• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:58:33 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Introduction!

Started by Ninety, January 22, 2016, 06:59:58 pm

Ninety

Hey all! I'm Ninety. For want of a general questions thread, I'm doing a full introduction here (if there is one, I'd appreciate a pointer). I'm a long-time fan of the Tactics series, TA and TA2 over FFT. I've been interesting in modding the former two for a while now (gameplay, mostly), but didn't know where to begin, so here I am! I wanted to know -- how in-depth and accessible are the tools available, and what level of prior knowledge is required? I have some basic knowledge of programming and computer architecture, but I haven't done any work on ROMs or general modding yet. Looking forward to working with you all!

Angel

Hi, Ninety!

In-depth
FFT (PSX): Quite. Lots of tools around for changing nearly everything within reason.
WotL (PSP): While some tools that work for PSX FFT also work for PSP WotL, they aren't as versatile and only work in a limited way. Many things are not possible with WotL currently.
WotL (iOS/Android): Save-editing only.
FFTA: A few helpful tools are available.
FFTA2: Rather more limited than FFTA.

Accessible
FFT (PSX): With the exception of movie editing and custom music, all the tools are quite accessible (though a couple have their quirks).
WotL (PSP): Accessibility is deceptive, as you won't always be aware of a restriction until you hit it.
WotL (iOS/Android): Seeing as there's only save editing available, it's pretty straightforward.
FFTA: Darthatron's All-In-One speaks for itself.
FFTA2: I am actually pretty unfamiliar, to be honest. But I do know it's been worked on and comes up occasionally in IRC.
  • Modding version: PSX
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

JamesGoblin

Thanks for the detailed reply!

PS nice avatar.

PPS and of course, (slaps forehead) welcome Ninety <3