• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 02:21:22 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Completely new to this

Started by CHL_305, June 09, 2013, 11:43:03 am

CHL_305

Hello I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is CHL or Luke. I am really new to this whole thing so I may have a lot of what will seem to be ignorant questions. I played WotL on PSP a few years ago and I loved it. Recently I have been looking to get back into it and from research I found that the original Tactics was a much better game.

So now I am looking to get into the original FFT. Research brought me to this site which I heard has done a lot for improving the original game. I guess first step is to find a way of playing it and incorporating the mods into my gameplay.

I guess I need some help getting started, hopefully someone can nudge me in the right direction. It seems I would have to get the PSX first so I can incorporate the mods (if I am breaking forum rules, please let me know or pm me). What would be a safe and certain option to get it on my laptop? Once I have that I guess I just add the patches from this site.

CHL_305

So after some work I think I am setup. What would you suggest for someone that has played FFT: WotL to play on psx?

The consensus seems to be 1.3, should I start with that or is there some better all around mod to start with? I guess I am looking for a game experience close to the original but with all the community-agreed improvements. Once again, sorry for the noobish questions, I am really new to this.

Thanks.

cowcow96

I would prefer play 1.3. Which version of it you play do you have to decide for yourself and if you want a whole new FFT, I would prefer JOT5(this includes only 1 chapter but the others are in progress), or CCD this is a mod where many things are changed and it is one of my favorite mods.

CHL_305

Quote from: cowcow96 on June 09, 2013, 03:30:51 pm
I would prefer play 1.3. Which version of it you play do you have to decide for yourself and if you want a whole new FFT, I would prefer JOT5(this includes only 1 chapter but the others are in progress), or CCD this is a mod where many things are changed and it is one of my favorite mods.

Thanks for the reply, right now I will check out vanilla FFT and then patch in the FFT: Kind of patch to see if I like it. If not, then I will go for 1.3 easy type as I hear regular 1.3 is super hard.

CHL_305

So weird thing is happening, my game freezes at the beginning. So I am using epsxe and with the vanilla ISO I get to the black Orbonne Monastery screen and then the game freezes right after the words "God, pl" display. Even when I patched in FFT Plus, I still got the same freeze. After some initial research it seems that people agree that using epsxe should eliminate this problem but that hasn't been the case for me. Anyone know of any solutions?

Eternal

Welcome to FFH, and thanks for trying FFT: KO! I worked hard on it! :P

Be sure you're not patching an already patched ISO. Doing so will cause lots of errors.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

CHL_305

Quote from: Eternal on June 09, 2013, 08:34:10 pm
Welcome to FFH, and thanks for trying FFT: KO! I worked hard on it! :P

Be sure you're not patching an already patched ISO. Doing so will cause lots of errors.

What's up man? Cool to see you are active. I play a modded skyrim and I usually never hear from mod authors so this is cool. I was able to fix the problem, I just d/l psxfin instead and so far it is working with 1.3 easy. I am not sure which mod I want though, I think I will try your KO mod since I like the changes. I just need to patch that into a clean FFT correct?

Eternal

That's right. Always be sure to patch a clean ISO and keep a backup copy of your clean ISO!
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

CHL_305

Since I have you on here, I have a quick question. I would like to have dark knight a class I can unlock instead of waiting til chapter 4. From the forums it seems I need to hack with fftpatcher but I am such a newbie and I have no idea how to do that. Do you know if someone has already done that, so I can just add it to my game? Hopefully this question makes sense, I am used to Skyrim's download and play system, hopefully it is that easy here.

Eternal

If you're talking about 1.3's Dark Knight, I'm not very familiar with where it is, so I can't really help you there I'm afraid. The FFTPatcher can be downloaded here.. The best way to learn about it is to play with it yourself! Open a copy of your ISO and familiarize yourself with the program. It's really simple to use. :)