• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Good patch for a full play? (WOTL version)

Started by Reddy, December 23, 2018, 07:37:56 pm

Reddy

I'm looking to a simple patch that increases the random encounters difficulty and variety of enemies, (less monsters and more humans with a variety of classes), and also makes the main history fights harder, having the enemy's level and equips match my party level's.
I have tested some patches and all of them changes too much other mechanics, im looking for straight harder enemies. 

Sorry if this post isn't supposed to be here, just haven't found a better place to post it.

Thanks already and congratulations on this website, im a big fan of FFT and just recently found out that modding is possible.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL

Nukas

IIRC the largest obstacle to increasing enemy variety in battles is the sprite cap. You can sort of get around this by editing their abilities. For example, you could have 3 knights in a battle, but one is equipping a bow with aim/charge as their secondary skill set, another is wielding a knight sword with two hands and has throw, and the third is using the good and old sword and shield with white magic. That's usually as good as it gets for variety. And try to avoid using two jobs of different genders as those count as two sprites.

As for a patch, I'd say you're better off creating your own. It's pretty easy, let's you adjust it to your liking and avoid the issue of messing with the vanilla mechanics and abilities. You can just focus on editing job growth stats and the ENTD and that should be enough for a challenge.
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

Yeah, it's rather unlikely that you'll find a patch that only changes the battles. They aren't at all the most obviously broken part of FFT, and most people will do things like make Archers usable or turn Calculators into Red or Blue Mages.

If you do opt to set it up yourself, you're probably also best suited to manually giving these guys custom secondary skillsets rather than just choosing the generic secondaries. Special secondary skillsets are auto-mastered last I checked, whereas using the generic ones will only let them use what they've learned automatically based on their job progression. I have no idea if you'd still have those secondaries equipped upon Inviting them, though, come to think of it...

Also, monsters can be hard. They just aren't designed to be in FFT. As an example, Jot5 gives them small, but powerful skillsets, as well as innate skills. I'd take a good look at what the monsters in Jot5 can do and consider beefing up the monster skillsets comparably.
There are certainly more changes to Jot5 that help bring monsters up to the level of actual threats, but that's the most profound part of it.

• Modding version: Other/Unknown

Nax

QuoteIIRC the largest obstacle to increasing enemy variety in battles is the sprite cap. You can sort of get around this by editing their abilities. For example, you could have 3 knights in a battle, but one is equipping a bow with aim/charge as their secondary skill set, another is wielding a knight sword with two hands and has throw, and the third is using the good and old sword and shield with white magic. That's usually as good as it gets for variety. And try to avoid using two jobs of different genders as those count as two sprites.

The sprite cap is a PSX thing. There is no sprite cap in WotL.

Nukas

Quote from: Nax on January 15, 2019, 11:21:02 am
The sprite cap is a PSX thing. There is no sprite cap in WotL.

You sure about that? I quickly modified an ISO to test it by changing the first battle at Gariland and set it to have 15 enemies with different jobs each to always appear, plus Delita and 5 different job/sex combos for my party (Ramza + 4) for a total of 21 different sprites. Of those, only Delita, Ramza and his party and the first 8 enemies loaded in the battle, a total of 14 different units/sprites. Then I changed the missing enemies to use jobs that were already loaded, and this time all 15 enemies, Delita, Ramza and his party all loaded correctly (14 different sprites, 21 total units).
If it's not a sprite cap, then what gives?
  • Modding version: PSX

Nyzer

Yeah, I'm pretty sure WotL had a sprite cap too - just a higher one.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Nax

I may have been mistaken, and the sprite cap may simply be higher than on PSX. Sorry about that.