• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Summoners... what to do with them?

Started by LastingDawn, November 18, 2008, 02:42:33 pm

LastingDawn

November 18, 2008, 02:42:33 pm Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Summoners have been a mainstay of FF for quite some time, and I feel like I would be doing a dishonor if I would just get rid of them, Voldemort came up with a thought of "Phantoms". That in turn would nearly make them into Illusionists, I will definitely need more thoughts on their new function, I plainly do Not want them to trump every other magic class, with their over the top skills.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

philsov

November 18, 2008, 03:43:58 pm #1 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
A simple start to prevent them from trumping other magic is to make their effect area lose the smart targetting.  It worked (too well) in FFTA imo.  Or, if they're something like the illusionist, that works too.  Though that conceptually is the same as Wiznaibus.

Plus, you can reduce the variability of the skillset.  Golem is too much of a mainstay to go, but things like carbunkle (maybe), fairy, silf, and lich can be effectively removed.  This basically leaves summon magic as a primary damage dealer with limited support through golem and moogle.  This reduces the only conflict to be with black magic.... but glancing at the wizard thread I think this'll be fine?
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

LastingDawn

November 18, 2008, 04:49:00 pm #2 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Rich is already given to Travelers, Odin is now Travelers, Fairy and Silf... probably a good idea to give that to another class, they are rarely used (well Fairy maybe), though what of the higher Summons? Such as Bahamut and Cyclops? Also Salamander is rarely ever seen, though keeping them in their previous role, yet tweaked a bit, does sound like a good idea.

Art of War

dwib

November 18, 2008, 05:00:51 pm #3 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by dwib
bahamut to dragoons perhaps?

anyways, illusionists sound ok, but kind of useless with only 2 people if they're going to deal relatively low damage like in FFTA. If the illusionists had status-inflicting abilities sort of like galaxy stop (except with a lower hit % maybe) they'd be useful...

LastingDawn

November 18, 2008, 05:09:10 pm #4 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Bahamut to Dragoons... that is a rather grand idea! It won't be too powerful since Dragoon's don't have that great of an MA, but it can be quite useful, regardless of that case!

Art of War

boomkick

November 18, 2008, 05:24:27 pm #5 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Hmm, lets make it a little interesting.

We will call them Demoners, who are those who learned the arts of transforming into different beings, such as Summons.

Moogle- Oink!- Pigs are lively! You never knew that?

Ifrit- Hell Beast- Your dare challenge Hell itself?

Shiva- Ice Queen- Feel the icey touch of death.

Ramuh- Lightning God- God casts judgment on you!

Titan- Stone Hulk- Mother Nature fights back eh?

Fairy- Angel- I bring life to those who are worthy!

Leviathan- God of the Sea- May the corrupted be obliterated by the flooding waters of the Sea!

Salamander- Burning Python- Burn, burn! All who oppose me BURN!

Lich- Reaper's Toll- I decide your fate! And it is DEATH!

Cyclops- Ancient Demon- I have destroyed empires and worlds, and you challenge me!?

Zodiac- Starlight Angel- This is God's wish, and that is the purify this world.

hahaha i know i didnt use Golem, Odin, Sylph or Karbunkle, but it doesn't matter that much eh?

DarthPaul

November 18, 2008, 05:26:55 pm #6 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Just a funny thought but change the zodiac summon to summoning the Zodiac sprite and have it do a lot more damage against dragons.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

LastingDawn

November 18, 2008, 06:05:38 pm #7 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Interesting thoughts, to be sure, but Rad and Ramza transforming into Demons? That seems a bit... a bit out there, also Lich is now Rich in the Traveler's set, which steals money. But the ideas associated are quite interesting. Though I wonder what one would have as skills? What would said skills now do?

Art of War

Archael

November 18, 2008, 06:11:02 pm #8 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
renaming them alone

will do nothing

boomkick

November 18, 2008, 07:30:45 pm #9 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Then what to do hmm....

Why not just keep them summoners, they already are powerful enough right?

LastingDawn

November 18, 2008, 07:41:50 pm #10 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
They are Too powerful, that's the problem, more or less just a change to their skills, not actually to their class, or even name.

Art of War

ShadowGamerDarkly

November 20, 2008, 07:21:38 pm #11 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ShadowGamerDarkly
Maybe reducing the damage output and range a bit so they aren't as tankish as they used to be?

Maybe making the CT Time Longer To cast the spells?

Maybe Giving Moogle and Fairy to Priest.

If anything I also agree that Golem, Carbunkle and Silf should be removed from the skill set.

Just Idea's. I really don't want to see the summoner be vanish unless it really has too.

LastingDawn

November 20, 2008, 08:06:12 pm #12 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
I apologize, but there was really nothing to save them, as of yet we're not sure what to do with the remaining summons, but their jobs have been commondeared by "Ranged Weapon User".

Art of War

philsov

November 20, 2008, 11:14:50 pm #13 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by philsov
QuoteI apologize, but there was really nothing to save them, as of yet we're not sure what to do with the remaining summons, but their jobs have been commondeared by "Ranged Weapon User".

My precious job tree D:  I'll fix it once things get more finalized (and I have a better grasp on what all these classes are!).

Though a distribution of summons to the various classes is a cool idea, too.
Just another rebel plotting rebellion.

ShadowGamerDarkly

November 21, 2008, 06:20:06 am #14 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by ShadowGamerDarkly
Quote from: "LastingDawn"I apologize, but there was really nothing to save them, as of yet we're not sure what to do with the remaining summons, but their jobs have been commondeared by "Ranged Weapon User".
It's ok. With all the new classes and change to the story line, I'm probably not going to miss the summoner class too much.

I still think we should give Moogle to the Priest or Maybe the Traveller.

And besides what has already been moved from the skilled set already or suggested, I can't think of any thing else to do with the skills other then let them be Vanished.

boomkick

November 21, 2008, 10:50:30 am #15 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Are you gonna just transfer all the skills from the summoner over to other classes and make the Summoner a new class or make the summoner more useful and integrated into Mercs?

Archael

November 21, 2008, 11:02:00 am #16 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
philsov you're going to be able to draw up a job tree fairly soon IMOIM MOMOMO

Sonata

November 21, 2008, 01:58:58 pm #17 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Sonata
Make him "Beast Master" One Tile powerful PA based attacks with no CT

boomkick

November 21, 2008, 05:44:22 pm #18 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
Hmm that would be interesting, but seems off for some reason.

LastingDawn

November 22, 2008, 02:29:01 am #19 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Alright, then if they won't be a Monster Essence user, then what? Blue Mage has the freedom of space, these only have a single panel to use, for their skills, in that regards the two can stay separate keep in mind, the game which we're drawing these two ideas happen to have both without one detracting from the other.

Art of War