• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 05:05:33 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFT Arena Single Class Challenge AI Tournament

Started by Barren, December 20, 2012, 10:33:32 pm

Reks

Quote from: Barren on February 02, 2013, 07:36:39 pm
You're welcome to use any of my teams available. they should be ready for action now

Same.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Reks#0128

Dokurider

FFT Arena - Dokurider vs Truelight

FFT Arena - Dokurider vs Dol

Quote--why are you not using KOF music?!

I have horrible and shallow tastes in music. I'm just not going to bother. Just play whatever you want over them.

The Damned

(Horrible and shallow tastes? Unless you listen to only like Nikki Minaj [?] or something, I highly doubt that.)

It was a (bad) joke besides. One that reminds that I should probably start using up the KOF music I have before I start jokingly nagging anyone else about it. Hmm...this means I'll have to download "Trashhead" before I forget....

Anyway, thanks for the videos regardless. How many more of these "Dream Matches" are you planning to do anyway?
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Dokurider

February 02, 2013, 09:56:26 pm #203 Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 10:03:05 pm by Dokurider

I said it before, and I said it during and I said it afterwards, Spellguns were going to be dominant, if only because of the nature of the teams in this tournament. So built my team with this prediction in mind, and I am marveled at how well they've done and how versatile they've been in the face of not just spell gunners, but against every time they've been pitted against. Aside from being able to fight Spellgunners, one of my goals was to prove the combat prowess thieves have, and in particular, the strength that Knives now have thanks to being Two Handable. See it's not just the WP, or the +1 PA Katar has that makes it potent, it's the +1 Move. That +1 Move allows my thieves to run around the map and backstab units with devastating power. It may not hit the hardest, but it's a hit you cannot out run. I hope I've convinced more people to utilize Double Hand Knives in the future.

Right from the start, I wanted Cursed Rings for my Thieves for many reasons. I knew Thieves were going to have trouble reviving themselves through conventional means. While they are decent Item Bots, the property of knives meant that the team would naturally drift apart into many fronts, causing great difficulties in revival. Raise/Raise2/Fairy were just out of the question because thieves are poor users of conventional magic.

Cursed Ring was a gift from hell. It allowed me to freely invest in speed and movement without worrying about their respective drawbacks. In particular, Quickening and Cursed Ring have a disgusting synchronization because it eliminates the drawback of having high speed, in having a just as quick death counter. It didn't matter how high these thieves' move was either because they self revived. Without Cursed Ring, this team would be bogged down in revival.

Frankly, I was surprised at how little it showed up in the tourney, because many teams could have used Cursed Ring instead of trying to mold one of their units into poor man's priests and making them unnecessarily and unnaturally weak to magic.

Punch Art was essential for these Cursed Thieves. It was their only form of healing they can plausibly have and they needed to be self sufficient. Chakra doesn't heal much, but it heals enough to pull the respective units out of critical, and canceling critical is sometimes all you can really ask for. It also comes with the handy Secret Fist.

Secret Fist and Death Sentence is one of the most important skills on my team because it is the true anti bulk. It allows this team to defeat bulky and evasive units like Paladins with ease. It also functions as deaggro status: it allows the team to focus on the remaining units, thus increasing the pressure on them. When used timely, it activates just when the Cursed Thieves are getting up, allowing them to attack a now weakening team from behind. Most other teams disvalue Death Sentence because it's unnecessary and they can kill units much faster that Death Sentence and the ignoring trait of DS is undesirable. It's like basically the Seismic Toss of FFT, use it when you don't have any better form of offense.

My biggest miscalculation in reading this tourney's metagame was a one of simple math. I assumed that everyone would be using Blaze Gun because I erroneously believed Blaze Gun had the highest damage output of the guns. But as it turns out, it's actually 2nd to the Glacier Gun, simply because of how low the Y value of Fire 2 is. While the difference in damage is actually pretty negligible, it made both weapons equally as viable. In fact, most of the gunner teams shied away from Blaze Gun because Fire is often absorbed. Had I actually made the calculations beforehand, I possibly would have made one of my units absorb Ice instead.

It also would have made me think twice about HP Restore. I was counting on Blaze Gun to trigger HP Restore, thus negating it. Otherwise, I might have just gone with Projectile Guard. It's still a difficult call to make because of the potential HP Restore has.

My other regret was not giving Avarice, my Item Thief, a better weapon. While I identified this problem early on, I decided that Double Regeneration was too valuable to lose. But that was then, when I was overvaluing said Double Regeneration. Now I would give him either Blood Sword, Sleep Sword or Throwing Knife.

I wanted to use Bad Luck on my Talking and Item Thief (and possible my Punching Thief) but I couldn't because I disliked the overly long charge time getting me in big trouble. If it had a 2 or 3 CT, then it would have been viable for my team.

I couldn't use a Quickening strategy because it requires said unit to freely specialize in Quickening spamming than I could possibly give. Frankly, monks are a much better user of Quickening than Thieves anyways.

Dokurider

Quote from: Dokurider on January 28, 2013, 08:52:39 pm
So here's what I have potentially slated so far. I'll get to work on recording once I fully recover from my cold:

Avalanche vs AeroGP/Dokurider/Otabo (are you the best? we'll see/Geo vs Geo)
Dokurider vs Malroth/FDC/Truelight/Dol (just so I can say I took on all the gunners/i like fighting fdc/ninjas=weakness?/good fight potential)

Jumza vs Reks (sure why not?)
Eternal vs Malroth/AeroGP (the other side of the gunner battles)
Jupi vs Truelight (ninja vs kunoichi)
Dol vs DomieV (:p)

and yes, I am very high off of cough syrup right now.

If anyone still wants their SCC team to fight, speak.

Malroth

I like to think that i SUCESSFULLY molded one of my archers into a fairly workable white magic rez bot without any unnatural weakness to 80% of spells

TrueLight

Thanks for the videos, Dokurider.

Those undead Thieves are quite the nuisance and it didn't help that and my Ninjas didn't dodge those kill shots. Repeating Fist was a good counter to Abandon. GG
  • Modding version: PSX

Jumza

I didnt know you could sing with silence 0.o.
Double stop proc. Not cool man. It is kinda funny watching angel song being spammed a little bit after watching witch hunt get spammed.
Didn't get a chance to watch the other rounds, but I know who wins. GG Reks.
Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

Malroth

Arm aim's missed mimic davaron's did not miss

reinoe

My dreams can come true!

Dokurider

Oops, I forgot to add the other matches. Thanks for the catch, Reinoe.

EDIT: Wow, something got messed up big time, as the third match in it's entirety did not get recorded. I'll just have to re-record it. Just as well, I had some other things I wanted to record anyways.

TrueLight

Nice back and forward match. In the end, my Ninjas were able to dish out more damage and Erza actually started acting intelligent.