• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:26:17 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Suggestion for FFTPATCHER: equipment penalties / negative values

Started by reyhan37, August 03, 2015, 04:01:23 pm

reyhan37

I got the idea for implementing equipment weight from a few posts on the forum. I found that FFTPATCHER does not allow (to the best of my knowledge) for negative values. To implement weight, I would have to give speed bonuses to lighter equipment, which throws a whole bunch of other stuff off (long bows come to mind).

I'm not sure if this is a feasible mod, or already in the works, but I thought I would put it out there.

Xifanie

That's because the game does not inherently support negative stat "bonuses". Me as well have others have attempted to do this, only to encounter a multitude of graphical glitches which really makes it not worth it.

We're talking about a lot of work to be able to accomplish something like this. Yes, it would be nice, but I don't feel it's worthwhile.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Kaijyuu

Can the "null/empty" item be given stat bonuses? Sure it'd be kinda weird to have +5 speed baseline for every unit but it'd effectively allow you to do what you want.

EDIT: My attempts seem to show this is impossible to do with just the patcher. Maybe an ASM hack can overcome any hardcoding of the first item slot.

gatebuster202

Doing it the long way, (giving everything else +1-2 speed) would just require some balancing on your part. (I am considering it, but only after I get everything else working as intended) We could discuss the merits of this elsewhere, if your interested.
Winner of the 2nd FFT Arena SCC Tourney. -Geomancers

Xifanie

If you make every piece of equipment something like 01 instead of 00 as their Item Attribute ID, yes, you can make empty slots Item Attribute 00) give +1 speed. But you also have to consider that there are 4 hand slots:
- Right Weapon
- Right Shield
- Left Weapon
- Left Shield

That brings you up to 7 item slots... Meaning +7 speed without any item equipped, and there's no real way to prevent this. If you want to try balancing things with +7 speed across the board, have fun, be my guest.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

Lockeadon

alma tool can grant negative values for some things, if i'm understanding it correctly, it covers what you want to do... i think

theultrawolf

So I'm correct in guessing you couldn't edit stats to where armor or something like that gives you negative HP, right? ._.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Xifanie

Don't be sad, you can! You just need to ASM it yourself. But as a base, a byte range is -128 to +127, which is good for PA/MA/SP, but not so much for HP/MP.

Lockeadon

i'm pretty sure alma allows negative and positive percentage bonuses in addition to discrete values for certain things. i remember seeing multiple posts specifically including those -hp in the alma topic. (alma 4 grants yadda yadda, or whatever it's called)