• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:56:33 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Ability Requirement Hack Troubles

Started by LastingDawn, June 14, 2011, 02:27:45 pm

LastingDawn

Hello, it's been some time since I've posted a topic but this seems a better place to ask than IRC, I feel, hence the reason why we have the Help Forum at all I suppose, heh.

Well to cut to the chase, I've set up a very specific ARH for Mercenaries (a necessity in the Synergy skillsets) yet whenever I try to input it into the game, the game simply locks up when I go to battle, or will lock up when I go to attack something. I've tried so many different methods so I can't say for sure which is which at the moment.

FDC took a look at the actual table data and when he inputted it into his game it worked fine, but I have tried a clean Battle.bin and Clean SCUS at least a dozen times by this point and nothing seems to change.

I can't figure this out on my own, so here is my ARH and Battle.bin. Please tell me if it works on a clean copy and  if it does then see if it would happen to work on the enclosed Battle.bin.

I'm sorry that it had to come to this, but I've exhausted every other turn.

http://ld.ffhacktics.com/Data%20Table.txt - Here's the data table.

http://ld.ffhacktics.com/ARH%20Mercenaries.xls - Here's the ARH.

http://ld.ffhacktics.com/Battle.bin%20Mercenaries - Here's the Battle.bin

"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

GeneralStrife

If it worked fine for FDC maybe its your iso?

RandMuadDib

mercenaries isnt dead? that makes me happy
I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

LastingDawn

I tried that GeneralStrife and no luck, I tried it with a clean everything with the only things being patched in were the SCUS and Battle.bin at least several times.

Art of War

LastingDawn

I don't mean to sound discouraging, but this is really the last thing that is needed before I can really continue working on the project, if this doesn't get fixed than the project is truly dead. As I have said I have tried everything, I just need someone to tell me if this works for them or not.

Art of War

Wiz

Perhaps if you made a video of a step-by-step process on how to do this, I could test it out for you and see if it works ;)

I may not know anything about hacking whatsoever, but I know for fact a visual tutorial of the appropriate steps that are needed makes things a breeze for matters such as this.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

pokeytax

June 16, 2011, 06:33:05 pm #6 Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 06:51:44 pm by pokeytax
I know how frustrating it is to sit and wait for help before progressing, but don't worry, even if it takes a couple days, no one's gonna let your patch die for lack of an ARH. I haven't posted until now because I'm tinkering with the ARH and figured that might clear things up all by itself.

Buuut since you were a bit verklempt, I took a look anyway - you have "03 " instead of "03" in cell C9 on your 'Table' tab, which is introducing a space into the code. Try copying down cell C8 and if that doesn't work, I promise, I will literally rewrite the ARH until it does. (Yeah, it appears to not be crashing, at least with a vanilla BATTLE.BIN.)
  • Modding version: PSX

Xifanie

It might be because you already use the old fury hack which is crushed by the ARH? I don't know if I have done anything yet to solve this problem.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

LastingDawn

Quote from: pokeytax on June 16, 2011, 06:33:05 pm
I know how frustrating it is to sit and wait for help before progressing, but don't worry, even if it takes a couple days, no one's gonna let your patch die for lack of an ARH. I haven't posted until now because I'm tinkering with the ARH and figured that might clear things up all by itself.

Buuut since you were a bit verklempt, I took a look anyway - you have "03 " instead of "03" in cell C9 on your 'Table' tab, which is introducing a space into the code. Try copying down cell C8 and if that doesn't work, I promise, I will literally rewrite the ARH until it does. (Yeah, it appears to not be crashing, at least with a vanilla BATTLE.BIN.)

Thank you for your help everyone, but of course the solution was the most easy to fix... who knew that a single space could cause so much chaos...? Thank you very much Pokeytax, the project is saved! I still cannot fathom for the life of me why it wouldn't work for me when it appeared to work for others? In any case, that problem is fixed but now a stranger problem rears its ugly head...

Help text freezes the game outside of battle, almost as if the game itself is mocking me for being too detailed, now I would have assumed that may have been the case, but I've actually taken steps to curb some of the more... story like descriptions so I know space is not the issue here, it only happened when I successfully applied the ARH, which of course makes little sense to why it would do such.

Art of War

LastingDawn

June 20, 2011, 12:57:08 pm #9 Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 01:02:24 pm by LastingDawn
Alright, it appears to freeze in both psxfin and epsxe, so it's no emulator dealing.
This is on a fresh Battle.bin with only the ARH implemented.

The illegal opcodes seem to change depending on where the freeze occurs.

As I said this one isn't game breaking (well in a way it is, but not for testing purposes)

Art of War