• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:39:37 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

[Old] About monsters & elements

Started by Dome, July 17, 2012, 01:08:46 pm

Dome

July 17, 2012, 01:08:46 pm Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:06:21 am by Dome
Some monsters are not aligned with an element atm
Do you think it should stay this way, or each monster should get an elemental affinity?

Second question:
At the moment, monsters with an elemental affinity absorb their element & are weak against another
Is it all right for you? Or should monster get more? For example, 2 absorb - 1 Weak - 1 Null - 2 Half?

Discuss
P.s: I'm asking this because I feel (And I'm not the only one) elements are underrated at the moment
With the introduction of more "elemental" spells (Like Idro, Aero & Quake), giving each monster an element would give the player more reasons to use them

"Be wise today so you don't cry tomorrow"

Taichii

in fft:lom i gave every monster an element.. because the patch is element based... so i think if you want more elemental battle system in your patch, then you should give each monster elements too :)
Please do share your ideas and suggestion for my project:
FINAL FANTASY TACTICS : LEGEND OF MANA

Join our RP :)
"Desperation"

"PAIN. THAT'S WHAT KEEPS YOU HUMAN"

HebrewToYou

Quote from: Dome on July 17, 2012, 01:08:46 pm
Some monsters are not aligned with an element atm
Do you think it should stay this way, or each monster should get an elemental affinity?

Second question:
At the moment, monsters with an elemental affinity absorb their element & are weak against another
Is it all right for you? Or should monster get more? For example, 2 absorb - 1 Weak - 1 Null - 2 Half?

Discuss
P.s: I'm asking this because I feel (And I'm not the only one) elements are underrated at the moment
With the introduction of more "elemental" spells (Like Idro, Aero & Quake), giving each monster an element would give the player more reasons to use them

Answer 1: I don't think that *every* monster necessarily needs an element, but most of them should have one.

Answer 2: I think that every monster should have one affinity that causes absorption, but in certain cases could be weak/null/half'd against multiple elements as needed.  Case-by-case basis and what not.

Dome

Thanks for the feedbacks so far guys :-)

Dome

July 19, 2012, 03:12:54 pm #4 Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:18:56 pm by Dome
No more opinions on this? Monsters are so unworthy in your eyes? :-(

Eternal

If it makes you feel better, I'm still at a loss about what to do with half of my monsters in PW and Pigs in KO. :P
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Dome

Quote from: Eternal248 on July 19, 2012, 03:26:09 pm
If it makes you feel better, I'm still at a loss about what to do with half of my monsters in PW and Pigs in KO. :P

It just makes me even sadder :'-(

Lady Ladile

For what it's worth, I'd agree with giving most monsters at least one elemental affinity and one elemental weakness; perhaps the highest tier of each monster class could get two elemental affinities or something, if it seems fitting for the monster.

As to the second question, I'd say that if most monsters have an affinity, then they should have a weakness and the rest halved.

Of course I haven't played the patch and I have no idea how this would actually work in practice, so you might want to play around with it a bit and do some testing.

Neophyte Ronin

If you wish to incorporate elements to all monsters, then they should have slight differences to one another.  We can extend this further by making each creature among their species unique in some fashion.

Chocobo - halves water and wind.
Black Chocobo - Absorbs wind, weak to water.
Red Chocobo - Negates Fire

Goblins - Halves all Elements (they were the resident anti-magic imps before anyway).  In addition to Innate Arcane Defense, give them Auto-Shell.

Panthers - Red Panthers negate earth, but are weak to water
Coeurls - weak to water, negates Fire, but halves other elements except Earth
Vampire - The only panther who's Undead already, befitting its apparent idiom; weak to water, holy, absorbs Dark, negates Fire

These are just examples; feel free to change them as you go.

Ahriman (Blue Floating Eye) - Halves elements, absorbs ice & Dark, Holy is standard
Veteran (Yellow Floating Eye) - Havles elements, absorbs lightning & Dark, Holy is standard
Plague Eye (Red) - Halves elements, Absorbs Fire & Dark, Holy is standard

Bisonkin (it's like Wisenkin, right?) - Absorbs Earth, Water weakness, Air Half
Minotaur - Absorbs Earth & Fire, Water Weakness
Sacred - Absorbs Holy & Earth, Water Weakness, Negates Dark

You can also extend this to status immunities.  By not keeping them universal as before, it throws people a bigger curveball into deciding which character to keep, not solely by abilities alone.

Green Dragon - Immune to Poison, Negates Wind, Absorbs Thunder, Weak to Darkness & Earth
Blue Dragon - Immune to Slow, Absorbs Ice and Wind, Negates Water, Weak to Fire & Darkness
Red Dragon - Immune to Darkness, Absorbs Fire, Negates Earth, weak to Ice and Holy

I say go for it: give each little punk their own niche.

Dome

Thanks for the feedbacks guys: I'll work on monsters a bit and see what comes out