• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:00:01 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Shishi import problem

Started by soxbaseball0328, July 17, 2019, 04:30:43 am

soxbaseball0328

I cant seem to figure out how to fix this issue. After finishing my spritesheet and portrait i try to import the bmp to shishi and the portrait at the bottom always looks discolored. Ive double checked in graphicsgaleto make sure my portrait is 4bpp 16 colors and my sheet is 8bpp. it looks clean and right in GraphicsGale which is why i cant figure out what i did wrong. The files in question are below

It's been a while since ive done this, but ive had success with importing other spritesheets. Wanna replace Mustadio after he's joined the party

Nyzer

At times like this, you have to stop and compare against existing images.

Portraits use palettes 9-16. They do not use the sprite's colors. You need to set up palette 9 for the portrait.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

soxbaseball0328

you mean loading the portrait palette to the spritesheet? i keep doing that and it looks fine in GG, but looks like the colors are mixed up in shishi? Am i not supposed to use the same colors from the sprite palette in the portrait? is using the same color twice once in the sprite and once in the portrait causing this?

3lric

No, you shouldnt be using the same colors in the port as the sprite, and not just cuz they look awful and saturated that way, but because they need to be unique colors. Download Palette Editor on this site and open your sprite in that. Maybe compare the way its setup to a vanilla one. No repeating colors between the sprite and port. All 16 colors in each need to be unique.

Are you adding the Portrait Palette in GG with the Match Colors to Pixels (or whatever its called) box checked, as you should be? Sprite, no box check. Portrait, box check.

Also the first color of the port needs to be the ports background color.
  • Modding version: PSX

Valkirst

Just checked it. You have #9 #10 and #11 reds from the first line doubled on the portrait line. So I just made some adjustments on the solo portrait bmp then made those same adjustments to the portrait line on the sprite sheet copied, pasted then flipped and bam!
Completed Sprites
  • Discord username: Valkirst

3lric

Quote from: Valkirst on July 17, 2019, 04:31:01 pm
Just checked it. You have #9 #10 and #11 reds from the first line doubled on the portrait line. So I just made some adjustments on the solo portrait bmp then made those same adjustments to the portrait line on the sprite sheet copied, pasted then flipped and bam!

I did the same, but some weirdness from the original still happens when you load the sprite into palette editor or shishi, best way to tell is open in palette editor, look at the collar, and then click on one of the colors in the palette to full load it to how shishi would display it, lets you see any quick changes

Twinees

So technically a sprite and portrait can use the same colour values, but they definitely can't share from each other's 16 colour palette. That's definitely one of the reasons why the portrait isn't looking correct. It's honestly safer to simply not use the same colours (for portrait and sprite) since if it's not set up correctly, wacky things like this can happen.
But there's actually two issues with this sheet. The second issue is that the first sprite palette reuses 3 of the same colours. So the palette needed to be squished for the portrait to show correctly as well.

soxbaseball0328

thank you all so much for the feedback. its been so long i've gotten rusty. I just love doing this though