• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Recompilation

Started by formerdeathcorps, February 28, 2011, 03:51:15 pm

Mega_Tyrant

here's a comparison video (not by me), It's pretty much exactly like that.  However the video doesn't show the sound desync very well (most annoying part imo).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNnyH-yS6lw

RAWR!

Darkholme

April 06, 2011, 09:37:23 am #61 Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:13:13 am by Darkholme
Hmm. I don't think that's behaving like lag. That looks intentional.

Has anyone compared PSX English spell time to PSX Japanese spell time? I wouldn't be surprised if the PSX version of the game had sped-up animations here and they didn't bother to re-speed up the new translation. I mean, they dumbed down the difficulty in the psx english version as well.

Does the japanese WotL also have the slowdown?

http://www.nme.com/movies/trailers/id/lDayDcOR9xQ/search/movie
I dunno; I could go either way on that one.

Those are some funky sprites/portraits though. Look at delita, ramza, and those chocobos at 0:23 in.

Japanese PSX Version. and a guy talking about the PSP Port
http://www.chaptercheats.com/gamevideoplay/psp/24083/Final-Fantasy-TacticsWar-Of-The-Lions-Part-II/LEGvaRxgltM/

Yep. it's apparently on purpose. I'll try out the Japanese ISO when I get the chance.

If it really goes away when you use FuSa I'm definitely interested in what it does. But this might involve ASM to the animations, and I don't imagine that would be the easiest thing to do.

Soo from what I understand, for whatever godforsaken reason, the slowdowncomes from them intentionally capping the FPS  during those animations at roughly half the speed they used to go. This was a design decision. Apparently the north american port was sped up slightly beyond the japanese version.

This might actually be as easy as finding where it is and changing a number; to raise the framerate during spell animations.

Also, this confirms my earlier mention that the PSX version runs at full speed on the PSP.

Atma

yeah, PSX version runs like a charm.  I've played WotL off my memory stick and UMD and they both have the same result with the effects.  I've tried FuSa, as well... the skill animations work much better, but the entire game runs slower.  i've tried a few games, it's just how it works.  on the site there's a compatibility list and most of the games mention that it runs slow, however, if the developer is able to decrease the slowdown or fix it entirely, it would definitely be all i'd need for the skill lag fix. 
of course, fixing it in a more accurate or direct way would probably be better.
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

Darkholme

Actually. I think if FuSa sped up; you'd have the skill Lag Back.

From what I understand from the articles I read when I was looking this up: They limited the FPS during skills to 15, instead of the usual 30-60.
From when I used FuSa with other games, what I got was a framerate drop. (Presumeably couldn't handle full-speed.)

So I think what's happening there is likely that FuSa can handle 15 FPS just fine, and can't handle full speed. So the rest of the game slows down, but the skill animations are going slow enough that FuSa doesn't lag them further.
:/

Of course, don't know that as a fact, just putting my experiences with FuSa together with what I read about how the slowdown was implemented.

Glain

Darkholme: Figured I'd check this thread out as you referred me from the other one. This is an interesting topic... I know next to nothing about the PSP version, though, so I could probably only offer logical/process insight, little else... (Unless randomly writing ASM helps things, but somehow I doubt it :))

I read a theory somewhere that the slowdown could have something to do with the PSP's vertical sync being slower... but if the PSX version runs fine on the PSP, then that wouldn't explain it.

One question, and maybe this has already been addressed, but what would happen if you took the effect files from the PSX ISO and put them into the PSP version? The idea being that the effect files have something to do with the animations, so maybe they could also affect the speed...
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Darkholme

Quote from: Glain on April 08, 2011, 11:28:43 pmOne question, and maybe this has already been addressed, but what would happen if you took the effect files from the PSX ISO and put them into the PSP version? The idea being that the effect files have something to do with the animations, so maybe they could also affect the speed...

That's an interesting idea. and they didn't add any new special effects. That might be one thing to look into.

What file has the graphical engine in FFT on the PSX?

MysticKnightFF5

Quote from: Darkholme on April 08, 2011, 10:32:57 pm
Actually. I think if FuSa sped up; you'd have the skill Lag Back.

From what I understand from the articles I read when I was looking this up: They limited the FPS during skills to 15, instead of the usual 30-60.
From when I used FuSa with other games, what I got was a framerate drop. (Presumeably couldn't handle full-speed.)

So I think what's happening there is likely that FuSa can handle 15 FPS just fine, and can't handle full speed. So the rest of the game slows down, but the skill animations are going slow enough that FuSa doesn't lag them further.
:/

Of course, don't know that as a fact, just putting my experiences with FuSa together with what I read about how the slowdown was implemented.

Logical theory is logical. Let's run off of that and see where it gets us...
by the way...
"the secret was to move the REST of the universe! Not your ship!!"
sounds like the same situation, lol

Atma

wow, been a while since the last post here.  I'm wondering if anyone is still interested in working on this?  I know a lot of people don't even wanna touch this version of the game cause of that damn skill lag, but other than that there's a lot of good reasons to mod this over the PSX version.  More Jobs, Abiilites, Equipment... added story content and battles, cinematics and alternate dialogue(yes, some people hate it, but it's easily replaced to the original or whatever u prefer)... and my favourite reason is that's it's 16:9 screen ratio.  I hate playing games on widescreen tv's that only fill up the 4:3 area >.>
I know Tethical is getting a lot of attention these days, but having a good custom version the the game is nice to have, at least while we wait for more work on it to be done.
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.