• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:30:24 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

worldmap names

Started by Snap006, June 09, 2013, 01:10:53 pm

Snap006

How do you change the names of the locations on the world map? Thanks.

cowcow96

http://ffhacktics.com/downloads/FFTPatcher_482_v2.rar

Download this file and open your ISO with FFTac Text editor. Then go to Location Names section and there you can edit the names of them how you like.

Snap006

I edited them right there and it shows up everywhere except on the world map. They still have the original names.

Snap006

Would this be an ASM hack?

cowcow96

Did you patch your ISO or did you only close the window?

Snap006

I patched. I must be doing something wrong

Xifanie

ah you're not. cowcow96 is just completely off track. Those location names are stored as images, I forgot inwhich file, and it's also not the easiest thing to edit as each location name has a specified pixel width. So if you want longer names than the originals, that's going to be some trouble getting all of this to work. This is just stuff I know, I never touched it myself so I can't help beyond that, sorry.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

cowcow96

June 10, 2013, 10:43:34 am #7 Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:10:27 am by cowcow96
I thought that this isnt correct but not 100% :D I only try to find the easiest way sry then

Xifanie

You knew you were providing false information, but did anyway? Is that what you're saying?
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

cowcow96

I corrected my answer. And no I dont want to give false informations to the forum sorry then if it seems so. :(

Snap006

Thanks thought so. Now I know not to spend a ton of time working on it. Thanks.

messiahgov

June 22, 2013, 12:27:47 pm #11 Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:34:37 pm by messiahgov
The image with all location names can be seen with the Shishi Sprite Editor from FFTPatcher v0.466 >  (Other Images > 3rd image), no other version support it.

But as Xifanie said, somewhere is a fixed width defined, so even if you rewrite them (I had to for my German translation), they will eventually get cropped in-game, if the new location name is longer than the old one. Additionally those unknown values seem to define the centred state of each location as well, because after editing, the position on the world map still behave as vanilla (best seen on locations which name got shorten, like "Gariland Magic City" to " just "Gariland", they look like left aligned). Another problem is, that the most minimized font is used for those locations, so it's hard to add any other, even smaller font to fit longer names.

Here is a comparison of my current translation of those location names, using the vanilla font 1:1, some get cropped in-game (see 3rd picture):

I think the "easiest" way to solve the width problem is, if anybody would know where the values are. Just like the values for the main font width of a single letter, Xifanie mention here. But it's not necessary to change those main font width values manually, FFTPatcher v0.352 can change the width. Only v0.352 supports direct editing of the main font.

The location names you can edit with FFTacText, are only for the savegames and some brave story text, I think. Those on the worldmap are all in this single image. Those location names that come up before a battle, can be seen with with Shishi Sprite Editor from FFTPatcher v0.482v2, every location has his own image.