• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:35:55 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Cody's Sprites

Started by CodySpie, January 06, 2014, 06:54:05 pm

CodySpie

January 06, 2014, 06:54:05 pm Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:11:37 am by CodySpie
Hello Hacktics folks!

If you're a fan of the Spriting section, you may have seen my request to make Ramza a little more of a Patriarch. While I was waiting for someone to come to my rescue, I started playing around and created my very first functional sprite, complete with portrait!

This was my first Sprite ever made, and consisted of over 10 rough copies and drafts, the Sprite Body is a modified version of KillerGamers Orlandu/King mix. the final product was a result of the mistakes I made and edited appropriately. So here it is, made with love! I hope you enjoy it.
===================================================================================================
I've received some really Positive Feedback about my King Ramza sprite, so I whipped up 2 more that are a little more traditional.

Heaven Knight Ramza
Credits to Knox for providing the Base Body That I built onto. Thanks Knox!

You know what I always loved? The outfits used by characters such as Wiegraf and Izlude, something about a robe and sash just makes life a little more bad ass. But there is a certain element that remains drab, so I added a cape for good measure!

This was a brutal project, and I'm sure it could use a few touch-ups. I cropped all of the cape frames separately before I added them to the sprite, this process took me about 4 hours. From there, I added my own personal flare in working the palettes. The original Palette was much too bright, however so I had to darken it significantly, the arms suffered a little bit in the process and from there, I went to work on the head.

Heaven Knight Generic
Well lets face it, not everybody loves Ramza as much as I do, so I've got a special treat for you! in addition to the new Ramza Sprite, I've created a Generic version of the sprite for you to use at your leisure. Save it onto your computer, send it to a friend, burn it alive, use as a job sprite, it doesn't matter it's yours to use! I underwent the same process for the Generic Sprite that I did in the Ramza Sprite, my saving grace however was that the cape was already saved and ready to be applied. Many thanks to Zozma for his work on sprites, and the Portrait used in the Generic file.

These Sprites are completely free range, so play around with them! If you end up completing something awesome, post your changes! :)

EDIT 1: If anyone would like to throw on a nifty looking pattern on to that cape, be sure to post it, I'd love to see it!

• Modding version: PSX

3lric

January 06, 2014, 07:50:14 pm #1 Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:03:08 pm by Elric
Not bad at all! Of anything, I'm mostly impressed with the amount of time you took to turn this out.
Wasn't it just yesterday that you posted the broken one? Well done with following through on it.

The sprite itself is good too, a bit strange to see Ramza like that, but good none the less.
(the blue might be a bit too bright, might I suggest you use palette editor to swap the blues
with the ones on the Wizard?)

Looking, I can see that you also have the portrait Glitch, which it looks like you tried to correct by taking
off the top line of pixels from the Portrait. This is actually happening not because of alignment, but
because the first color in the palette for the portrait is not the same as FFT, it's close, but not exact.
Open up a vanilla sprite and look in the first color for every portrait palette, that is what needs to be the
first color in your port portrait palette as well.

Lastly, also about the Portrait, why is there the line around the picture? like it cuts off the blue at the
bottom of the portrait. Vanilla never does this, and if you want the port to look normal in game you
should probably fix this as well.

CodySpie

January 06, 2014, 08:14:10 pm #2 Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 08:19:25 pm by CodySpie
Quote from: Elric on January 06, 2014, 07:50:14 pm
Not bad at all! Of anything, I'm mostly impressed with the amount of time you took to turn this out.
Wasn't it just yesterday that you posted the broken one? Well done with following through on it.

The sprite itself is good too, a bit strange to see Ramza like that, but good none the less.
(the blue might be a bit too bright, might I suggest you use palette editor to swap the blues
with the ones on the Wizard?)

Looking, I can see that you also have the portrait Glitch, which it looks like you tried to correct by taking
off the top line of pixels from the Portrait. This is actually happening not because of alignment, but
because the first color in the palette for the portrait is not the same as FFT, it's close, but not exact.
Open up a vanilla sprite and look in the first color for every portrait palette, that is what needs to be the
first color in your port portrait palette as well.

Lastly, also about the Portrait, why is there the line around the picture? like it cuts off the blue at the
bottom of the portrait. Vanilla never does this, and if you want the port to look normal in game you
should probably fix this as well.

Indeed, it was just yesterday that I posted the broken sprite!

I'll play around with the Palettes a little bit to make the blue easier on the eyes, the reason I used the blue you see above is because it's a color I can see clearly. I'll pull up the RGB numbers for the Portrait background as well, the Vanilla and what I've used may look like the exact same color to me! so it'll be the numbers that make it perfect. :)

The line at the bottom of the Portrait is a "new guy" mistake. I'll open up the file and crop it so it sits juuuuuuust right. It's actually the part of this project that gave me the most trouble. I got it all colored and shaded okay, imported it into the spritesheet but when I went to preview the entire project the Portrait would black out, go negative or just not appear in the document at all. I used Mavs Portrait Tutorial to get it displaying properly.

Thanks for all the feedback, Elric! Here's hoping I'll have more to display in the future. Spriting is tough work but rewarding none the less. Lol

IronArm

Very nice improvement!

Elric has already provided all of the feedback that I would have mentioned, so I'll just talk about what I like about it :P

If you were able to just do this in a day, I'm really looking forward to what you can do once you have more time! When I see this sprite it really makes me wonder about if the Hokuten won and Ramza was the leader.

Really nice work and looking forward to seeing more in the future.

CodySpie

I've received some great Feedback from my King Ramza Sprite. Many thanks, it means a lot! I got cracking on a few new sprites to showcase to see what people think, you'll find them in the Original Post. :)

Teapott

Hi-ho~
so, I did 2 palettes, the first is with the "correct" hair palette, and the second is the "correct" armor palette
Try fixing the Hair and Armor pixels, then it'll work properly~
Seeker of the Cosmos

CodySpie

January 07, 2014, 07:09:26 pm #6 Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 07:36:39 pm by CodySpie
Quote from: Teapott on January 07, 2014, 07:02:49 pm
Hi-ho~
so, I did 2 palettes, the first is with the "correct" hair palette, and the second is the "correct" armor palette
Try fixing the Hair and Armor pixels, then it'll work properly~

They look beautiful, thanks Teapott! I'll start fiddling in Gale to see if I can get those pixels to cooperate.

Do you think you could send me some of your palettes that I can use for future reference? :)

3lric

January 07, 2014, 08:07:22 pm #7 Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 12:30:28 am by Elric
I like this, however, the Sprite has a shrine knight body, but the body in the Portrait is from the Knight.

O_o

CodySpie

Quote from: Elric on January 07, 2014, 08:07:22 pm
I like this, however, the Sprite has a shrine knight body, but the body in the Portrait is from the Knight.

O_o

Good eye, Elric! I'm working on a portrait for the sprite now, I'm looking to incorporate the improvements that Teapott generously offered on the palettes into the portrait itself. Right now my largest trouble is keeping it within the 32 color range. I'll post back when I have something to show!

EDIT 1: I've completed the Portrait and updated the Spritesheet with Teapotts Palette and the finalized Character portrait :) Big thanks again to Teapott for getting all of the proper colors together, which is something I just can't do myself :P

IronArm

I really love the Shrine Knight body and portraits myself and really like your idea for Ramza as a Heavenly Knight.

I did a portrait just for fun. Feel free to use it or do whatever you'd like it with it.

CodySpie

Quote from: IronArm on January 08, 2014, 12:59:09 am
I really love the Shrine Knight body and portraits myself and really like your idea for Ramza as a Heavenly Knight.

I did a portrait just for fun. Feel free to use it or do whatever you'd like it with it.

Shrine Knights have always been some of my favorites too! That's a really solid Portrait IronArm, I really like it! Let me attach it to the spritesheet and I'll Re-upload it with the one you contributed! :)

EDIT 1: I've updated the Sprite with the changes that Teapott and IronArm have supplied. Thank you so, so, so much for tackling this Sprite with me. It wouldn't have come out near as awesome without the time and effort you contributed and I couldn't have done it without you!

Cheers to future sprites!

Prouncer

August 13, 2017, 12:54:20 am #11 Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 01:44:21 am by Prouncer
Sorry for the bump, however, there where some issues with the Heaven Knight sprite and I fixed those issues for my game and wanted to share the time savings for others.

I wanted to use this as my chap 4 sprite but noticed a few issues with the sprite.

1. The walking animation with the cape was too large and caused parts of the cape to show up in the wrong animations.

2. The kneeling cast animation also had parts of the cape show up as the sprite next to it was also too large.

3. The portrait did not show up correctly as the colors where using 18 instead of 16, causing parts of the portrait to show up white.

4. I made other minor alterations to include more detail on the belt as well as adding more length/detail to the blue tunic in the back of the model.

5. Many sections inside the model where originally black pixels, instead of the dark grey that everything else uses. This made odd parts of the body and inside cape area transparent. I changed these black pixels to dark grey, so that none of the model is transparent.

Hopefully this will help anyone wanting to use this sprite in the future that would have noticed some of those issues and not want to spend the time dealing with them as I did.

It also took me several hours since I am not even a spriter.