• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:07:13 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Worst RPGs you've played?

Started by Angel, August 24, 2014, 09:25:16 pm

Rufio

Yeah that sounds about right.  For some reason my brain completely failed to process that there was an entire other paragraph after your Mystic Quest one.  I remember wanting an RPG for my 64 soo badly because I loved Chrono Trigger and FF3 (6) soo much.  I also just remembered that Paper Mario was a thing that existed and that I never really played it for some reason

TableTop Adventures Demo is out.
Try it out and let me know how to make it better.

Kaijyuu

Quote from: Dome on August 25, 2014, 08:14:42 pmFF8 IS THE WORST PIECE OF SHIT EVER, AND EVERYONE WHO DISAGREES IS A FUCKING FAGGOT (Or a bisexual furry pony)

I'd point out that I actually agree with you, but I'm taking a class right now that teaches standard logic and through using that I know that your statement is not incorrect. You only said anything about people who disagree with you, but nothing about people who DO agree with you. Thus, I can be a depraved bisexual furry pony and agree with you without you being wrong.

Also Mystic Quest is great and anyone who disagrees is a stupid head.
  • Modding version: PSX

Rufio

He only stated if(¬A)→B which is a perfectly fine logical statement in and of itself.  It does not imply if(B)→(¬A).

Edit: which is exactly what you said.  I missed your double negative "not incorrect".

Celdia

Earthbound.

Any of them. Pick one. I've tried to play several and I can't get more than about 30 minutes into them before the voice in my head screaming "What the fuck is this bullshit?" just drives me to give up. I do not get what people see in it. There is too much focus on wacky comedy for the game to take the time to make me give any kind of a shit about the plot or characters. And speaking of the 'comedy', I really use the term loosely because nothing about it is even remotely funny. All I see is one bad, failed joke or pun after another and I just want to facepalm after each.

Beyond that, the art direction just boggles the mind. I won't say it looks bad but my mind just can't comprehend the viewing angle of the world because all I see is this twisted landscape where "up" isn't perpendicular to the ground but rather a 45-degree angle elevated away from it.

The mechanics are nothing but the standard recycled Dragon Quest basics with very little to set it apart there. There is so little of note about them that I can't think of anything else to say about it. *yawn*

I just do not understand how this series has any kind of a following at all. When a game's best and most-defining feature is 'being quirky' then you've got a problem.
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Rufio

Plus, shooting yourself in the butt with a lightning ball just so you can triple jump is super annoying.

Xander

Grandia.

I have no love for this game whatsoever.  I remember my mom bought it a few years after we'd gotten a playstation.  I'd done played the hell out of the other four games we had (FFT included), and I remember being soooo excited to play this... Then I just... hated it. From start to me turning it off after a few hours.  I had my mom take it back, lol.   Sad that a physical copy is something like $120 now.  Can't win all the PSX lotteries.  I have two copies of FF7, a FFT, and the first two Suikoden...  Can't get much better than that, but it'd be nice to own a game with a price tag that I wanted to get rid of.  Honestly, I've no idea why I even hated it now.  I've tried to play it again with emulators, but it failed.  Just not my game.

Enchanted Arms

This game is VERY much the WORST game I've EVER played, and FINISHED.  FFXIII wasn't this bad, it's next on the list, but it wasn't this bad.  This game I poured hours upon hours into.  I built up the main character so much!  I finally got through this horrible battle system... To find out that the final boss fight was not only super effective on that character, but would also steal my fakkin turn.  So, it was a LONG and drawn out loop of >>Smack the boss, die, heal... TURN STOLEN! GAME OVER!<< until I finally got lucky.  I don't even want to to talk about the horrid scripted dialog, and the even worse voice acting.  I'd sooner go to jail than play this again.

Final Fantasy XIII and it's spawned ilk

Hey!  I got a great idea for a game! We can spend countless hours designing a full world and amazing system for leveling!  We can just cheat off the sphere grid, and make it pretty for stats.   Hmm, pretty... I like that... LET'S MAKE THIS GAME BEAUTIFUL!  The main character can even have a really bad ass gravity device!  She'll only use it twice, but screw it.  It's only there to make her more badass than Cloud for fifteen minutes anyway.  Now... The best part about this game?!  It's a hallway.  Yeah.  A forty hour long hallway.  I mean... We'll change the scenery... Even throw in some exceptionally big rooms...  Then, seeing as the forty hour long hallway can really bore some folks, her sister can have the most confusing god damned time line of a story that anyone that knows how to correctly count will just give up on figuring it out.   Can't wait for the third one.

Angel

Okay, I need to set one thing straight. Grandia is pretty standard through the first disc. Nothing really special, just ordinary JRPG fare that's all a bit one dimensional. It's the SECOND disc where everything explodes and goes topsy-turvy and it becomes the masterpiece everybody says it is. Because it is a masterpiece. I'll forgive you for not finishing it, but I won't let you call it awful without finishing it. Seriously, anybody who's played through the game will tell you this.

As an aside, despite having Grandia for freaking years, I bought and played Grandia II on Dreamcast loooooooong before getting around to the first game. Which is to say, I made Xifanie play it for me, since she had such praise for it. I really liked Grandia II until she showed me how much better the first game was.

Edit: My Stockholm Syndrome for FFXIII aside, I say XIII-2 is pretty fucking godawful, but Lightning Returns is actually fun to play. I expected to hate it even more than I do Majora's Mask, given the similar time limit mechanic, but it really is fun. A damn sight better than XIII-2, at least.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

EmmaNigma

Quote from: Toshiko on August 26, 2014, 02:18:02 am
Okay, I need to set one thing straight. Grandia is pretty standard through the first disc. Nothing really special, just ordinary JRPG fare that's all a bit one dimensional. It's the SECOND disc where everything explodes and goes topsy-turvy and it becomes the masterpiece everybody says it is. Because it is a masterpiece. I'll forgive you for not finishing it, but I won't let you call it awful without finishing it. Seriously, anybody who's played through the game will tell you this.

As an aside, despite having Grandia for freaking years, I bought and played Grandia II on Dreamcast loooooooong before getting around to the first game. Which is to say, I made Xifanie play it for me, since she had such praise for it. I really liked Grandia II until she showed me how much better the first game was.

Edit: My Stockholm Syndrome for FFXIII aside, I say XIII-2 is pretty fucking godawful, but Lightning Returns is actually fun to play. I expected to hate it even more than I do Majora's Mask, given the similar time limit mechanic, but it really is fun. A damn sight better than XIII-2, at least.

maybe grandia should swap first discs with Xenogears
I hope the junkyard a few blocks from here someday burns down, and I hope the rising black smoke carries me far away and I never come back to this town again.

EmmaNigma

Final Fantasy Tactics. It's a game so horribly broken, so unbalanced, and so poorly made that it requires an extensive modding community to make it good, often times rewriting its entire story and characters. This is good, because the plot makes no sense, and is poorly translated The characters are not engaging. Oh, cool, a character that could have a kinda cool plotline? As soon as you get them in the party, they're just generics with an exclusive job. Great character idea, idiots. Don't understand the love for this game. It's not even Final Fantasy.
I hope the junkyard a few blocks from here someday burns down, and I hope the rising black smoke carries me far away and I never come back to this town again.

Dome

Quote from: Kaijyuu on August 26, 2014, 01:15:53 am
I'd point out that I actually agree with you, but I'm taking a class right now that teaches standard logic and through using that I know that your statement is not incorrect. You only said anything about people who disagree with you, but nothing about people who DO agree with you. Thus, I can be a depraved bisexual furry pony and agree with you without you being wrong.

You are a Bisexual furry faggot
Problem solved
Quote from: Elric on August 25, 2014, 08:17:42 pm
Don't make me turn you back into the Spam mod.

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Vaan

Final Fantasy All The Bravest: Could been awesome, you dont get to choose your jobs, your attack targets are randomized if you re not fighting a single enemy/boss. Your characters are always 1-HKO'd, which makes 32 max characters a hell to survive mainly with long cooldowns to attack again, but at least when they are attacking they dont die (also they dont in fever mode, which freezes your enemies and you keep attacking wihtout cooldown but it goes away quickly). Its just a big trap to waste money to buy golden hourglasses to revive all your characters and keep playing without having to wait 3 hours for it. I know they tried to innovate but it sucked, Pictlogica innovated and it was so fun to play even though it was 100% japanese and i had no idea what the menu said.

Class of Heroes:I dont like that Dungeon Crawling system at all, and its the thing that you do alot, because if you dont grind like a motherfucker you will never suceed in here. I wouldnt mind that if good graphics, animations, battle mechanics, and storytelling were present in the game.

Evergrace: PS1-quality graphics, awkward controls, terrible translation (and voice work), limited exploration and laggy battles. Then you combine All that with insta-death pits everywhere - including the final boss battles.
"    One of these days I'll fly an airship of my own. I'll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    ,,
   ~ Vaan

3lric

Evergrace: PS1-quality graphics, awkward controls, terrible translation (and voice work), limited exploration and laggy battles. Then you combine All that with insta-death pits everywhere - including the final boss battles.

Guessing you don't like Shadow Tower, Kings Field, Demons Souls or Dark Souls either then huh? Cuz Evergrace was the shit yo, as was it's
sequel Forever Kingdom.

Quote from: Celdia on August 26, 2014, 01:38:28 am
Earthbound.

Any of them. Pick one. I've tried to play several and I can't get more than about 30 minutes into them before the voice in my head screaming "What the fuck is this bullshit?" just drives me to give up. I do not get what people see in it. There is too much focus on wacky comedy for the game to take the time to make me give any kind of a shit about the plot or characters. And speaking of the 'comedy', I really use the term loosely because nothing about it is even remotely funny. All I see is one bad, failed joke or pun after another and I just want to facepalm after each.

Beyond that, the art direction just boggles the mind. I won't say it looks bad but my mind just can't comprehend the viewing angle of the world because all I see is this twisted landscape where "up" isn't perpendicular to the ground but rather a 45-degree angle elevated away from it.

The mechanics are nothing but the standard recycled Dragon Quest basics with very little to set it apart there. There is so little of note about them that I can't think of anything else to say about it. *yawn*

I just do not understand how this series has any kind of a following at all. When a game's best and most-defining feature is 'being quirky' then you've got a problem.

but... but... you get to beat up rabid dogs with baseball bats :(
Plus, Mr. Saturn.

Though i get what you mean, I guess my love for the EB games comes from playing the SNES one when i was younger with my brother, since you can actually control in
battle with both controllers, so one person would walk around and another would battle and then switch off :P

I guess its kinda one of those things where you grow to love it because its one of the only things you have to play.

Also, for sale sign, nuff said :P

nitwit

Vaan

Quote from: Elric on August 26, 2014, 01:34:14 pm
Guessing you don't like Shadow Tower, Kings Field, Demons Souls or Dark Souls either then huh? Cuz Evergrace was the shit yo, as was it's
sequel Forever Kingdom.

I didnt say i didnt like it, i said it was bad compared to the ones i played, and might not be the 3rd worse rpg i played, i probably forgot many others, i have a really bad memory; Also never played shadow tower, kings field, but loved demons and dark souls. I was going to get Forever Kingdom in the store but i saw .Hack// quadrilogy and got those instead, no regrets.

And in response to people up there i liked Mystic Quest, FFXIII, Grandia and Earthbound. :v
"    One of these days I'll fly an airship of my own. I'll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    ,,
   ~ Vaan

Celdia

but... but... you get to beat up rabid dogs with baseball bats :(

But I can do that in real life. I like my games for their escapism. :P

Plus, Mr. Saturn.

Okay, I don't know what that thing's deal is, but it is ugly as sin. Looks like some kind of fucked up mutation of a human and a pug.

Kaijyuu

Earthbound's battle system is pretty terrible. The rest of the game runs on style, and if it doesn't tickle your fancy, then you won't enjoy the game.

MOTHER 3 is much better if you care more for solid gameplay and presentation.

3lric

Quote from: Kaijyuu on August 26, 2014, 06:02:28 pm
Earthbound's battle system is pretty terrible. The rest of the game runs on style, and if it doesn't tickle your fancy, then you won't enjoy the game.

MOTHER 3 is much better if you care more for solid gameplay and presentation.

Battle system is no different than 1,000,000 other RPGs that are equally awesome.

Quote from: Celdia on August 26, 2014, 03:34:20 pm
Looks like some kind of fucked up mutation of a human and a pug.

Was that supposed to be negative? Cuz that all sounds pretty awesome to me.

Kaijyuu

You haven't played those one million RPGs, then. There's little choice of actions to be made the entire game; largely you spam attack and occasionally heal. Offensive PSI is relegated to screen clearing weak enemies and unloading all your PP on bosses, and other abilities are either not worth your time or replace the attack command (looking at you, heavy bazooka). The rolling HP meter also makes you want to go through menus as fast as possible, which leads to fighting the UI.

The most "strategic" thing I ever did in Earthbound was putting the Heavy Bazooka in Jeff's first item slot so I could use it faster and end my turn as quickly as possible. Stopping to think and make decisions can hurt you and rarely gives any benefit, since the basic attack command (or bazooka) is likely the ideal choice anyway. A turn based game with few decisions to make is a tedious game.

There are a lot of RPGs with bad battle systems but Earthbound's is particularly bad. The game's merit is elsewhere.

3lric

I still dont see it any different than, attack, magic, item, escape. Which is what most of the RPGs of that time were.
sure they each have their own differences, like Paladins Quest were you can attack with any body part, but its all the same basic principle. Maybe its just because i dont mind excessive grinding or the same battles every 15 seconds that I dont see the argument here. Or maybe its because i enjoy the art style of the enemies. Even to
this day I still love it, even got a repro of earthbound uncut not long ago and played thru the entire thing loving every minute :P

Also, being half man, half dog not only makes you a mog, but it also makes you your own best friend, so thats
a win in my eyes ^-^

Celdia

Quote from: Elric on August 27, 2014, 01:27:49 am
Also, being half man, half dog not only makes you a mog, but it also makes you your own best friend, so thats
a win in my eyes ^-^

When you're your own best friend you're your only friend in the world.