• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:35:44 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Greetings

Started by Curu, December 24, 2008, 10:23:09 pm

Zozma

January 24, 2009, 04:46:31 am #200 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
u know wut, if Curu makes a good riley portrait ill work on the sprite :P
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

Archael

January 24, 2009, 10:53:24 am #201 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "Zozma"u know wut, if Curu makes a good riley portrait ill work on the sprite :P

TBH work on sprites anyway

because:

I've yet to see a sprite from curu

only portraits

I mean, yes her portraits are good, but an actual sprite is not only harder, it takes longer, and is way more tedious

the actual sprite is WAY MORE important than the portrait, however good it may look

that and Curu isn't on the forum much, not compared to the rest of us

so just continue spriting normally loeleul

MagiTek v1.0

January 24, 2009, 11:50:28 am #202 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by MagiTek v1.0
You idiots all sound pretty racist right now, truth is during the time that's supposed to be taking place there were -NO- black people, Africans had yet to be taken over to Europe, so they aren't being racist by putting none in, furthermore as my old Lierature teacher always said "it's only racist if that's what you make of it", which is generally true especially in this conversation.

Zalge

January 24, 2009, 12:13:16 pm #203 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zalge
Quote from: "MagiTek"You idiots all sound pretty racist right now, truth is during the time that's supposed to be taking place there were -NO- black people, Africans had yet to be taken over to Europe, so they aren't being racist by putting none in, furthermore as my old Lierature teacher always said "it's only racist if that's what you make of it", which is generally true especially in this conversation.
Magi, you need to stop calling everyone idiots in every other post =P

DarthPaul

January 24, 2009, 12:36:09 pm #204 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
I agree with MagiTek and I don't mind the flinging of the word idiot as it is just a word you know.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

Archael

January 24, 2009, 01:19:29 pm #205 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "darthpaul"I agree with MagiTek and I don't mind the flinging of the word idiot as it is just a word you know.

yeah he is in the true correct here

CidIII

January 24, 2009, 01:41:44 pm #206 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
Quote from: "MagiTek"You idiots all sound pretty racist right now, truth is during the time that's supposed to be taking place there were -NO- black people, Africans had yet to be taken over to Europe, so they aren't being racist by putting none in, furthermore as my old Lierature teacher always said "it's only racist if that's what you make of it", which is generally true especially in this conversation.

That's probably the dumbest thing I've read on here yet. School FTW
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

DarthPaul

January 24, 2009, 02:56:56 pm #207 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
What about it was dumb?

EDIT I understand Ivalice and Europe are different, but Ivalice is very clearly a medieval world.
Oh pitiful shadow lost in the darkness, bringing torment and pain to others. Oh damned soul wallowing in your sin, perhaps...it is time to die

CidIII

January 24, 2009, 03:08:28 pm #208 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
Yes, of course there were -NO- black people in Europe, yeah sure.

I'm not sure when this game takes place, I'm guessing somewhere around the 'Hundred Years War', I know it takes place in Ivalice, but it is obviously based off of an actual event.

Even then there is evidence they were being brought to Europe to work as laborers. The Ottoman Empire had African slaves.

That's not what makes the post dumb, though, it's because she is suggesting that Africans lacked the capability of walking from Egypt/Middle East into Europe. Obviously, there were black people in Europe.
I refuse to play Final Fantasy Tactics again until I am able to do my FF6 patch! And, FFT 1.3 doesn't technically count as FFT: so there!

DarthPaul

January 24, 2009, 03:15:43 pm #209 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
On a side note I never thought about the tie in to the actual hundred year war.

Which would mean Ivalice would be the french as they lost. (If my facts are correct)

As for black people of course they were there but there was probably not a significant amount.

Of course the ottomans would have African slaves they were right next to Egypt. (Just stating not trying to start anything)

Dormin Jake

January 24, 2009, 05:08:50 pm #210 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Dormin Jake
Ivalice =/ Europe, period.  Based off of, sure.  But if creative license can result in summoned monsters, magic, moogles, and Lucavi demons, then surely some slight pigmentation differences are not out of the question.  By the same token, there should be no strict requirement that such changes actually show up.  I love diversity, but one shouldn't be upset by its absence in a Japanese RPG, seeing as how the Japanese often seem to create some semblance of ethnic homogeny in their games.  

Why all the debate though?  If adding more racial diversity to our sprites will increase the amount of spriting going on around here, we should do that!  That's what this board is for, no?  The more options, the more creation, the richer this community's output.  Who cares if Riley Freeman doesn't quite make sense in FFT's setting, it would be fucking sweet to have him anyway.  Though I'd prefer Huey.
We are Dormin. Thou art to bring us a tasty beverage.
  • Discord username: dorminjake

Archael

January 24, 2009, 06:06:39 pm #211 Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 10:15:28 am by Archael
Everyone who is pointing out the time period / region that FFT is based on is correct.

That is why you also see the majority of them with light hair, and not dark hair color.

It's not because the game is racist, or the devs are racist. I assure you the Japanese have little reason to want to include racism in FFT, and I am pretty sure that is not the reason why the majority of FFT characters are Caucasian.

If you have a problem with this, then your racism-detector is probably on way higher alert than it should be, perhaps because of insecurity / racial identity issues you yourself might be having.

GO TO JAIL.

DarthPaul

January 24, 2009, 06:57:45 pm #212 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
^Win and that is final and also Dormin makes a sound point.

CidIII

January 24, 2009, 08:24:47 pm #213 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by CidIII
Ivalice does pretty much equal Europe.

I'm not saying anyone is racist here, but saying that Europe had no black people is retarded.

I for one could care less if there were any black people in FFT.

Zozma

January 25, 2009, 04:07:15 am #214 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Zozma
I like to have a variety in my game. And i'll add in what i think is cool.
I don't care what was in europe or squares version of ivalice.
Wiegraf: Draw your sword Ramza!
Ramza: But im a monk!!

DarthPaul

January 25, 2009, 07:48:07 am #215 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
I think Zozma just summed up what the general consensus should be.

Archael

January 25, 2009, 10:22:52 am #216 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Archael
Quote from: "CidIII"Ivalice does pretty much equal Europe.

I'm not saying anyone is racist here, but saying that Europe had no black people is retarded.

No one's saying Europe didn't have black people.

But if you make a game based on a region's time period where the vast majority of the population was Caucasian, you'll probably make most of your characters Caucasian to get the point across of what time period and place in the world you are trying to represent.

How the hell do any of you misconstrue that as racism?

I am from Puerto Rico, there's tons of black people here, as well as all the other colors you can think of.

I hate racism as much as anyone, but lately I'm seeing the "RACIST" accusation card being thrown around alot for no good or valid reason other than "because I can get away with it".

It isn't cool to randomly accuse shit / people of being racist, especially when it's obvious that racial demeaning is clearly not part of the intent (in this case, FFT Dev's intent). It's not cool, it's not funny, it's not in style, and it will not make you feel any better about any insecurities you might have for belonging to any particular race.

It just makes you look like an insecure idiot.

ProTip: FFT is not racist.
The people who are on red alert for the slightest sign of possible racism are the true racists, because their own massive insecurity concerning their race leads them to jump out and blindly attack at even the slightest chance to pull out the race card.

DarthPaul

January 25, 2009, 01:56:27 pm #217 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by darthpaul
Quote from: "Archale7"ProTip: FFT is not racist.
The people who are on red alert for the slightest sign of possible racism are the true racists, because their own massive insecurity concerning their race leads them to jump out and blindly attack at even the slightest chance to pull out the race card.

Finally someone who shares my point of view.

BloodyBlade

January 25, 2009, 08:06:06 pm #218 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by BloodyBlade
Lady Curu, how goes the spriting? Update us of your work so far...

Kenshin72

January 26, 2009, 06:55:52 pm #219 Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by Kenshin72
WTF darthpaul? You changed your name?