• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:10:43 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Old-Sprites for Download

Started by McCracker1, May 17, 2008, 02:59:00 am

McCracker1

May 17, 2008, 02:59:00 am Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by McCracker1
here ya go cheetah

McCracker1

May 17, 2008, 03:47:11 am #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by McCracker1
this should fit perfectly

Cheetah

May 17, 2008, 01:35:45 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Okay so what I did wasn't much. I just solved the problem that had been plaguing Vanya's Spikey Warrior sprite, which then of course affected McCracker's Snake sprite that was based on it. Vanya kept talking about the sprite being too big, but that is kind of impossible. I have explained this a few times but I'm going to try and make it very clear this time.

There is only one that the sprite can be "too big" and not have CD Mage save the ISO. That one way is having too many colors. The other ways would be having the incorrect dimensions for your bmp or having the wrong file format, but ShiShiSpriteEditor pretty much prevents those mistakes.

So now you are say "but I limited my palette to 16 colors, just like it says on so many guides here. Look for your self it is exactly right". And you would be correct you did limit your palette and it looks exactly correct. But when I went to limit the colors of the Spikey Warrior it had 17 colors and Snake had 18. This is kind of tricky to explain, and basically you have to understand how the BMP format works. But, I don't really know how they work so this explanation will only be half kind of correct.

BMP's take a pixel X pixel area for the canvas, and then assign each of those pixels a color designation from the palette. This is why you are not limited in how "big" you can make your sprite, because the standard black pixels take just as much space up as the colored pixels (they are of equivalent size as far as the BMP format is concerned). The weird thing is that sometimes you can kind of get extra colors mixed into your BMP, and then even though they are assigned a color from the palette they are still viewed by the BMP as a separate color. So then when you look at your sprite it looks correct, but if you do a color count or you go to limit your colors you will see that there is a problem (I used photoshop to do this and I'm not sure if the other programs would catch it).

This is pretty much what happened. I actually haven't fold the culprit pixels because I'm not on the computer that I do graphics with, but the things I am posting work. Though I did just simplistically limit the colors, so it might have messed up something (but I doubt it). Also I did nothing with the portraits for either sprite, so that is why they are V.75 (have to have a portrait to be V1.0).

I will be happy to explain my half correct explanation better with input and questions.
Current Projects:

Cheetah

May 17, 2008, 02:19:12 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Here is Vanya's working corrected Spikey Warrior. Note that it looked like he had some cool looking palette options, and that those are no longer present and that he might want to add those back in.
Current Projects:

VincentCraven

May 18, 2008, 11:46:09 pm #4 Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 09:08:53 am by VincentCraven
Whelp, I guess this is where we consolidate all the new sprites, right? I bet you can't tell what MY base was  :roll:

Edit: fixed
I changed jobs and that has made all the difference.

Cheetah

June 15, 2008, 03:09:08 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
So here is the first step in my attempt at a new Warrior portrait. Basically I just made the second evil squire not so evil and tried to give him hair. I still want to make some adjustments to his armor so that he looks less like a Squire, that will be coming sometime soon. What does everyone think?
Current Projects:

Cheetah

June 15, 2008, 08:24:28 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Cheetah
Thanks, I will keep working on this.

Though I have another project in mind that you might be interested in. I found this pic of the warrior armor from FFXI and I got inspired: http://www.ffcompendium.com/h/jobs/knight.shtml (it is at the bottom). I have some ideas on how to make a cool portrait for him, I just can't really add another sprite project onto my current load though. I was wondering if you might be interested in a joint project though Vanya? Though ultimately the sprite might just end up looking too much like your current warrior and it wouldn't be woth it. Or maybe the best course of acttion would just be to change the head of your current sprite?
Current Projects: