• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:15:40 pm

SHISHISPRITE

Started by Mrfuzzy, July 13, 2018, 06:47:40 pm

3lric

First. There is no need to double post. We have an edit button for a reason.

Second. It tells you literally right in that error, what the issue is. You have your .bin file already open in another program... probably CDMage. Close it and try again...
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

Yeah, I've gotta say - modding requires a fair bit of independence and computer literacy.

You didn't read the entire row when you were trying to download the right file, didn't thnk to even try clicking any of the blue hyperlinks in the row, and just gave up immediately.

You didn't read the error report, and just gave up immediately.

Or, at least, that's how it looks... since in both cases the solution should have been fairly obvious if you'd simply been reading the information that was on the screen.

Needing help with your modding effort is one thing, but you're basically asking us to read the screen for you at this point.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Mrfuzzy

Okay yeah true
So I figured I try to do more trial and error
So now I'm stumped with something reasonable to ask help for
I'm trying to switch ramzas Sprite and I followed the tutorial
Now I follow every step but in one of these steps it says to go to file and save but there is no option to save on shishi

Other than that, the Sprite work but whenever he kneels in the opening scene, the Sprite turns into a pile a poo
So I'm guessing I did something wrong
I tried the process server different ways but it was the same outcome

3lric

Thats a EVTCHR being called over his sprite, in the event, and looks wrong since its calling its pallet from the sprite you inserted. So youd have to event code around that or make new evtchr frames from hand using the sprite appearance and pallet of the new sprite you inserted.

Xifanie

To add to what Elric said, pretty much no one ever does that because of the amount of work involved: spriting is hard, and take a lot of time. You can remove all the custom animation calls, but it will kill the atmosphere of some events.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Mrfuzzy

Yeah that sounds a bit out of my league.
I'll just have to deal with it
Okay so I watched the tutorial on YouTube and I'm guessing its outdated because the tutorial on here has different steps, but I noticed in my first try
, all I did was switch the Sprite on shishi and not replace the spr file in the battle folder in Cd mage and it worked
Then I did everything as said on the tutorial and it was the same outcome
Do you only need shishi and the custom Sprite at this point or should I still be replacing the file on Cd mage?

Xifanie

I'm not sure what that tutorial is about, but you don't need CDMage for any sprite anymore. Shishi can pretty much import/export them all.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Mrfuzzy

July 22, 2018, 06:09:44 pm #27 Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 08:04:52 pm by Mrfuzzy
Okay awesome that clears up a lot
So now since that tutorial is no longer valid would any please let me know if the formation Sprite change tutorial is also no longer good?
If it isn't can someone please let me know a quick process
This is the current tutorial on hacktics for in formation Sprite change
Btw I have tried so far on shishi but i didnt see any buttons or options for changing the in formation sprite

Xifanie

That tutorial is extremely outdated.
As for changing formation sprites, just Image + export/import just like you would regular sprites

And you really don't need to take screenshots of everything. Just link to the page.

Mrfuzzy

Okay but where am I importing exporting ? on shishi or ? which button or option on the shishi tool do i select

Xifanie

You have to realize that if you are constantly asking how to accomplish the most simple of things on a computer, you won't get better at it. We are a video game modding community; we're talking about people altering code and developing tools, requiring a very high level of computer skills in general -- not a Computer Science 101 class.

You need to learn to develop a sense of intuition towards how programs work. After all, most programs usually have exactly the function you're looking for, if you're willing to spend 5-30 seconds searching for it.

We realize that FFT Modding is probably the only reason you will touch a computer at all for the next 10 years, but we are also not paid to teach you computer basics (we're not paid at all). To say the least: this is a lot more than what we bargained for.

Speaking of computer basics, to screenshot a window by itself and not your whole desktop, use Alt+Printscreen instead of Printscreen on its own.

Mrfuzzy

Okay well if that's the case then you guys should update the tutorial section of the website as its misleading information
Plus when I first came here asking for help I was directed to the tutorial section so that's what I did
Had I not tried at very all I honestly would have given up already
It's funny you mention my own ambition or conviction as I actually have been trying to figure it out, you see you perspective on this stuff is like baby toys because you're computer literate, also because you probably took classes
I'm going back to school in fall for computer science
All you're really doing is judging my ability and my willingness to want to do this , not cool
Plus I also went through the forum section of tutorials and that was outdated too, correct me if I'm wrong
To top it off, if it's so simple, I'm baffled you rather waste your time lecturing me instead of just giving a quick example
Keep it classy 😉

Xifanie

I'll have you know I did have computer science classes. Yes.
In High School, we used macs. I don't even remember how they work or anything.
In college, my I was teaching stuff to my computer science teacher.
Do you think that knowledge is better than experience? Most people learn better by applying knowledge, not just by reading it. But in this case, we're talking about a very basic computer skill, which involves developing your ability to quickly locate functions you wish to use, by playing around with programs and seeing that does what. Y'know, like going through all a dungeon for items and special things instead of going straight to the boss.

Quote from: Mrfuzzy on July 23, 2018, 11:52:28 am
All you're really doing is judging my ability and my willingness to want to do this , not cool
Plus I also went through the forum section of tutorials and that was outdated too, correct me if I'm wrong
To top it off, if it's so simple, I'm baffled you rather waste your time lecturing me instead of just giving a quick example

Have I been anything but polite? I only told you that you should develop a single skill, that had nothing to do with FFT Modding specifically, but tools do have a GUI, and being able to use programs with more ease, making your life a whole lot easier.

Take my mom for example. All the time she will ask me to do X and Y in a program I've never touched myself. I usually find exactly what she's looking for under 20 by simply using the interface logic I've developed over the years.

...Would it not be worth investing in such a skill, instead of creating a forum post, waiting 8 hours for someone to tell you what you could have figured out in 20 seconds if you had exercised your brain for it? All FFTPatcher, Shishi, FForgASM and several other have very intuitive GUIs, for navigation anyway.

Personally, I seek to better myself everyday. If that's not something you can identify with, that's cool; I don't judge.

Mrfuzzy

Wow talk about arrogance at its finest
Put your guns away, I'm just a pup in the world of computer literacy, with your "outstanding" perception of the knowledge you see in me, you should be able to understand that Ikow almost nothing about how programs work on computers nor the computer language
You're clouded by your arrogance and you lack social empathy. Get off your high horse and see me eye to eye
Lighten up and dont let me ruin your mood off of a simple question
I just bought my very first computer 2 months ago, I'm going to start taking classes this fall so I can understand the world of computer programming and computer science
The admins here seem more invested in feeding their egos than actually helping out, even if it baffles you the lack of knowledge shown
Shares yours instead, dont curve me about the way you process yourself me and you are not the same but we have one thing in common for sure
This amazing game
Like I said
Lighten up, spread positive energy
Not this condescending b.s.

Xifanie

...Why is it so far-fetched to you that I am being honest?
You preach to not judge and yet you assume that I'm lying... please, "Do as I do, not as I say".

Mrfuzzy

I never accused you of lying
I've seen the way you you treat newbies around here
This isn't a community
You guys discriminate those who dont measure up to your knowledgeable standards
Maybe you should have requirements to join this site based on knowledge
Please spare me the fuxking modesty, I'm 27 and I have 3 kids
I'm not a social idiot

Xifanie

If I didn't lie, what did I say to hurt you?

Mrfuzzy

No not hurt me
I think if anything I hurt you
You seem deeply invested in trying to convince me in how I should be applying my knowledge
All I'm asking is for you to share it
You keep ignoring everything else I said
Can we agree that you lack social empathy the way I lack computer experience/knowledge

Aiolon

@Mrfuzzy i'd hate to get involved into this pointless discussion about people telling you to give it a try and play around with the tools you have to try to familiarize with them and find the solution to the problems by yourself while all you do is reject that tip feeling like a victim using the excuse of "us" knowing a lot more than you...

since you seem to need HELP just say what exactly is what you would like to learn and i will write a step by step tutorial for you using the most updated version of shishi, if after that you still don't know how to do what or give up because it is to complex then im sorry but there won't be a way for us to help you.

Xifanie is being very polite to you and is not like we discriminate people with little knowledge but guess what... this is a site about hacking a game and let me tell you that i know little to nothing about hacking but this community has developed great tools for us hacking ignorants to play around without having to go through super complex coding so i can understand the frustration when they meet people with very little knowledge needing help with the already simplified things. (shishi is a perfect example)
i was a noob too and i asked this kind of things too but i realized that experimenting was a funnier thing to do and no, i didnt break my computer or corrupted my operative system while i played with the tools.
Wizzard: I have returned once again.
Chocobo: Wark?
Wizzard: yes.

Nyzer

Here's the thing, dude.

Did anyone get snappish at you for the issue with Ramza's animation? No, everyone just calmly explained it. If this is just about feeding egos and feeling superior for already knowing stuff, then you'd've seen that attitude there, too, because Ramza's EVTCHRs not going well with any attempted sprite change is a well-known issue by basically anyone who's ever thought of changing his sprite.

But nobody did that. Why? Because the issue isn't obvious to someone who just rolled on in here. You can't just find out why it happens by checking the obvious tabs in Shishi or wherever. Hell, I'm pretty sure you can get that exact bow/crouch animation just with any regular sprite, no special event character required - the devs probably made a custom sprite for it really early on before implementing a general crouch animation for all characters. So to an outsider it looks like Ramza (or Rad, if you switched him up instead) glitching like fuck with a completely normal animation for no goddamn reason all of a sudden.

With this question, however, it is more obvious. It's not as bad as your two posts prior to the animation glitch, but it was still right there at your fingertips. If you'd poked around with Shishi at all, you'd have found it easily. It was four clicks and one dropdown menu away: File, Open ISO, choose ISO, Other Images, scroll down dropdown menu to see the listing.

Sure, it wasn't staring you right in the face like those other two occasions, but... did you not poke around at all? Shishi doesn't have much to check. And that's what people are trying to push you to do - poke around and learn things for yourself.

Xifanie's anecdote about her mother is something I've experienced, too (well, not with her mother - Xif and I live on far opposite sides of Canadaland) - someone calls me over to help them with their Thing I have no experience with, but I just poke around for 30 seconds with the really basic and obvious options and find a solution immediately.

Not only is it less annoying for people to stop and help you out with very simple problems, it's also considerably faster for you if it's something you can find out in 30 seconds just by poking around.

Nobody expects you to know the ins and outs of every program you touch, but if you have the desire to mod a video game, we do expect you to have the initiative to at least check out the options of the simplest tools available before asking how to perform the simplest functions.

As for the tutorials, two things. First, did you notice how no one expressed annoyance with you for being misinformed by the outdated tutorials? Again, something that wouldn't be obvious to an outsider.
Second, there're a few reasons the tutorials around here don't really see updates:

a) Most of the time, they do still work.

b) Most of the reason they're outdated is because they've been replaced with something that can do the job a hundred times more easily. You don't need a tutorial to edit Formation sprites in Shishi: just get to the dropdown menu & go to town.

c) Even in cases when they probably should be updated, few people see the benefit of bothering to put the work in, due to there being very few people around here who want to actually try doing anything worthwhile for more than five seconds.

I'd compare the time I learned event editing to another promising user: in both of our cases, we were directed towards an outdated tutorial that used a slightly different format for event commands. We both cut our teeth on it, occasionally coming across glitched failed events we needed to ask questions about. Then RavenOfRazgriz came along, urging us to use his updated version of an event editor.
I built a couple more events with no issues before I switched, and mildly regretted not having done so earlier.
The other user made like three topics asking for help with problems Raven's new editor would have warned them about before everyone put their foot down and said "dude, no more, just switch so it's easier on everyone, you're using outdated commands, it's harder to find out what's going wrong thanks to that." The other user then disappeared entirely.

Could I have benefited from starting with a more recent tutorial? Sure, maybe. Did I need it? No. And neither did the other guy - Raven's new editor has a list of all the current commands and how they're structured. But the other guy couldn't be bothered to listen, couldn't be bothered to put in the very minimal effort required to switch tools.

And I don't think there's really been any other notable user trying to learn how to edit events over the last... three years? A few rare posts here and there, but that's it. Could be wrong though.

Point is, there's been so few people that it's not really worth the time to make up a new tutorial.

QuoteYou guys discriminate those who dont measure up to your knowledgeable standards

Look, I'll be blunt. The issue here is you're trying to punch way above your weight level. You're basically at the level of not yet remembering which button on the Xbox controller is "shoot", but still trying to ask others how to have the top K/D ratio in Call of Duty. And then getting defensive when people get mildly annoyed and suggest or outright tell you to go take some time to figure out how to stop throwing grenades at yourself first.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown