• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:12:53 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

would it be a good idea to....

Started by karsten, April 08, 2008, 11:31:51 am

karsten

April 08, 2008, 11:31:51 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
make pre-releases?

that way people can start playing and give feedback and show bugs in the game. even if it is just an ALPHA version with just the new classe/sprites with karsten, vincent, zodiac in, and item fix i think many people would start playing with it, right?

LastingDawn

April 08, 2008, 11:38:19 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well, I agree that a proto release would help a lot of bugs, and I am sure that at least five to ten people will of course try it out and show if ideas just plain look better on paper, or ideas that really do shine.

For instance... though we are trying to give most items an effect there simply might not be enough Item Attribute slots, that problem needs addressed, or fixed if possible.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Asmo X

April 08, 2008, 11:46:24 am #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
Good idea. All new equipment and skills might have to come out at once though to show how well they combine.

Lydyn

April 08, 2008, 02:46:30 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Lydyn
Beta patches are always a good idea, if just test for bugs or suggestions ... especially if you got 10-15 people doing it at a time, a lot of things can be address pretty quickly.

VincentCraven

April 09, 2008, 08:18:24 am #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Alpha is good. Right now we should focus on one aspect and then release it. I'll put stuff on the 'Stone Carved decisions' topic that may be a little controversial, and then once we release the alpha, we can go back and discuss what has been added.

For now, let's focus on the generic classes and the equips. The alpha may also require a spot of work on the event battles so that the game isn't so easy. I'll just give monsters a rough boost in power and then we can go back and fix stuff.

Releasing a good beta, however, still takes time. I'll refer to alpha as a "we haven't finished everything we intended" version and a beta as a "here's all our ideas, what do you think of them?" version.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

karsten

April 09, 2008, 11:13:16 am #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Quote from: "VincentCraven"Alpha is good. Right now we should focus on one aspect and then release it. I'll put stuff on the 'Stone Carved decisions' topic that may be a little controversial, and then once we release the alpha, we can go back and discuss what has been added.

For now, let's focus on the generic classes and the equips. The alpha may also require a spot of work on the event battles so that the game isn't so easy. I'll just give monsters a rough boost in power and then we can go back and fix stuff.

Releasing a good beta, however, still takes time. I'll refer to alpha as a "we haven't finished everything we intended" version and a beta as a "here's all our ideas, what do you think of them?" version.

perfect. have you been thinking about our skillsets and what sprites to be chosen?

VincentCraven

April 09, 2008, 07:17:47 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
A bit, however we'll need to make complete sprites and skill animations. I have the other details for my class.

I'll start putting the stuff together and then see what needs to be added before we can release this thing. Let me know what you want to be done in this alpha release karsten.

For the alpha version I plan to:

Change class attributes as stated (http://auritech.fantopolis.com/viewtopic.php?t=201&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20)
 and change the skillsets of Red/Blue Mage. I know you were wondering about Squire equipping gun, but let's just test it out here.

Make the initial battle of Zodiac, Karsten, and I.

Should I also:
Add any revised equipment (if so, shall I wait until all equips are decided on?)
Decrease JP cost for generic skills
Switch any S/R/M skills around in the generic classes
Change any skill formulas (Ex: Use BlackMageShin's new DO or lower speed of summons, etc.)
Change any AI flags (like philsov did way back when to correct inherent flaws. With that, the Holy Sword flaw)
Alter any event battles (other than initial)
Boost monsters HP/PA
Cut monster MA in half while doubling skill power (to help out Blue Mage)
Alter any monster skills

karsten

April 10, 2008, 04:08:00 am #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
Quote from: "VincentCraven"A bit, however we'll need to make complete sprites and skill animations. I have the other details for my class.

I'll start putting the stuff together and then see what needs to be added before we can release this thing. Let me know what you want to be done in this alpha release karsten.

For the alpha version I plan to:

Change class attributes as stated (http://auritech.fantopolis.com/viewtopic.php?t=201&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=20)
 and change the skillsets of Red/Blue Mage. I know you were wondering about Squire equipping gun, but let's just test it out here.

Make the initial battle of Zodiac, Karsten, and I.

Should I also:
Add any revised equipment (if so, shall I wait until all equips are decided on?)
Decrease JP cost for generic skills
Switch any S/R/M skills around in the generic classes
Change any skill formulas (Ex: Use BlackMageShin's new DO or lower speed of summons, etc.)
Change any AI flags (like philsov did way back when to correct inherent flaws. With that, the Holy Sword flaw)
Alter any event battles (other than initial)
Boost monsters HP/PA
Cut monster MA in half while doubling skill power (to help out Blue Mage)
Alter any monster skills

so far the only "final" item changes are concerning mantles and shields, right? let's include them only.

surely changing holy sword adding high mp costs as discussed.

that idea on blue mage, i like it.

as for other things i would wait a little... after all it's just alpha1, right? ;) nothing forbid us to make an alpha2 in a few weeks

Asmo X

April 10, 2008, 06:23:47 am #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Asmo X
I'd like to at least send swords out as well to see how they go with shields.

VincentCraven

April 10, 2008, 08:22:09 am #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Okay so then:

Class attributes, and I'd also like to change the generic's S/R/M to go along with this.

If we are including mantles, we'd better include the other accessories b/c they compete for the same slot. Those are already decided on.

Shields yes, swords it depends. On one hand, swords complement shields but on the other hand swords compete for the weapon slot.

Holy Sword Mp cost: Where is the list? I forgot where we discussed it. With that, I'll remove Holy from Holy sword cuz it just screws AI.

Cut Monster MA in half and double monster skill power.

All Brave change skills removed.

Enemies in 1st are Zodiac, Karsten, Vincent.

Austin

April 10, 2008, 01:10:36 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
Stasis Sword- costs 20 mp
split punch- costs 15mp inflict don't move, y=2(from 3)
crush punch- inflict death sentence 25mp, y=3 (from 2, crush punch is supposed to be stronger and I thought add dead was too good)
lightning stab-30mp
holy explosion-40mp

night sword-10mp, and make sure Gaf gets dark sword for free too

shellbust stab-20mp
blastar punch-20mp
hellcry punch-30mp
icewolf bite-30mp

And for Orlandu's skill set:
stasis sword
split punch
shellbust stab
blastar punch
the 4 ruin skills- all 20mp, change magic ruin so it totally depletes the enemies' mp instead of just 1/2

And if you go with the mp idea for swordskills be sure to increase the mp of bosses like Wiegraf and Meliadoul.
  • Modding version: PSX

VincentCraven

April 10, 2008, 07:45:23 pm #11 Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:10:08 pm by VincentCraven
So far I have changed:

Job Levels
Generic Job Stats/Innates
Blue Magic, Red Magic Skillsets
Shields
Accessories
Holy Sword MP Cost (and changed All Swordskill to above)
MonsterMA/2, MA-based Monster Skills Y*2 (did not change Hydras due to MA*MA formula in skills)
Brave Skills Removed (Scream is still there, but no longer boosts Br)

I still have to:
Make VKZ sprite, job, skillset, event battle... (tomorrow hopefully)

Change Text?
Did melonhead ever get his text editor working properly?

Austin

April 10, 2008, 07:57:40 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Austin
Not yet, it'd probably be best to hold off on text editing for now.
  • Modding version: PSX

karsten

April 11, 2008, 02:10:56 am #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by karsten
i think that the part concerning names can be changed already but not the description and statuses...