gil.
Monster will not go below 3000 because Squire/Chemist are the cheapest at 3000 gil.

So
  • Should there be only one counter? As it stands, you can set your Monster price to 50,000, but Male/Female will still be at 1,000.

• Should there be one counter for both Male/Female and a separate one for Monsters? I think this makes the most sense but it might still be a bit annoying when shopping Monsters and Humans at the same time?

• Should I change the button configuration to something else more natural, and if so what? The number width is increasing toward the left, while the increase button are on the right side of the controller.

Angel

If I were deciding the layout, I would reverse L1 & L2, and R1 & R2, because it seems that 2 should be a bigger increase than 1, imo. Otherwise, it's all lovely. :o

Jumza

Quote from: Toshiko on September 10, 2014, 01:33:06 pm
If I were deciding the layout, I would reverse L1 & L2, and R1 & R2

I agree, looks so awesome Xifanie!
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

The Damned

(Excellent work, Xifanie.)

As to answering your questions, I'll try to answer them in order, partly because question 1 and question 2 are directly related to each other if I'm understanding them correctly:

1. I think that having more than one counter is better than having only one counter, especially if it's already separate. As long as it doesn't seem like it will cause you considerable issues down the line should you need to change anything, I don't see the point in consolidating all three genders.

2. Related to the above, I'd be fine whether Male and Female are separated from each other or combined together. What's most important to me is that they're kept separate from Monster "gender"/sex, really. That said, I have to wonder: Does anything "wonky" happen with regards to sex-exclusive classes like Bard or Dancer if Male & Female are combined into one counter?

3. I'm echoing Toshiko's reason for reversing L1 & L2 and R1 & R2. There's not much else to say with regards to this question really.

Good luck with this and thanks for (really fast) work on it.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Xifanie

September 11, 2014, 05:42:51 am #35 Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:24:55 am by Xifanie
Got the main routine working, just showing off some monsters. Humans work too right now, with all equipment removed (if you want equipment, go buy it yourself).

Angel

Xifanie

September 11, 2014, 11:02:38 pm #37 Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 07:24:39 am by Xifanie
Yay! Super customizable spreadsheet that will scare everyone away with a built-in simulator!

Thanks to it, I found out I really need to code some square root function or something for the bonus stats, otherwise you can get HUGE bonuses when you put in enough money... then again it could be fixed by limiting the max price enough.

Jumza

Wow :o the more customizable the better!
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Pride

Didn't FDC or SA find a square root function in the coding somewhere... Hm
Check out my ASM thread. Who doesn't like hax?