• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Lists (Abilities/Jobs/Items/Skillsets)

Started by Xifanie, October 13, 2007, 01:36:38 pm

Xifanie

October 14, 2007, 05:37:22 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
ミドガルズオルム

midogaru zuorumu

definitely not swarm

and I don't see how that can't be zolom either. :s

It's a mistranslation, but from SQUARE. Square just sucks when it comes to integrate a monster/god name or whatever in their games.

I got Through ALL jobs except for monsters. And I can say all those divine, arc, holy, dark knights are all very accurate including their commands except for Orlandu's job which is translated as Holy Saint. I'm not sure for Adramelk's job though, I'll have to look through it.

Translation is a hard job ;o
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

ST218

November 11, 2007, 08:05:05 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ST218
Hi, first poster here (though I've been around the GF board for a bit).

I think Ultimus Bow was meant to be Artemis Bow...it makes more sense when you consider that the ultimate bow in other FFs is the Artemis bow.

A lot of these really seem to depend on what you're shooting for: Merton is FFVI SNES, while FFVI GBA is Meltdown. Again, Quarter and Demi are FFVI SNES where it's Gravity and Gravira later on in FFX-then again, that same game also uses Demi, so you really can't win there.

Lifega, EW. Full-Life or Arise please.

Can't Lfe Drain and Spell Absorb just be Drain and Osmose?

Petrify works fine, but if you want to be more consistent with modern FFs, Break.

I have no idea what they're supposed to be, but Malak's Hell attacks that are * Back sound retarded.

High Ultima or something instead of All-Ultima? If you're feeling weird, Ultimate Ultima?

Turbo Ether or Dry Ether instead of Hi-Ether?

Already mentioned, but one of the Teleports should be Warp and the other one just Teleport. Teleportga sounds stupid.

Nothing wrong with Oracle as a name, really. It loses some of the coolness if you change it to Yin-Yang Mage.

Summon Mage? Seriously. Yuna and Rydia are summoners, not summon mages.

Calculator to Mathematician and Math Skill to Mathematics are change for the sake of change. The original names work perfectly fine.

Finally, for Orlandu, maybe Ultimate Swordskill or something.

Reiska

November 12, 2007, 02:47:13 am #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Reiska
re: the above -

Yeah, Ultimus was supposed to be Artemis.  (PSP version has it as Artemis, too.)  

Concur on Arise.  

I think Life Drain and Spell Absorb were named that way so as not to confuse them with Beowulf's swordskills.  Same for Petrify vs. Break (Beowulf has Break).  The PSP version is no help here, as they did some crazy wack things with Oracle's spell names - I'm not sure what the heck the theme is.

In the PSP version, Rafa's attacks are Heaven's Wrath (Heaven Thunder), Ashura (Asura), Adamantine Blade (Diamond Sword), Maelstrom (Hydragon Pit), Celestial Void (Space Storage), and Divinity (Sky Demon); Malak's are Hell's Wrath, Nether Ashura, Nether Blade, Nether Maelstrom, Corporeal Void and Impiety.  They played up the whole "heaven vs. hell" thing a bit more in their translations this time, I think.

No opinion on All-Ultima or chemist itemage or Teleport 2.  I forget what they did with it in the retranslation.  Agree on keeping "Oracle" and "Summoner".  "Math Skill" sounds kind of dumb, but it's functional.  And I have no opinion on Orlandu. :P

Xifanie

November 12, 2007, 06:43:51 am #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Xifanie
Wow, how are those more accurate than the PSX version?  :shock:
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Argg0

November 12, 2007, 10:22:22 pm #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Argg0
QuoteLifega, EW. Full-Life or Arise please.

I'lll "eww" to any -ga, -ja, -ra. They suck. Numbers please!

I liked the PSP version for Orlandu... "Sword Saint".

SephHexenWR

November 20, 2007, 03:04:24 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by SephHexenWR
Really, it all comes down to: do you want to update the game to current standards? Or do you just want to fix several fundamental things with the game while leaving the majority of it untouched?

If you're standardizing it with current titles, then you can't pick and choose-- you'll have to use the ra/ga/ja scheme of spells, and will have to use current names of spells (like Gravity instead of Demi, Blizzard instead of Ice).

If you're just fixing fundamental things so that the game is still nostalgic yet functional, just change Bracelet to Breath and call it a day.

This is important because if you ARE making things standard, you can't go half-assed. If you do, the game will begin to feel like it lacks a consistent theme and will overall feel jumbled and chaotic (which is probably something a grammatical fixing is attempting to change, anyhow).

My two cents.

Zozma

January 31, 2008, 05:36:17 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
"moldball" virus?
maybe Morbol virus? doesn't it turn the unit into a morbol?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

NeedsMoreNoise

March 21, 2008, 10:46:02 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by NeedsMoreNoise
I'm all for changing lots of the "Knight" job names.

Agrias could be: "Holy Guard", "Royal Guard", "Paladin", "Guardian"...
Delita could be: "White Knight",
Wiegraf could be: "Brigand"
Zalbag could remain as an "Arch Knight"
Dycedarg could be: "Grand Fencer"
Elmdor could be: "Silver Noble", "Silver Ogre"
Meliadoul (along with her father and his friend) could be: "Eldritch Knight"
Beowulf could be: "Templar"

Zozma

March 25, 2008, 02:18:12 am #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
there are too many arc knights in the game thats for sure.

i was trying to google another name for "samurai leader" and found a name "Daimyo" which supposedly means feudal lord.. does this sound too weird for Elmdor?

also id agree with above poster that the true arch knight would be Zalbag...

delita could be Lord or maybe one of the holy knights could be "paladin" but i think agrias' title of Holy Knight should remain...
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

LastingDawn

March 25, 2008, 03:14:14 am #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
If I recall in the PSP Version, Elmdor's class is called Daimyo, though he is still called "Marquis Elmdor" of course I might be wrong.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Nevarie

June 19, 2008, 02:29:41 am #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Nevarie
Quote from: "karsten"
Quote from: "Christopher Robin"Actually, it would be Midgard Serpent or World Serpent, since it's based on Jörmungandr.

as i stated twice :/ anyway for being faithful to the original should be midgard's worm

It was probably meant to be "Midgard Wyrm" but they couldent replicate the sound of it perfectly in japanese so it musta gone something like this i figure.

Translater: "Hey, how do you say this?"
JapaneseRep: "midgarswyrm"
Translater: "Uh... Midgar Zolm??"
Translater: "Midgar Zolom, ok got it!"
JapaneseRep: "no, no. MidgarsWyrm!"
Translater: "Midgar Swarm?"
JapaneseRep: ...... Ok!

:lol:

Vanya

June 19, 2008, 07:39:34 am #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Vanya
Quote from: "Nevarie"
Quote from: "karsten"
Quote from: "Christopher Robin"Actually, it would be Midgard Serpent or World Serpent, since it's based on Jörmungandr.

as i stated twice :/ anyway for being faithful to the original should be midgard's worm

It was probably meant to be "Midgard Wyrm" but they couldent replicate the sound of it perfectly in japanese so it musta gone something like this i figure.

Translater: "Hey, how do you say this?"
Translater: "Uh... Midgar Zolm??"
Translater: "Midgar Zolom, ok got it!"
JapaneseRep: "no, no. MidgarsWyrm!"
Translater: "Midgar Swarm?"
JapaneseRep: ...... Ok!

:lol:

Funny, but my research indicates that in it's original language Jormunandr was alternatively known as midgardsormr which does indeed translate into 'World Serpent'. Midgard = World (of man), sormr = serpent.
¯\(°_0)/¯