• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:07:32 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Tethical, online FFT clone

Started by Kivutar, February 25, 2011, 04:38:42 am

Lijj

Oh, what I meant was SELF limited colors will save us..
For what I got so far I have a lot of shared colors and I'm trying to keep it minimal as I go...
  • Modding version: PSX

GeneralStrife

Ahem..I shall take a more accomodating tone....

Looks Freakin' epic Lijj! Sexy map.

Lijj

lirmont

As an example, my point is just that no where on earth will you find a desaturated shade of blue in grass. It's a perceptual thing resorted to because of lack of ability to use colors all the colors that shade interpolates. No matter how much I look at it, I can't think "someone else made that". Instead, I think "Secret of Mana 3" (whether that's the style or not). With more space (scaling up from, say, 16x16 to 64x64 or 128x128) you can appropriately fit in more colors and get away from what came before (because it's an out-dated approach that ignores 10 years worth of advancement). On that note, I wonder what Square-Enix's approach to creating a sequal on a current generation console would be? Would they capitalize on the opportunity to improve or feed us more of the same?

Kivutar

June 23, 2011, 03:24:31 am #165 Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 03:27:18 am by Kivutar
@lirmont, your thought on the colors are very interesting.
Like I said before, and Lijj expressed it better than me, no restrictions will be added for the engine, we are self limitating our palette for this demo game.
I am very curious to see what would be a t-rpg with todays technologies.

QuoteI can't think "someone else made that". Instead, I think "Secret of Mana 3"

Bad for others, but very good for Secret of Mana 3, they used these limitations to create something positive, their own style.

QuoteKivutar, what exactly do you need in terms of art? I'm not the best but I Can try and whip something up

Thanks a lot for your help proposal. I don't know exactly what we are doing. The appropriate term would be victorian steam punk, of victorian retro future, LOL.
In fact, it is a little bit early to grow the team, and Lijj is in charge of this side project that aims to replace copyrighted content. Please ask Lijj directly if he needs help, I let him decide how he likes to work.

Ok, now it is my turn :D
Yesterday I patched the engine, we now have an unlimited number of teams per battle:

[EDIT] I forgot to contratulate Lijj on this topic because he show me his work using the chan, but again, GG Lijj, this is an awesome result. And we are at the beginning. I can't imagine what you will be producing when you well get used to these technologies!
Tethical, an online FFT clone

Lijj

June 23, 2011, 06:36:34 am #166 Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 07:22:19 am by Lijj
Thank you Kivutar.
I must say it's an honor to work on this excellent project. I can only imagine it will be a popular game.
I will post more  tomorrow and  I should be starting the two buildings and finishing the other textures.
I don't know what I would have you do right now General Strife.. I've just got to get some sleep for now.

a little more (top textures aren't done and I realize part of it should change):
Update:

I thought maybe some glow effect would be kind of nice along with a little yellow highlight around them in the actual texture but that would be the last step.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

June 23, 2011, 02:10:59 pm #167 Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 02:29:00 pm by Pickle Girl Fanboy
Mark time is military speak for marching in place - how a character goes through a slower walking animation when standing still.

Take a look at Jeanne D'Arc sometime.  They use 3D character models (with skeletons and thingies and whatnot) and environments, like Vagrant Story.  It's a beautiful game, despite everything being so small on the screen.

SaGa Frontier 2 has great effect animations, especially for a PSOne game.  Life Water is what I'm thinking of, along with the LP->HP restore animation.

Lijj

June 25, 2011, 06:05:14 am #168 Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 06:29:13 am by Lijj
Latest update. I'm hoping to get some sort of ambient glow effect for the windows. And the yellow and black things are what I hope to be able to make incandescent lights with.

Oh yeah; I'd like to get some cast iron fencing in there too, just in one part on the end of the map.

MysticKnightFF5

June 25, 2011, 10:02:39 am #169 Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:08:25 am by MysticKnightFF5
Oh god yes!! Somebody make a map for a 32 way!

NOTE: I think if you're going to allow unlimited teams, you should have an int stored in each map so Tethical can draw from it and only allow that many participants, so no nasty glitches happen.
As for Observers, I highly recocomend including a ban feature if you're going to include observers. There's an unlimited amount of uses for a ban feature.
I believe such a feature should be given to the host of the room or every player in the match.  :ban: :ban: :ban: :ban:
EDIT: Also, beautiful map lijj.

RandMuadDib

I will show you the power of SARDIIIIINES!!!!

Kaffe

I'm happy to see the progress here. Yum-yum!

Cheetah

Lijj are these all custom textures from yourself? This is a very impressive looking map.

Awesome to have multiple players on a map.
Current Projects:

Lijj

I know... I can't wait for online 3 and 4somes!   
Yes I made them all custom. I referenced FFVI for the rocks but made my own original tile based on it (with out copy pasting) so no copyright infringement. ;) I also referenced some original Tactics textures but only for for orientation ideas etc.
Everything else I made completely from my imagination and used my own intuition for the palette which ended up being a little bigger than I planned(it's 45 color).
Thanks Cheetah also.. It is a lot of work but the more I make the easier it'll get with experience and a bigger custom texture library as I go; I've been saving all of them in a separate file.
Here's the palette:

TheChad

I've been lurking on this project for a while now but I just want to throw out some support for this - this looks incredible!

Kivutar - the fact you are actually making this thing blows my mind!  Keep up the good work!

Lirimont - some of your maps look amazing!

Lijj - the textures you're doing on this map are simply wonderful.

I think it's great that there are so many talented people working together to support this project - that's really where this community shines.

Kivutar

Thanks you all :mrgreen:

Lijj, your texture is very good.

I have not posted on the forum for a while because I am at the French Perl Workshop.

I made some experiments on point lights, but I am not satisfied with this yet.

Cheetah

It is certainly heading in the correct direction though Kivutar, looking good.
Current Projects:

Lijj

Yes! That looks almost exactly how I was hoping it could; can't wait to see what you come up with when you actually like the result combined with the textures. That black mage looks really cool illuminated.
I did pm you a couple things Kivutar, but enjoy the workshop for now.
We'll talk about a better way to share files soon.

Kivutar

Here is the result with the texture.

The result is nice, but not perfect yet. The backed shadows are now false, I must regenerate them with the new lights.

Also, I could start to implement map arrangements so we can have different lighting and textures for day and night.

I can show you how to update and launch tethical so you can alse experiment with background colors, and lighting.

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Is Tethical mature enough for me to advertise it at RHDN and the various Linux forums?  Or do you want me to wait until you have a finished project before any possiblity of forking?