• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:59:15 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Razele's ASM Hacks

Started by Razele, January 01, 2009, 02:08:08 pm

Kokojo

Razele is not here anymore ;.;
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Vanya

Not to mention that it would be a lot of work to add even basic ASM stuff to the patcher, and I'm pretty sure melonhead isn't gonna do that.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
¯\(°_0)/¯

Atma

yeah, i figured it was asking a lot.  i'm not sure of what kind of skill and talent everyone here has.  it's just... if there were a way to make r/s/m abilities easier to edit for less skilled people or just more user friendly, then we wouldn't have to keep relying on Razele's skillz.  it just seems like it's more worth coding an editor than individually doing custom codes for every person who wants to do something a little bit different.  i'm not being demanding, i'm in no position to ask or tell anyone to do all this work, it just seems more logical to me.   :D
My name is Atma... I am pure energy... and as ancient as the cosmos.

SilvasRuin

That's essentially the same amount of work that is already done if not even WORSE.  Your solution is not a solution.

formerdeathcorps

Plus, 457 comes with a tool for you to make your own ASM hacks.  Not only that, some of the pre-made hacks in 457 can be readily customized, even if you don't know much ASM (all you need is a hex editor to compare to the original to figure out what certain numbers do).
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Atma

@SilvasRuin
I do realize a lot of work has already been done, this topic alone is only coming up on 2 months and it has 40 pages now!  the reason i say it may be the logical way is if this much work has been done withing this short amount of time alone, think of how much more it would be for a few knowledgeable people to keep doing things the way it's been, by request.

...BUT...

since formerdeathcorps mentioned, a lot of the hacks can be edited, i see that it's not worth doing what i'm suggesting.  i'm still getting my head around all this stuff and seeing what's what.  now i'm gonna look into editing the hacks that have already been made.  wanna make a few tweaks  :wink:

Kokojo

Jan 01, 2009

That's one year, sir.

But yeah. Razele was doing amazing an amazing job...then he vanished.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Atma

HAHAHA, o m g... i can't believe how dumb i am.  Jan. '09

Pickle Girl Fanboy

Quote from: "formerdeathcorps"Plus, 457 comes with a tool for you to make your own ASM hacks.

?????
Tell me more.

formerdeathcorps

All you need to do is edit the existing XML files to add in whatever personal ASM hacks you made.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Vanya

You just have to figure out the details of the hack yourself.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Skip Sandwich

quick question about the oil weak to fire, float weak to wind hack, does the float weak to wind bit only affect the status effect float, or the movement ability as well? has anyone tested this?
"Dave?  Are you there?"
"Yeah.  I can't get you through the cell now."
"You have to talk through the bratwurst from now on. I'm sorry. I didn't know it would do that."
http://www.johndiesattheend.com

Vanya

The status effect as far as i know.
¯\(°_0)/¯

formerdeathcorps

Just tested air render (wave fist flagged as air elemental).  Dealt half damage to a steel hawk (halve wind), so I know it's elemental.  However, regardless of whether a unit has float from the movement ability or the TM spell, the double damage is not applied.  Did he accidentally bundle the status hack with oil so that float only doubles damage when a unit has oil and float?

Vanya

It's possible. It's easy to test, though.
¯\(°_0)/¯

formerdeathcorps

Just tested this.  That wasn't the case either.  The float hack just doesn't work and likely wasn't included.  Personally, I'd rather see undead = weak to holy instead of float = weak to wind.

Vanya

Are you applying it via the ASM patcher thingy or are you doing it through straight hex editing?
¯\(°_0)/¯

formerdeathcorps

Application via orgASM.  The oil part of the hack works fine, though.

Vanya

Try verifying that the 2nd part applied correctly with a hex editor just in case.
¯\(°_0)/¯

Atma

hmm, i've tried using the oil status effect, but i don't think it's making the unit weak vs fire.  was the issue with float/wind the same as oil/fire?  as in did they both not work?