• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Menu portrait looks fine, but battle portrait's colors are all messed up.

Started by reyhan37, August 07, 2015, 10:22:32 pm

reyhan37

I've read Celdia's spriting tutorial I don't know how many times. I've tried to watch all the spriting videos I can find. Maybe I'm missing a step, but I can't figure this out. My menu portrait and sprite come out fine.

My battle portrait comes out messed up.

3lric

The tutorial works correctly, if it's not working right then you definitely missed a step or did it incorrectly. Most likely this one:
  • Modding version: PSX

Angel

Or if you did that step correctly, but re-used the same colors from the sprite on the portrait, that could be your problem.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

reyhan37

Quote from: Elric on August 07, 2015, 10:40:10 pm
The tutorial works correctly, if it's not working right then you definitely missed a step or did it incorrectly. Most likely this one:

No, I've tried that several times checking and unchecking the box.

Aiolon

correct me if im wrong but if im not mistaken Celdia's tutorial is for FORMATION like in the formation menu and unit selection before battle. however that works just fine for him but the problem here its in the Battle portrait so.. im guessing the problem is in shishi or in the SPR maybe something wrong with sprite palettes.
Wizzard: I have returned once again.
Chocobo: Wark?
Wizzard: yes.

reyhan37

I found a solution though it was unconventional. After studying the other palettes for the male samurai, I looked closely at my discolored battle portrait. With that on screen, I went into Graphics Gale and used the palette from my menu portrait to correct all the parts that were off.

Now it looks the way I want it to.

I've learned that what you see in Shi Shi is what you will see in game, even though it may look correct in Graphics Gale.

Nyzer

I'm pretty sure you messed up the portrait/sprite palette issue. When you copy your portrait over to the sprite sheet, it is VERY DEFINITELY supposed to look wrong in GraphicsGale, because it's using a completely different palette from the one your sprites do.

What I think you did was that you made your portrait in Window 1, saved it (or its palette), imported its palette into Palette Slot 9 of Window 2 (with the spritesheet), and then copied the portrait directly into Window 2. You should have first exported the portrait palette, then imported the spritesheet's palette into the portrait file (with that checkbox UNCHECKED). The colors would be screwed up, but the colors would be in the right order to match your exported portrait palette later on.

The game completely changes the palette when it sets up the battle portraits. And it recognizes the colors by "Palette Slot 1/16" instead of trying to actually match the colors.

So let's say that the 16th color of Sprite Palette 1 is one of your skin colors, and you used this exact skin color when you were making the portrait. Well, when you paste your portrait into GraphicsGale, that'll LOOK fine, but if the the 16th color of Portrait Palette 1 is Hot Dildo Pink, then your portrait's going to have Hot Dildo Pink as one of their skin colors.

Additionally, the reason the portrait looks fine in GraphicsGale is because GG can use every one of your 256 colors at once. But when you put it into FFT, the game tries to force it down to 16 colors.
Shishi's, meanwhile, has a checkbox selected by default that recolors the portrait box with the appropriate palette. If you chose Sprite Palette 1, then Shishi's matches that with Portrait Palette 1 (which is actually Palette 9 in the file). Sprite 2 matches Portrait 2 (10).

In short: it's supposed to be messed up in the file, and Shishi and the game will auto-set the portrait to the correct matching palette for you.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

3lric

Quote from: nyzer on August 08, 2015, 03:24:12 pm
I'm pretty sure you messed up the portrait/sprite palette issue. When you copy your portrait over to the sprite sheet, it is VERY DEFINITELY supposed to look wrong in GraphicsGale, because it's using a completely different palette from the one your sprites do.

Open the sprite in palette editer, click the first color on the sheet and then save the sheet. It'll fix the port without it having to be in shishi to see how it'll look.