• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:08:21 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Hacking Problems

Started by VincentCraven, January 16, 2008, 10:23:46 pm

VincentCraven

January 16, 2008, 10:23:46 pm Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 12:03:12 pm by VincentCraven
Boco won't join as a guest even though I checked Save Formation. Checking Join After Event makes him join as a regular unit, yet not checking it makes him not join at all. What am I doing wrong?

I changed Boco's Skillset to an empty skillset, gave that set some abiliites, and now Boco  can 'class change' and 'learn abilities' like a regular human.
By 'class change' I mean he can change into a Chemist with a malfunctioning sprite and not go back or gain any jp as a Chemist.
By 'learn abilities' I mean open the abilities menu since he has no jp, nor can he gain any jp. What's setting him apart from the Byblos?

Also, in the Battle on the Bridge fight, Agrias's sprite malfunctions and her portrait is a miscolored gafgarion. Maybe this is linked with my faulty Boco who I added to the battle, but I had this problem before when adding characters to the battle formation.
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Kourama

January 17, 2008, 02:27:36 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
The problem with his abilities is that you need to change his action menu (for his specific skill set A6 or whichever you chose) to monster so that it can work properly. I'm pretty sure its set to default on your patch.

As for the faulty Agrias. I had the same problem before when changing around battles in the PSX version of the game. The character works like its supposed to but just looks glitched (attack animations work fine though). I couldn't figure out a fix for this but Karlsten suggested that maybe I erased a random byte. Never figured out the problem though.

Kheldarn

January 17, 2008, 04:42:09 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kheldarn
Yesterday, I was modifying the Orbonne Monastery battle at the beginning of the game, and I replaced Lavian with Teta. Rad's sprite ended up being majorly glitched, showing blocks of color, and he had a generic female knight portrait.

I was thinking it was because Teta's never supposed to be a battle character. Her sprite has no attack animations, so that may have been causing the glitch, for me, anyway...

VincentCraven

January 17, 2008, 05:54:54 pm #3 Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 06:39:35 pm by VincentCraven
I've had 'the Rad problem' too.

This event seemed to happen every time I moved a character's starting location on the map. The respective unit still appeared in the normal position.

Xifanie

January 17, 2008, 06:23:45 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
For Boco: I'm currently checking that out. My guess is that something needs to be the same as the Job value in order to make the unit join as a guest. And you have to check Join After Event & Save Formation (yep, I was wrong).

My full Boco to Alma conversion worked to join as a Guest.

I'll compare Byblos & Boco to find what's wrong after eating.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

VincentCraven

January 17, 2008, 06:39:58 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Does Byblos's skillset work like a monster's or a human's? Boco acts like a human with Byblos's skillset or his skillset and it acts like a monster with the Chocobo skillset. Any ideas why? Changing the skillset to 'Monster' on the action menu unfortunately did not fix this event.

Xifanie

January 17, 2008, 09:07:21 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
If you check Byblos he's just like the regular human but set as monster & with its own sprite.

Sorry to tell you that, but the game wasn't code to allow monsters or generics to join as guests.

The Unit ID # byte (2nd row, 2nd column of unknown bytes) has to be EQUAL to the Sprite Set Byte AND lower than 0x80... No idea why and it's just totally fucking gay. If you don't remember Monster is 0x82 (0x80 & 0x81 being respectively generic male/female). There is no other way right now to access the chocobo sprite.

Awfully cheap.

Square, that's so uncool.

I suppose the other alternative left is just to make Boco join after Araguay & recreate a new Boco that will join at Zirekiles... sucks though.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)

VincentCraven

January 17, 2008, 10:09:46 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
>.<

That's an unpleasant thorn in my plans. I could just have a message explaining why Boco isn't in your party yet, and have him join after Zirekile, but that would be lame. Ah well...

VincentCraven

January 19, 2008, 12:05:18 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
I'm trying to make the enemy units move, but I don't know where the enemy  IDs start. How do I figure out what their unit ID is?
And also I see there are three unknown bytes and X,Y. Can the enemies only move in one X direction and one Y direction?

Xifanie

January 19, 2008, 12:51:07 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
For the Unit ID # Check the ENDT unknown part, 2nd row, 2nd column.

Usually it's equal to the job/sprite if its a special unit and 0x80 and + if a monster/generic.

X, Y is the location on the map. There may be a byte that tells which panel it is if there are 2 panels at the same X & Y coordinates (like for a bridge).

Kourama

January 19, 2008, 07:12:45 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kourama
Also if you want to have several monsters come out randomly in the same spot (kind of like the pig/malboro/ahriman in that swamp fight with Mustadio) make sure all of enemies you put there have the same 0x8? and the same X/Y values.

VincentCraven

January 21, 2008, 09:17:24 am #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Quote from: "Zodiac"If you check Byblos he's just like the regular human but set as monster & with its own sprite.

Wait, so does that mean I'll have to give Boco only 3 skills if I want it to work like a monster?

And also, which byte allows me to move a unit and have that unit mount a chocobo? Byte 28 allows the units to move, but they won't move if a chocobo is in that location. Byte 5F makes the unit appear in that location, but the unit is merely superimposed on whatever unit is on that square.

Xifanie

January 21, 2008, 04:36:22 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Quote from: "VincentCraven"Wait, so does that mean I'll have to give Boco only 3 skills if I want it to work like a monster?

I never said it had a monster skillset. =O
A normal type skillset assigned the unit should be working perfectly.
I can test it myself though, but I don't perfectly understand what's going on with you.

Quote from: "VincentCraven"but they won't move if a chocobo is in that location.

How come I got ramza on Boco then. >_>
You probably just used the wrong coordinates.

VincentCraven

January 21, 2008, 09:47:47 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Maybe I forgot to check 'monster' somewhere? I'll check again.

I most certainly used the right coordinates, but I must have went awry elsewhere. I just had to make sure that 0x28 is the instruction you used to mount  the chocobo.

VincentCraven

January 22, 2008, 12:08:36 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Do you know how to decrease the number of units allowed to deploy? No glitching occurs unless I deploy all four units, so I think there are one too many units on the battlefield.

Xifanie

January 22, 2008, 06:01:40 am #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
No.

BlackMageShin

January 23, 2008, 05:16:19 pm #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by BlackMageShin
Is it possible to make human enemies start the battle mounted on chocobos?

VincentCraven

January 23, 2008, 05:57:05 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
Yes.

VincentCraven

February 02, 2008, 07:41:17 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by VincentCraven
I don't know if we've found anything else about animations since I requested Blitz Sword, but I would like to point out that changing the animation from the explosion to 'Split Punch' causes the damage numbers to appear, but the attacker still initiates the attack with a 'generate magic' animation. Therefore, I conclude the following:

-damage display is linked to animation

-character's animation with a particular attack is linked to the skill slot attributes
(no, checking 'weapon strike' doesn't change the 'generate magic' behavior)

Also, I'm afraid I won't be able to make Boco have 5 skills until we find how to change the class slot attributes (like Mime slot cannot equip anything). The box 'monster' does not control many of the attributes linked to monster, like no class change, no setting skills, etc.

And I just realized: since Boco is on a non-chocobo slot, he's not really a Chocobo, and doesn't behave quite right when mounted.
When mounted on Boco, Ramza goes, but cannot move. Boco goes, but cannot move.
I haven't tried to mount Boco the old fashion way yet (not using instructions), but I assume he cannot be mounted.

Zozma

March 03, 2008, 07:42:47 pm #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
i made boco a blue chocobo that does not join  in the woods but appears one last time at the falls doesnt join there either both appearances he has hidden status because his special skill set makes him look so bugged.
but he has non charge, chocoattack/cure4/esuna/wall/haste/slow/blizzard.  and hamedo instead of counter.

got a question about ??? status tho, by what % does it multiply the hp and mp? i want to make his hp growth equal to that of a normal chocobo but while in ??? status..
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!