• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:30:23 am

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Map Editor: Ganesha 0.60 Released

Started by gomtuu, March 12, 2009, 01:40:11 pm

Cheetah

Well your fix was absolutely correct, everything is looking picture perfect in map2gl now! You were correct in that it was just the far right and bottom edge regardless of which coordinates where were, meaning you just take one pixel off the large U and V coordinates. It would be easy to make a quick correct button for polygons that were created with Ganesha, but since I'm pretty much the only person that has done any extensive map editing with lots of new polygons I wouldn't worry about it.

So yeah the dragging of the UV coordinates does work, but I'm running this so slowly that it isn't actually usable by me so I wasn't missing out on much. I still think a rotate feature and a +/-20 button would be even more useful than dragging.

I think restructuring Ganesha with more pull down menus might be nice instead of hot keys. It is fine now because you just press a hotkey and then you are in the area you want to be working in for a while and you don't switch between the different ones regularly, but like LD said it would make it more newb friendly.

Updated pic using the adjusted texture coordinates to display correctly. Notice the use of shadows in the far right, a lot of my custom texturing will be adjusting for shadows. This map will probably take another year for me to finish LOL.
Current Projects:

gomtuu

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I'm working on adding the editing panel I mentioned. Here's an early peek:

[attachment=0:2krbi1g8]edit-bar.png[/attachment:2krbi1g8]
It's going to take some time because GUI programming is slow work, but I think it'll make editing quite a bit easier. (Also, I apologize in advance: Metroid: Other M and Valkyria Chronicles 2 come out on Tuesday, and I'm visiting Michigan this weekend, all of which will slow me down. :( So I'm just waiting for the Panda3D developers to fix their wxPython package, and then I can distribute my much more convenient .P3D file!

Cheetah

These additions are looking very very good. Ah man I forgot about VC2...I might not be working on the map quite as much either. I think VC is the only current gen RPG I have actually finished. Either way take your time, I'm pretty set for now, though copy/paste of stuff and a quick move +/- tool for textures would really speed things up.

You are probably right about just getting this running natively. I think I have done most of the hard part of installing this stuff so it should be pretty easy. I think using command lines is my main hang-up, but I should be able to figure it out. I have another PC machine that I might have to use more regularly for this map stuff.
Current Projects:

Allec

So, um... I have some questions, and they are probably stupid, and I don't know if this is the right place to be asking them, but after a while of searching I couldn't find options other than actually asking, so here I am. I used to view maps using the previous Map Viewer, but that was back in my old rig, ages ago. Well, since Ganesha is now available, I thought I'd give it a try, but upon installation, it doesn't really create a shortcut nor open up -- at all. I tried to open the "main.py" file manually (I do have Python installed), but it opens only for a short moment; same for all other .py files, so I'm at loss. My operational system is Windows 7.

There is another thing: I do have some map files left from my old HD, but far from all of them, and my Final Fantasy Tactics CD appears to be empty upon inspection. I'm pretty sure I could see the contents before.

I must be missing something, but I guess I am too stupid to see what. Thank you all in advance, and sorry if this is against the rules, but I just didn't have anywhere else to go. Well, maybe support board.

Kokojo

So far, I din't get the ''play ganesha'' button too.
I did a research for ''play ganesha'' and made a windows vista stikc-to-the-task-bar thing. Now when I click it it opens. I could not find another solution.
I keep leaving, I keep coming back. Boomerang boy.

Cheetah

Install worked fine for me, it was just in the "Programs" pull down selector.
Current Projects:

Allec

Aaah, it seems I finally solved the problem!

I followed the little advice given by Kokojo, and a DOS window opened -- it gave me some (well, a lot of) errors, but the most prominent had to do with hardwire OpenGL or something, which I had to edit in the config.prc file. I did so, and now it works!

So, thank you. :) Now I just need to learn how to use it.

Is there a way to show the map's original colors, as show in-game, instead of black and white?

Cheetah

No it is gray-scale for speed reasons I believe. I just edit in conjuction with map2gl, which displays everything perfectly.
Current Projects:

Allec

Oh, bummer... you see, map2gl doesn't work here anymore. When I point to the .gns file, it simply closes itself without ever opening the map. No error message or anything. It closes too fast, so I can't see what appears in the command prompt.

I remember using it back in Windows XP. Do you think it has to do with compatibility, or something else?

EDIT: I managed to take a screen of the command prompt:

Hopefully it will help. I'm sorry for bringing so much trouble to you guys.

Oh, and sometimes two little happy faces appear:

I have no idea why, and as you can see the error remains.

I just tried it on XP mode, and it didn't run. Same error, which got me very confused. Also, I managed to make the program stay open by opening the info and camera tabs, but the maps don't load. I wonder what those monolithic textures are, or this 'create_textures_separate' that seems to define the error? I tried opening the viewer.pyc file specified, but didn't find anything that seemed wrong -- not that I understand anything about code language, but this 'create_textures_separate' is there and on par with the other command lines. This error is giving me a headache. D:

EDIT 2: Ah, I did, I did it! I have no idea what I did, but I did it! Two days messing with this. ;_;

ffta707

@ Allec: What OS are you currently using. Not sure, but it may have to do with having a 64 bit version of windows. Although I think I've used it on my windows before, which is x64.

P.S. Why is your font blue? I would suggest using black font, since it's easier for us to see. But it doesn't matter.

EDIT: I didn't see the "EDIT 2" at the bottom. My mistake and I'm glad you figured it out.

Allec

I use blue in all forums I'm part of, but I guess it is a little harder to read here, huh? Sorry about that.

I'm glad for your post, even if it was a little bit late.

For the sake of the people who might get this error later, I think it might have to do with OpenGL, as I noticed ATI Catalyst was open by the time it worked. I really have no idea why it didn't work before, though.

ffta707

Well, if you like blue, by all means go for it! I for sure don't mind it. I just don't know how the forum likes it.

Anyways, I'm guessing your PC has fairly good specs, so I won't carry on about this any more.

Allec

I like blue, but black ain't bad, heh.

In all seriousness, though, I'm really glad it worked. I can't start my LP without it.

Cheetah

Wow okay so I have it running natively through the source Gomtuu and it is running at lighting speed, I feel so dump for not doing this earlier. I'm not able to zoom in on the texture area though and it isn't letting me drag it even though it is running super fast? I don't know if it is because of my magic mouse or what.

PS: I'm about to finish off April, how bout you Gomtuu?
Current Projects:

gomtuu

Glad you guys got it working!

Quote from: "Cheetah"Wow okay so I have it running natively through the source Gomtuu and it is running at lighting speed, I feel so dump for not doing this earlier.
:) I'm still working on March. I didn't get to play much this weekend because of my trip. I did pick raspberries and get some fresh donuts and cider from a local cider mill, though!

Cheetah

I am very patient, though in this case it wasn't really an asset.

I tried some different stuff and the zoom on the UV coordinates screen isn't working. Zoom on the map as a whole is working though, so that makes it a bit more odd. How you have things configured now has been working fine on VM with the same mouse, so I don't know what could be different.

Can anyone confirm that they are able to drag UV coordinates, because at this point I haven't seen it work?

VCII rules, I love the character specific missions. Especially Reiner's.
Current Projects:

Xifanie

Progress:
[attachment=3:3ghc8p9f]SCUS_942.21_17092010_191239_0546.png[/attachment:3ghc8p9f][attachment=4:3ghc8p9f]SCUS_942.21_17092010_191235_0312.png[/attachment:3ghc8p9f][attachment=5:3ghc8p9f]SCUS_942.21_17092010_191224_0796.png[/attachment:3ghc8p9f]

Whoever...

[attachment=2:3ghc8p9f]SCUS_942.21_17092010_191509_0015.png[/attachment:3ghc8p9f]
My black polygons are overlapping on the tiles on the back for some reason...

[attachment=1:3ghc8p9f]SCUS_942.21_17092010_191521_0406.png[/attachment:3ghc8p9f]
I can't seem to manage preventing those black polygons from showing up (one on each side)

Anyone has any idea of what's going on? Because other than that, the map is pretty much completed.

Also, I can't open the map in the map viewer.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Cheetah

This is looking good Zodiac, I will take a look at it and see if there is anything I can do. Will it still fit in it's original position or do we need to move the ISO around to make room?
Current Projects:

Xifanie

MAP_098.7 needs more space; 2 sectors I think.
IIRC only .6 and .7 were modified.
  • Modding version: PSX
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

gomtuu

Looks nice, Zodiac!

I don't know why it's not opening in map2gl (I can't test it right now), but there's a section about those black polygons in the Ganesha documentation. Basically, it seems the black polygons are always drawn after the textured polygons, so even if a black polygon is behind a textured polygon, it'll cover up the textured polygon.

You should be able to get around this with the "Invisible from" checkboxes. For the black polygon(s) that shouldn't be showing in your last image (the one with "0.5h" in it), I think you'll want the ESE and SE boxes checked, and maybe SSE too. That will hide the polygon(s) when viewed from those angles (i.e. when the camera is ESE, SE, or SSE of the center of the map). You won't be able to see your changes in Ganesha, but in map2gl and in the game, the polygon should disappear when viewed from those angles. If you want to get a better feel for this, try messing with the checkboxes for a polygon that's normally always visible, like a flat horizontal polygon on a flat map.

In the game, the four two-letter directions (NW, NE, SW, SE) are used when the camera is not rotating (i.e. most of the time), and the eight three-letter directions are used while the camera is rotating. I don't know what ?0, ?1, ?14, and ?15 do, but ?0 is normally checked and the others are not.

I think Ganesha 0.60 and earlier have some of the checkboxes in the wrong place. This shouldn't hurt anything, but it'll make it more confusing when you're trying to find the one you want. They're still labeled correctly, they're just not arranged correctly in relationship to each other.