• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:09:01 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

☢ ☢ ☢ FFT Arena AI Tournament Season 2 ☢ ☢ ☢

Started by CT5Holy, July 05, 2013, 03:03:08 am

iamBQB

For those of you who missed the stream and don't wanna wait, you can always catch the recording on twitch here http://www.twitch.tv/ffmaster/b/431058519. The matches start at around 31:45.

FFMaster

It's used very little because there isn't much that absorbs it. By running an Absorb: Water strategy, you are locked into certain equipment and skills. Using it as a secondary absorb is a good idea though.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

FFMaster

• Modding version: Other/Unknown
☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢ CAUTION CAUTION ☢

Malroth

Two fairly well built AOE spam teams,   James Onyx won this mostly because his units went second letting his units move out of his opponents AOE and then catching them in his own.  Holy sniping was as scary as it always is and makes me wish i could have run magic ring on my team and still have the team work right.

+2PA adds the same amount of damage to a bow user as +1PA +1 speed or +2 speed but speed gear tends to have the least HP of any item of its type  so PA stacking on a high base speed unit is the best way of boosting bow damage without unnecessary comprimising HP (actually the highest bow damage would be a ice bow user with attack up +2PA hat and clothes and 108 gems but that has quite a few weaknesses compared to most Ultimius/mythril bow setups)
Still there is no advantage to using a female bow archer compared to a male one if you aren't using a magic/steal/dance secondary.

Still that dancer is Scary and should be 1shotting anything in 3 or 4 turns if she stays alive that long,  Flee on a unit with no self healing is somewhat questionable  but the rest of Woodenbandman's team worked well.

yeah some concepts don't work as well as others

Close,  very very close   In the first two rounds my berserk weakness reared its ugly head with my most offensive unit being reduced to a laughable joke before even getting a move and the disposable goons on Dokuriders team repeatedly dying over and over but buying the Dancer time to slow dance.  One round i managed to eventually crack the defence, the second i did not,  Third round Rambo finally showed why i built the team the way i did.  AKA constant use of max damage Cover fire to blast through tanky units.   Also the Aegis shield got chosen because silence protection and +1 MA  still i'm glad there's no immortal berserking teams for a while in the runnings

The Damned

(Thanks for the videos both streamed and on Youtube already, FFMaster.)

Hmmm...I still haven't commented on all of the Winners brackets matches...partly because I haven't finished watching them yet still. I guess I'll just comment on these out of order then.

I'll make sure to try to finish the Winners bracket before I have to post up videos.

Speaking of which, PM incoming to all other hosts soon enough.

For now, I'll just comment on the four matches FFMaster just did:

Despite both of the teams having relatively litte in the way of the M-EV, Garland got the worse end of it for several reasons. His Ninja could never get close, his units kept grouping up by said Ninja and his own heaviest offense, as damaging as it was, was all single-target. Even though JamesOnyx's team only has three shots of Water, those shots all counted. It also helped that Quake is...well, Quake and a bit overpowered at present (as is Tornado), though the Scholar did that less often than she possibly should have. Not that it ultimately mattered.

(Also the reasons of going first like Malroth said.)

Admittedly, things might have gone far differently the first round had the Priest not have been OHKO'd by that lucky critical from Giant Axe.

But it's not like you can do anything against critical hits, so....

It also didn't help that Garland's team, looking at it now, has very little healing outside of the rather fragile Ninja and the Samurai distracted by Masamune. Given both those units ended up standing next to each other too.... Said Ninja could have really used Dragon Spirit or HP Restore or something as his reaction instead of PA Save, even if I see why he had it with Chakra. Still, he certainly could have done without Teleport and have gotten some offensive Punch Art like Repeating Fist, which largely obviates Teleport anyway in this instance.

The Priest is fine, I guess, though Holy Miter might have been better over even the currently overpowered Golden Hairpin due to 108 Gems. Then again, Golden Hairpin is probably fine due to Holy already doing ridiciulous amounts of damage and Holy Miter not giving any MP at all.

The other two units have more minor issues compared the Ninja, both of them related to armor for the most part. The Wizard didn't need Equip Armor at all, especially only for a helm(et) and the helm with worst HP to boot; Wizard HP is still crap even with armor and even if male. (I'm not going to say that Wizard can't be male just because I tend to do [silly] thematic teams more than most and, really, Death is one of the Black Magic spells least affected by that.) Yet Prismatic Rod is a nice touch since Death is technically Dark, even if (lazy-ass) Wizard Rod might have been better, at least if you used the leftover JP (from Equip Armor) for Magic Attack UP and Frog and/or Poison. (Or Regen or Cure spells or....)

As for the Samurai, I'd just argue that she needs Gold Armor instead of Platina Armor if she's going to rely so heavily on magic. I'm "surprised" Amara never tried to Silence Song her. Other than that, she really didn't want to have Masamune the ability between having Masamune the katana, having Chrono Trigger reaction and having no additional Haste-adding support on the team. Hell, she probably doesn't even want Masamune the katana since mages tend to want to go later unless they have really quick spells. Chirijiraden and even "just" Silf instead might have been better since Silf can't be dodged on top of randomly Disabling people. This even though half of JamesOnyx's team absorbs Wind.

Oh well. Still a relatively decent team all things considered.

So I am fighting The Justice Hobos ultimately. That should be...interesting between having no female units on my team yet probably having hideous luck against status and the fuck up with goddamn Bullrush.

Not much to say about this fight since we've already talked about the issues that TheJonin's team had. Here he just got really, *really* unlucky vs. woodenbandman's Dancer, who is woodenbandman's main damage dealer, on top of that. Seriously, an almost double damage critical off the bat? And I thought that Garland had it bad.

...No surprises here outside of yet another first round, OHKO critical. Seriously, three in a row? How weird is your luck, FFMaster?

Aside from that, all I'll say is that I'm glad that EmmaNigma at least got fight another team rather than get her (?) team's ass kicked again by woodenbandman as I thought would happen.

Well, that and these past three matches in a row made me realize just how many people are using Earth Slash despite the fact that it actually doesn't see that much use outside of tournaments oddly, at least given the overall amount of "causal" teams. Hmmm....

(As I said on Youtube, except for me to lodge an "official complaint" about there being no indication in the Master Guide whatsoever that Cover Fire ignores Protect & Defense UP (and presumably Unyielding), FFMaster. That's rather...important, especially since Cover Fire can still do crazy ass damage.)

For instance, Cover Fire is what basically won Malroth the first round once Rambo died and lost Berserk--I still don't understand why the other male Archer refused to Echo Grass him both rounds he got Berserked. Otherwise Malroth would have been screwed given that the Demi 2 Archer kept getting distracted by other nuisances on Dokurider's team and then Malroth would have lost the match as a whole since he was doomed on the Large map.

It really ultimately came down to initial positioning, with the Large map being the only one where the said "nuisances" could draw attention far enough away from the Iron Boots Slow Dancer. Even that took a while just because the Mediator was relatively unlucky and the annoying ass Balancer Paladin didn't use Balance like a quarter of the times she could have.

Man, I am glad that Phoenix Blade is dying for sure going into 1.39 now, especially since I didn't even have to push for it. It just makes the A.I. even dumber than it already is and arguably even dumber than Berserk or Death Sentence makes them, which is...saying something.

Outside of the Balancer unit, Dokurider's teams didn't really have any flaws, he just had the worse luck over all, including going up against the two of the few teams that could get past Fulcrum's stacked defenses. I guess Cursed Ring Paladin could have maybe gotten an Ancient Sword or something, but I imagine that Murasame katana was there for Immune: Berserk more than anything else. Still, I'm surprised she didn't get Southern Cross even as a "babysitter".

With him going out so much earlier than expected, I'm actually not the first host to be eliminated, which is really surprising. Dokurider's team being gone already now seems to mean that basically Wiz has already won, especially since Wiz beat Malroth, but we'll see I guess.
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Gaignun

Quote from: The Damned on July 16, 2013, 06:22:14 am(As I said on Youtube, except for me to lodge an "official complaint" about there being no indication in the Master Guide whatsoever that Cover Fire ignores Protect & Defense UP (and presumably Unyielding), FFMaster. That's rather...important, especially since Cover Fire can still do crazy ass damage.)

Technically it doesn't.  Defense UP and Protect reduce the PA in Dmg_(PA+25) :V

reinoe

From the FFTACTICS Channel on youtube re: Dokurider v Malroth...

Published on Jul 16, 2013
Losers Preliminary Round Match 3

Malroth (Green) vs EmmaNigma (Yellow)

Dokurider was against Malroth
My dreams can come true!

Avalanche

I am suprised Dokuraider is out of the tournament so early, i thought his dancing knight is nearly unkillable. But i think his other units didnt made enough impact so it was over when the dancing knight got countered by Death sentence, breaks and cover fire.

The Damned

(I was under the impression that we were waiting for the Loser's bracket to be done before started posting the second round of Winner's Brackets.)

Otherwise they'll be out of order, won't they? Even though technically already are since FFMaster had to record Dokurider's loser's match so that Dokurider didn't record his own.

Regardless, if you could record those, then I guess I'll bug you about the memory card thing with Dokurider still apparently busy.

*prepares to make himself even more of nuisance*

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Avalanche

Wow 3 very exciting Matches. Otobos Team was even stronger than i expected. It could have gone either way, just a tiny bit of luck turned the table here.

CT5Holy

Why would it be out of order? The losers in the winner's bracket get slotted further and further down the line in the loser's bracket. Contestants already in the loser's bracket fight their way forward to meet people just entering the loser's bracket.

Also, Damned, you can always use FFTastic to set teams up.
Winner of the 1st FFT 1.3 AI Tourney

The Damned

(FFTastic? I'll look into it then.)

It's only slightly out of order because the match between Eternal & JamesOnyx hasn't happened yet. Otherwise, yeah....

It was less the issue of being out of order and me being under the impression that were just doing all of Loser's brackets first. That's all.

Avalanche

what annoys my about my Team is that stupid Refute. Refuting innocence... ok, when i tested that team she never did that, but why the hell would she refute haste and regen, or was there any other reason to refute my ninja?

reinoe

Before I even look at the video's I will say that I don't mind any sort of order as long as it's not to the point where matches start getting held up.  Since there's three people doing loser's, and only two people doing winner's, I'm sure it'll keep pace anyway.
My dreams can come true!

Gaignun

Fortune sure wasn't smiling on Otabo in rounds 2 and 3.  In round 3, his monk misses two Earth Slashes in a row (~10% probability), then dies to a critical hit (~20% probability over the four hits he took).  Had he hit and killed with either Earth Slash, the match would have turned into a solid 4v2 in his favour.  Tough luck, man.

Otabo

Moments like those two missed Earth Slashes make me cry on the inside. GG, Avalanche.

Avalanche

July 18, 2013, 01:57:51 pm #137 Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 02:41:04 pm by Avalanche
the problem with the perception of rng. One is only concerned with the the outstanding events. But if you look at the whole Luck is balanced out quite good most of the time (as more events happen). As in that match my team had bad luck in the beginning and mid game and yours in lategame.  Plus the strategy of my Team is to stay in the game until it gets a "lucky" proc (sleep, dont act or petrify) to than take the advantage and win. 

It sounded ironic or even sarcastic and wasnt ment to be.

Angelus

holy crap that was surprising. I didn't expect to beat you like that. You got kind of robbed there and letting my ninja live too. Well GG mate. You'll probably have better luck in the loser's bracket