• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:39:25 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Monk Rehaul Job Discussion (Rad/Ramza Skillset Updated!)

Started by LastingDawn, December 08, 2008, 07:36:29 pm

Archael

December 09, 2008, 07:34:57 pm #20 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
personally, I have zero clue what LD plans to do with Hessian, or what it's supposed to do

LastingDawn

December 09, 2008, 08:18:27 pm #21 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Well the plan is basically a "super mercenary, a much advanced version of Ramza's normal class (without the steal abilities), to be honest, I'm unsure of what to do with it, while Red Mage is the only mage to equip Armor, it might be smart to base something off of an opposite of Red Mage, but we'll get to that eventually.
"Moment's anger can revert to joy,
sadness can be turned to delight.
A nation destroyed cannot be restored,
the dead brought back to life."

Art of War

Beta & Gretchen Forever!!!!

Archael

December 09, 2008, 08:20:07 pm #22 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
What would be the opposite of Red Mage?

Physical skill sampler job?

The Damned

December 09, 2008, 09:36:29 pm #23 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
A Blue Mage is the opposite of a Red Mage, duh.  :P

(Technically I'm correct despite initially putting that as a joke.)

Anyway, I guess the end classes make sense. I mean, I know what the word Hessian refers to and since the whole gist of this is Mercenaries, I should have guessed it was Ramza's SSJ form and that Red Mage was Apprentice Rad's SSJ form.

Eye r stopid.

The fact that Voldemort7 borrowed from BOF3 gives me an idea that I had already used like with the Treasure. Give me an hour....[/cryptic]

Code Breaker EDIT: Okay, well that didn't take an hour. Anyway, seeing the whole "Soul" mechanic thing in Sentinal Blade's patch over the weekend reminded me that Saga Frontier (and probably the whole Saga Series) gets no love, so I thought that if Voldemort7 could borrow from BoF3, that I could borrow from a similarly awesome game.

All of these are meant to be Range: 1, Effect Area: 0 attack, except One-Inch Punch, which is a nerfed Wave Fist, and Orge Run, which is a nerfed Earth Slash. All of these are evadable except maybe Air Throw. [Once again, anything that follows is not meant to be an in-game description.]

Air Throw: A physical damage throwing that throws the enemy into the air. It will miss Floating enemies. (Earth elemental.)

Karate Chop: A simple karate chop to the temple, if well-applied, can cause Blindness. (Smallest damage of all these abilities simply because it tries to add one of the negative statuses that most beneficial to someone in close, unless you're not going to allow Monks to wear Mantles.)

Crush Beat: A simple one-two punch that attempts to always hit twice. (Too bad it has to be based on MA at this point....)

Rotation Kick: A grandoise over-the-head forward flip kick that attempts to ground all enemies, whether or not they are airborne. (Cancel: Float.)

Gold Hand: One's hand glows with an eerie golden light that attempts to disrupt the mind through either pain or more mystic sense of things. (Cancels: Charging and Performing.)

Orge Run: A wave of sand/dirt/mud is sent at the enemy that attempts to knock them off their feet or otherwise enmire them. (Earth Elemental, Cancels: Haste, Range: 2, Linear Attack)

Last Shot: An improved Secret Fist that attempts to add Death Sentence, Poison and Haste. (Well, maybe not Haste. Regardless, this should do no damage. It should just have a higher hit rate [and maybe not be MA-based so that Wizard's with their new rods can't use a lot better than Monks].)

One-Inch Punch: The Monk punches with such speed and controlled force that air pressure hits the enemy instead of his own fist. (Wind Elemental. Nerfed damage. Range: 2. I was also going to suggest maybe using Throw Stone/Dash's formula, but then I remembered that that formula doesn't take whatever elemental you give it. Lame.)

So that's eight technique on of the high possibility that if they stay, they'll probably still have Martial Arts in some capacity.

Regardless, I would say that since they're fighters, they should probably have Innate Defend. (No, not Innate Defending like Warders. I mean the option to use "Defend".)

Anyway, I hope this would help us focus on a more-straightforward Monk that's only relatively great at attacking rather than fucking godlike at it and then still amazing at everything else (as long as verticals are taken into account).
"Sorrow cannot be abolished. It is meaningless to try." - FFX's Yunalesca

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

PX_Timefordeath

December 09, 2008, 11:14:08 pm #24 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
The monk class can vary greatly depending on what you are thinking of, such as a beatdown monk and a spiritual monk. The Zuka, Voldemort and LD owned your ass. Anyways...

Exorcise: Attempts to send the living dead into their final resting place, PA+10% chance to crystalize dead undead units.

Cleasing Ritual: Attempts to remove all evil aura on target, Attacks Target, PA+MA% chance to cure Poison, Blind, Don't Act, Don't Move, Oil, Death Sentence

Meditation: Attempts to clean the monk's soul, clearing himself of all impurities, Removes ALL Status Effects on Monk, Adds Sleep

Soul Strike: Attacks the target's soul, ignoring defences. Ignores Defence Up/Protect PA+30% Accurate

Spirit's Strength: PA+2, User loses 10% Max HP

Stone Splitting Punch: 3 Range attack, Wave Fist Formula, PA+50% Accurate

Spirit Split: Attempts to seperate a unit's spirit from their body, 5% Add Dead, 10% Add Stop, 1 Range

First Aid: Heals target, 1 Range, heals 5-25% Hp

This is a different interpretation of a monk, hope this might help.

Archael

December 09, 2008, 11:25:46 pm #25 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
The Damned I usually love your ideas but the only one I like out of your post this time is Death Sentence + Haste + Poison

the rest are mmmehhh

however the more ideas the better the final skillset will be   :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :cry:

The Damned

December 09, 2008, 11:43:08 pm #26 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
If there's a final skillset at this point; I personally don't like my skillset either, but I was trying to not focus to heavily on status and just straight damage with some type of option. (That and trying to stick within the current graphics in the game, although I have no idea what Air Throw would look like since you can't really animate the affected sprite after outside of the "damaged" affect. But I digress yet again.)

It may well just be easier for LastingDawn to just get rid of Monk and eitehr replace it or just focus on the other classes for now considering he himself is currently unsure what Monks should do; just that vanilla monks are broken.

I think my own lack of enthuaism for Monk is showing.

"Good and evil are relative, but being a dick cannot be allowed." - Oglaf's Thaumaturge in "The Abyss"

"Well, see, the real magic isn't believing in yourself. The real magic is manipulating people by telling them to believe in themselves. The more you believe, the less you check facts."  - Oglaf's Vanka in "Conviction"

Archael

December 09, 2008, 11:45:48 pm #27 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
QuoteIf there's a final skillset at this point;

err... wtf

there is no final skillset , just the idea that LD wants to replace the job

that's what we're trying to come up with

QuoteIt may well just be easier for LastingDawn to just get rid of Monk and eitehr replace it or just focus on the other classes for now considering he himself is currently sure what Monks should do; just that vanilla monks are broken.

it's easy as pie to re purpose the job and turn it into something else altogether

why get rid of it?

you're weird

The Damned

December 09, 2008, 11:49:10 pm #28 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "Voldemort7"you're weird

You're saying that like it's news or something.

Anyway, I say if it's broken, there's no reason to "fix it". Just buy a new one if possible and focus on something else, at least for now.

I do agree that it would be rather easy to repurpose it since Punch Art isn't bitchy like Item (grr...), but LastingDawn himself said that he wasn't really sure what to do with Monk. We kind of need some direction to go on....

P.S. Personally, I got the impression that LastingDawn just wanted to change/nerf the Monk class given that name hasn't changed like all the other jobs (sans Archer and, uh, Knight?), but that may just be me misunderstanding things.

LastingDawn

December 09, 2008, 11:59:19 pm #29 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Great ideas, everyone! Unfortunately... most of the ideas you suggested aren't possible PX, EXorcise is, Cleansing Ritual doesn't have that formula in an attempt to create. A status can't remove and add, I don't think any amount of ASM hacking can help that. to be honest... I'm not even sure how to make Voldemort's "ignore defense" move work. Spirit's Strength is another impossibility, no way to take away your Max HP in a battle.

Stone Splitting is possible,

Spirit Split would have to be 25% on each.

First Aid doesn't really... fit a monk, nothing... monk like about it.
----------------------------------------------

Air Throw, quite an interesting idea. The animation for it is what... worries me.

Karate Chop - While Blind is truly effective up-close, it's quite a low tiered status, if it were a normal damage move while applying Darkness, that could work... hmm... I'll have to come back to that.

Crush Beat - Aie, if only it didn't have to be based on MA... then again, one MA move isn't too bad, but it would have to be more... magically inclined.

Rotation Kick, would that only affect floating units? As in, a move comparable to Death that disables the status and hurts them X%?

Golden Hand - very interesting description... I like the move.

?Ogre? Run - Very creative! A thing that cancels Haste that isn't slow is quite a nice addition.

Last Shot - Hold that thought, I actually have a thought to make Death Sentence usable, but it will probably be in another set.

One Inch Punch is a weakened Wave Fist, yes. Hard to say what I'll do with that...
---------------------------------------------------

1) Disembowel is an interesting move, I can see that going to Blansch as well for some reason...

2) Kyrie - very nice name, Undead are really getting bounced around here... hard to say if I want another "kill undead" move.

3) Mighty Chop - I can't quite understand how that's done... maybe you know?

4) Flying Kick - I like the thought, a move based on Speed is pretty inventive in itself.

5) Meditation - seems like it will need quite a bit of a charge time/

6) Sacrifice - An... odd move, a one hit Self Destruct? Sure it shouldn't add
a status or anything...? I mean, Archer's have Doom Archer which has a chance to add Confusion, Self Destruct on the Blue Mage is well... Self Destruct. Martyr might a way into the game again, not sure yet.
----------------------------------------

Ah well allow me to make my intentions more clear, I really like the idea of a Monk that uses Staves and/or his Bare Fists. I think Tactics just made them too... unlike Monks. My own personal ideas for this...

I love Yang from FF4, and if only his skillset could be mimiced... the only thing we can even partially do is "kick" which could get out of hand. Brace and Boost are unavailable in Tactics unfortunately, though I really like both of them as ideas... but alas, I doubt anything like that can be done.

So, I'm looking for something more intune with the "classic Monk" of FF lore, if possible. The sticks are good ideas though, since only Oracles can equip them currently, that would need a formula change though...

Art of War

The Damned

December 10, 2008, 12:30:03 am #30 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
First and foremost, I'm retarded for not linking to the Monk page on FFCompendium earlier. Hell, I didn't even think about it.

Everyone click that, especially if they don't know about Yang--I myself have never played FF4. (And, no, I'm not sure how to make that website fit fully in a screen without having to scroll back and forth annoyingly.)

Quote from: "LastingDawn"Air Throw, quite an interesting idea. The animation for it is what... worries me.

Yeah.

QuoteKarate Chop - While Blind is truly effective up-close, it's quite a low tiered status, if it were a normal damage move while applying Darkness, that could work... hmm... I'll have to come back to that.

Personally, I'd rather go with lesser damage just to be "safe", even if we're not worrying about numbers.

QuoteCrush Beat - Aie, if only it didn't have to be based on MA... then again, one MA move isn't too bad, but it would have to be more... magically inclined.

How so? Like elemental? (Crush Beat looks rather like an explosion in Saga Frontier.)

More Status interaction? The only appropriate thing I could think of would destroying/crushing barriers, but Crumble already does that (or will do that) for Warder.

Hell, there's actually a lot in the Warder thread that could maybe used for Monks after there are leftovers.

QuoteRotation Kick, would that only affect floating units? As in, a move comparable to Death that disables the status and hurts them X%?

No. It's just a regular attack with the ability to Cancel Float. I'd rather above using the Death formula for much since a)it relies on MA and b)it always heals Undead.

Most physical attacks should do neither of those things if so possible.

QuoteGolden Hand - very interesting description... I like the move.

Thanks much. I always did like that attack in-game.

Quote?Ogre? Run - Very creative! A thing that cancels Haste that isn't slow is quite a nice addition.

Yeah...I don't know where the "Orge" part comes from either.

And, yeah, I'm trying not to impede on Time Mage's territory since it currently sucks ass outside of Haste and Slow, so alternatives to Slow that aren't as proactive are what I try to focus on personally.

QuoteLast Shot - Hold that thought, I actually have a thought to make Death Sentence usable, but it will probably be in another set.

Ah. Well, I should have figured when the Killer Bee thing was rejected.

So noted.

I'm going to see if I can try and find a video of the Saga Frontier techniques, but it probably doesn't (readily) exist.

PX_Timefordeath

December 10, 2008, 01:37:37 am #31 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by PX_Timefordeath
Oh yeah now we are talking. Yang eh?

SPRITE CHANGE!!!! MAKE EM BALD, PONYTAIL CHINESE STYLE, NO SHIRT!!!

NO STICKS, CLAWS ONLY, TWO SWORDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kick: 1 Range, 2 Area, 0/1 V, Splits damage evenly between targets

CHARGE +5!!!!!!!!!

Grid adds defense right? I never used it and i never used Yang after i PLeveled Cecil to 50? Maybe add defend or something.

Getting these claws straight off FF IX's Red Head Amarant

Cat's Claws
Buy: 4000 Sell: 2000 Attack Power: 23[yeah... lower these or something] Notes: Ordinary claws used for combat. Add St: None Abilities: Chakra (30); Counter (240)
Poison Claws
Buy: 5000 Sell: 2500 Attack Power: 33 Notes: Combat knuckles. Add St: Poison
Mythril Claws:
Buy: 6500 Sell: 3250 Attack Power: 39
Kaiser Knuckles
Buy: 18000 Sell: 9000 Attack Power: 75 Notes: Claws with a wind spirit dwelling inside. Elem-Atk: Wind
Avenger
Buy: 16000 Sell: 8000 Attack Power: 70 Notes: Powerful claws that can kill opponents with one hit. Add St: Death Blow

From FF IV Yang:
Fire Claws/Ice Claws/Thunder Claws: Stronger than poison but weaker than mythril i suppose

Custom Claws:
Moogle Claws: Strong as Cat's Claws, Add: Charm/Confusion
Chocobo Claws: Strong as Cat's Claws, Add: Haste

All I can think of now, good night and have a pleasant tomorrow!

EDIT: Hehe Blow-up post

boomkick

December 10, 2008, 01:44:54 am #32 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
You could make a bracer type weapon, but make it the punching animation?

The Damned

December 10, 2008, 02:28:31 am #33 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "PX_Timefordeath"NO STICKS, CLAWS ONLY, FINAL DESTINATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...That's all I have to say at the moment.

*goes to bed*

LastingDawn

December 10, 2008, 07:58:32 am #34 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
As Boomkick points out, Claws are a very difficult thing to create, especially because one of the... wait actually... hmm... we might be able to use the bag animations for this. I'll try something when I get home from work, if Claws can work, then great! If they can't... well... we can always go with bracer weapons. Now back to moves...

---------------------

Crush Beat, ah, what I meant was a more... magical sounding name is all, since Crush Beat doesn't sound too... magical.

Rotation Kick - hmm, what formula would you suggest for this and Karate Chop?

Art of War

Zuka

December 10, 2008, 11:22:58 am #35 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zuka
allright, well, I didn't intend to stir up such a problem among the group and throw everyone off topic, my feelings are simply that a monk, while being a good rounded character, is not OVER powered, I can think of more times that buying revive was a waste of JP than when it was useful... all not the point, I have a couple Ideas for a new class, or at least a couple new abilities...

Elemental Sword: Using effect from any appropriate black magic (I would likely use the lvl 1's) with the formula PA+WP/*MA for a sort of Red Mage character (You remember them, decent MA, decent PA, not excelling at either) Reminiscent of FFIX's magic sword abilities.

not to mention, you could easily fix how broken the monk is by changing the formula of Chakra to heal with MA, or the same for revive, you could even change their earth slash or wave fist to MA and they would be super nerfed right there, just an Idea, though i respect all of your opinions and still lean toward dissagreement with you... I think you're all very knowledgeable about the game, but clearly wer have different play styles, which I cannot and will not hold against you... heck, that's why I joined this forum...

(edit): Too early in the morning, I thought I was in the new classes topic, sorry everyone.

Archael

December 10, 2008, 11:42:54 am #36 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Zuka"allright, well, I didn't intend to stir up such a problem among the group and throw everyone off topic, my feelings are simply that a monk, while being a good rounded character, is not OVER powered, I can think of more times that buying revive was a waste of JP than when it was useful....

If you think Revive was a waste of JP because of it's silly little vert. tol limitation you are not seeing the big picture of WHY the skillset is fucking amazing. As I explained in my previous post, Earth Slash and Wave Fist alone are borderline broken ON THEIR OWN, they don't even need Reviva OR Chakra present to be an amazing skillset.

Quotenot to mention, you could easily fix how broken the monk is by changing the formula of Chakra to heal with MA, or the same for revive, you could even change their earth slash or wave fist to MA and they would be super nerfed right there, just an Idea,

I am getting the notion that you do not have much understanding of what we are capable of modifying, or how internal FFT skill mechanics work...

I am almost sure at this point that Martial Arts is out of Mercenaries, this new job won't need it for it's skills to be good

you are forgetting LD has complete control over that formulas these skills will use... they won't need Martial Arts to function if he doesn't want them to

Quotethough i respect all of your opinions and still lean toward dissagreement with you... I think you're all very knowledgeable about the game, but clearly wer have different play styles, which I cannot and will not hold against you... heck, that's why I joined this forum...

leaning toward disagreement is OK, but some of the reasons you post for calling Monk's Skillset sub-par are very misinformed...

the skillset won't become broken for someone who doesn't know how to maximize it,, but this mod (hell, most people who play mods) are already very familiar with game mechanics

you can be sure they're gonna be rockin full monk PA + Earth Slash + Earth Clothes + Attack Up if they can get their hands on something equivalent to it

I know I would

The Damned

December 10, 2008, 12:27:24 pm #37 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by The Damned
Quote from: "LastingDawn"Crush Beat, ah, what I meant was a more... magical sounding name is all, since Crush Beat doesn't sound too... magical.

Rotation Kick - hmm, what formula would you suggest for this and Karate Chop?

Oh, the names aren't really important--they're all just taken directly from the Saga Frontier moves that inspired them; I would never name something Orge Run.

As for formulas, well, currently the PA-based ones suck to put it plainly. The only (decent) one I see that actually adds Status is 2D, which would work for Rotation Kick...at least until you add Claws/weapons into the mix, then it would probably come rather strong even without claws--although I just got an idea for something else....

I'm not sure I want to use 2D for Karate Chop, but there's honestly NOTHING else (that isn't followed by NS or has some MA in it) outside of the Weapons formulas, which I've had trouble with personally--you could maybe use that since you seem to have a working version of Beso Toxico already (which I haven't been able to replicate).

Crap, this reminds that I probably didn't add the Formulas to the Wiki like I had meant to.

Wiki EDIT (heh): Okay, I edited in the Formulas on the Wiki...except for some reason it won't remember me, so I didn't do under my forum name. Damn. I'll have to fix that later.

boomkick

December 23, 2008, 03:07:20 pm #38 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by boomkick
LD if your going for claws, then maybe there should be effects for claws, like Voldemort did with daggers in v1.3

These are just suggestions, they are "or":
-Extra Attacks
-Extra Speed
-Status Effects (both beneficial/negative, both inflicting and self inflicting)

Some examples:

Claw- Regular claw, useful for tearing the living crap out of something.
WP- 8
WEv- 20
Other- +1 Speed

Bronze Claw- Regular claw reinforced with bronze.
WP- 9
WEv- 20
Other- +1 PA

Magic Claw- Regular claw blessed with Magic.
WP- 7
WEv- 20
Other- +2 MA

Mythril Claw- Strong claw used frequently by the royal army.
WP- 10
WEv- 20
Other- +1 PA and +1 Speed

....on to the more powerful ones

Shredder- A devious claw that was used to slaughter thousands.
WP- 16
WEv- 15
Other- +2 PA

Death's Wish- A claw sent from Hell
WP- 15
WEv- 20
Other- Inflicts Death Sentence, Always Undead.

Hashmalum's Pain- Claw given to his most loyal and powerful servant.
WP- 18
WEv- 20
Other- +2 PA and +2 MA, Inflicts Dead, Always Slow, Initial Petrify.

Thats what i've got for claws.

LastingDawn

December 23, 2008, 09:51:07 pm #39 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by LastingDawn
Ohh... I like Hashmalum's pain. But normally as a rule in FF, Claws don't give attack power (at least it was that way in FF4...) which is what I'm basing this on... so, the ideas work, if we take away all of the WP dealings. This allows for a bit more... varied technique.

Art of War