Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: Today at 02:23:56 AM 
Started by Xifanie - Last post by Nyzer
So it boils down to if you want to create a story mod or a combat rebalance mod.

Well, no. Don't forget that one of Xifanie's points was "Can write a new story (Missing tools for WotL)".

Event editing, like the Patcher/Tactext/Shishi work, is actually fairly comparable between the two versions. However, you're still generally more limited when working with the PSP version instead of the PSX one. I'd say that you're less limited when it comes to story mods vs combat rebalance mods in WotL, but you're still limited for it.

As for how useful "enemy variance" is... well... the ability to use multiple palettes of the same sprite and to apply custom secondaries & RSM greatly makes up for that issue. Fighting a bunch of Dragoons might be boring, but you can color-code those Dragoons and set up their skillsets so that the red one is the melee attacker, the blue one is the tankier type, the yellow one is the healer, the green one the mage, the black one the bard. You can even make them recurring enemies, and despite being palette-swapped generics, the player will still easily recognize them, individually, the moment the event loads.

Let's not even get into the casual dismissal of "ASM Hacks" as simple "combat rebalancing", when they offer so much more.

WotL is adequate for smaller projects or if you're absolutely dead-set on the max character limit of 24 (which, personally, I think is absurd considering the fact that WotL is nowhere near a big enough game for the player to get good use out of all those characters). Even if your focus is purely on a story mod within the WotL limits, I'd still rather see things like being able to put elements on all skills, keeping Guests playable in random battles (can you imagine how much potential this would have for a Ch. 1 story mod?), the expanded  Soldier Office, and so on.

However, these advantages are not comparable to what the PSX version has to offer, especially when the PSX has simple workarounds for half of them.

And I'm saying this as someone who has only modded WotL for his personal projects. I've never played the PSX version of FFT. But I am keenly aware of what limits the PSP version has compared to its predecessor on FFH, and the few, minor advantages are not worth it.

If your project is so big as to take advantage of the expanded 16 sprite/24 formation limits, it's big enough to feel the loss of what could have been done on the PSX version instead.

on: Today at 01:27:22 AM 
Started by Xifanie - Last post by Ildon
Approx. 1/3 of the list is simply "ASM hacks"... 

The real upsides of the WotL version are as follows:
- supports at least 16 unique sprites in an event/battle rather than 9
- roster cap of 24 units rather than 16/20 when expanded

So it boils down to if you want to create a story mod or a combat rebalance mod.  Also, even if you want to do a combat rebalance mod you have to pick and choose between variance in enemy units and capacity for injection of new mechanics. 

on: October 19, 2017, 01:59:13 AM 
Started by nitwit - Last post by Raijinili
\begin{necropost}

I just discovered how powerful the debugger's evaluator is, and added what I found to the wiki. It should help anyone looking to use the conditional breakpoint feature, as well as anyone who uses the debugger at all.
http://ffhacktics.com/wiki/Psxfin#Value_syntax
Feel free to add more examples as you build them.

I found the function names by using a hex editor and finding the section where the names are stored, using the known name `read_long`. As far as I can tell, the syntax has never been documented this thoroughly, since the full list of function names doesn't show up on Google in the context of pSX.

\end{necropost}

on: October 18, 2017, 11:37:25 PM 
Started by Turbomester232 - Last post by Lionheart537
From my knowledge unless you have a bad game file there shouldn't be a difference unless you edited the sprite in shishi or changed which character id uses which sprite (done outside of shishi). Look at it again and if you're still having issues send in screenshots of what you've actually done. Hopefully you have a back up of the game and any sprites you changed so you can use those for any revisions and fixes. Either way this doesn't seem like a difficult problem.

on: October 18, 2017, 09:52:06 PM 
Started by Eternal - Last post by Barren
Final Fantasy Tactics K.O 2.6 - Part 35

on: October 18, 2017, 05:31:55 PM 
Started by White Knight Wiegraf - Last post by White Knight Wiegraf
Loser's Bracket Round 1

Match 5

Match 6

on: October 18, 2017, 12:49:57 PM 
Started by Zeke_Aileron - Last post by Stormlag
Ah ok, i'm pretty sure the current version i'm working on has it where Black Mages can't get anything Tactician related which i hopefully think it's fixed, the Tactician job is supposed to be exclusive for Luso depending if you patched the game in the middle of a playthrough instead of starting a new game.

Also i don't think i've ever used Grapple on the big bosses before, i think it's funny and sadly there isn't a way to fix it without changing Grapple to something else completely.

Oh I'm really excited on the new patch. I only saw this mod recently to be honest. Played about 100 hours (still going).

The Grapple bug also works in the Boss monster in a mission " To teach a man to fish". I suggest that you replace it(though its a situational bug) with a Reraise or heal type skill and give more AP requirements for some Tactician job skills. (only a suggestion)

I really like going balance with magick and power for Luso.

Thank you so much for this mod.

on: October 17, 2017, 10:27:28 PM 
Started by Turbomester232 - Last post by Turbomester232
On the actual battle map wen fighting them.

on: October 17, 2017, 07:58:02 PM 
Started by Zeke_Aileron - Last post by Zeke_Aileron
Ah ok, i'm pretty sure the current version i'm working on has it where Black Mages can't get anything Tactician related which i hopefully think it's fixed, the Tactician job is supposed to be exclusive for Luso depending if you patched the game in the middle of a playthrough instead of starting a new game.

Also i don't think i've ever used Grapple on the big bosses before, i think it's funny and sadly there isn't a way to fix it without changing Grapple to something else completely.

on: October 17, 2017, 06:22:38 PM 
Started by PX_Timefordeath - Last post by Reks
Just so folks know, I basically retired

I got excessively tired of keeping up with all the rapid changes and having to keep my teams up to date, so while at first I thought it'd just be an extended leave, I've grown more and more of the mind to just let it be.

Stay good, my friends, and Arena on, or something.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10