• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:26:03 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Replace animated game sprites with 3d models?

Started by Bladegrasp1997, January 09, 2015, 11:52:55 am

3lric

• Modding version: PSX

Bladegrasp1997

August 15, 2015, 08:02:34 pm #41 Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 08:31:38 pm by Bladegrasp1997
Thanks guys, I appreciate you going out of your way to help me.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Bladegrasp1997

I may not have to create new levels after all. I was planning on making new HD levels but it is very possible to port all the original levels to another engine. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I don't think I would have even tried this if not for the suggestions. :o

Angel

Glad you got it exported! Keep that motivation up.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Bladegrasp1997

Thanks. If a new level is created using existing pieces from other levels, would the game be able to handle loading textures from two or more different uv maps? I'd like to see if I can make some new levels that you would be able to use. I probably should have asked if new levels can even be added first but I'm assuming that can be done.

Angel

Not sure what you mean by multiple UV maps, but much like characters and abilities, maps can only be replaced, not added. Maps are also subject to an object limit; too many polygons, and the map won't load at all. Ganesha also can be kinda finicky and break things in strange and unusual ways, but there have been a few from-scratch custom maps made.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Bladegrasp1997

Say I took a barrel from the tavern and added it to another level. Would the game be able to load the barrels original texture mapping or would it use the level texture that it was imported to? So it's possible to replace all maps with new ones as long they fall into the maps polygon limit?

3lric

Each map for FFT uses 1 UV map with multiple textures (mostly for color.) Depending on the maps state. Each map has its own texture. If you wanted a barrel you'd need it to be on the texture sheet for that map.

Bladegrasp1997

Ok, if I used an object from a different level it would have to be remapped with textures from the current level? What is the polygon limit for creating maps? Does each map have a set amout depending on the level it will be replacing? If a map is exported and converted from obj. to another format then edited using existing polygons and converted back to obj., can it be put back in the game?

3lric

I cant answer all of those. You need to play around with importing/exporting from Ganesha to figure it out.

There is more info on Gomtuu's site.

Type Ganesha map editor for FFT and it should come up in google.

Bladegrasp1997

Thanks, hopefully I can create something you can use in the future. 

3lric

Bladegrasp1997

3lric

Bladegrasp1997

I can add new panels and import edited PNG files for new UV textures. I cannot import maps created or edited from other 3d modeling programs. Are there any pictures of the new levels that have been made? I recently saw Tethical, would they know anything about importing 3d files into Ganesha? Better yet, would they be interested in making a level editor with all 3d objects and terrain from every level?

3lric

There haven't really been all that many custom maps. Kokojo has made a few, but I don't have pictures of them.

Here are some of the map edits I've done:

Tree Map: Twinees for Tree Stump lighting, Xifanie for making it work in game without overwriting the original map.
Office: Twinees for chair removal
Boats: Xifanie for making it work in game and a ton of tips and help, Lirmont for making a ganesha addon for copy/paste

Bladegrasp1997

August 18, 2015, 09:20:29 pm #56 Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 09:28:11 pm by Bladegrasp1997
The sea battle looks cool, how did you clone the ship in ganesha? I can add polygon's but cannot clone full objects without exporting it out to another program. Is Kokojo still active?

3lric

I did it one polygon at a time. It took over a month. This wasn't an easy process.

Kokojo is not really active, no

Bladegrasp1997

So you had to change the Tex. Page and Tex Palette number for each new polygon you added. How did you rotate the polygons for the sales and mast?

3lric

Look in the tutorial section I made a tutorial for using the add on to copy/paste.