• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grim Grimoire Beta 0.7- Last Updated: 2/25/16

Started by Eternal, February 12, 2013, 01:48:41 am

Eternal

@Moose: Thanks for the feedback! I've fixed the issues in the guide.

Thief: The Loot abilities were thematically sensible, but were ultimately useless. Loot was already easy enough to come by, and things like Vaan and Hunting still exist for rarer loot. So while the Loot abilities are gone, there's still ways to get rare loot as you progress through the game. I'm not too worried about Steal Armor- it's a great way to debilitate the foe and score some gear.

Samurai: Nosada is intended to be a callback to FFT's Kiyomori ability. The point is to use it before getting close to the enemy, at the start of the battle when your units are still all together to get a cheap, easy buff on most of them.

Ninja: Specifically, Fuuma does damage equal to half of one's weapon damage to a target from 4 tiles away with perfect accuracy, bypassing Reactions and taking facing into effect. Essentially, it's for a Ninja to deal some physical damage to a ranged target (or to finish off an evasive target) until it gets close enough. Or for a Ninja who's fresh out of MP or doesn't want to use a magickal skill.

Warrior: Rend Speed inflicts Slow, whereas Mangle inflicts Speed Down. These are two different statuses, with Slow wearing off over time but Speed Down not. Mangle makes it possible for a Bangaa to reduce an enemy's Speed dramatically, combining Rend Speed and Mangle.

Dragoons: Wyrmkiller will probably end up being more useful when I can edit formations. The ultimate goal is to make dragons super tanky and powerful (like dragons tend to be in the FF series), and as such, having a higher HP threshold, will hit HP Critical earlier. Then Wyrmkiller will be able to just cut right through that wounded dragon and bring it down before it can heal.

Templar: Normally, I would agree, but there are two things to note: Silence is AoE, and Judgment is short range and only AoE if you're using a Spear. Judgment also deals damage, which is a great addition. Rasp deals MP damage in a large area, giving the Templar a ranged option, whereas Inquisition is great for taking out surrounding mages and reducing their Magick so they're even further neutered. It really just depends on what situation you're in at the moment.

En Garde: It's a shared skill, so there wasn't too much I could do with it. It's a Werewolf ability as well, so changing it would've changed their ability as well.
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Eternal

Hey team! Wanted to give everyone a quick update on this. I've been going through each skill and rebalancing/playing around with them as necessary and I'm finishing up on the new jobs. Nothing fancy to show and it's been kinda slow going because it's been a busy month, but things are coming along nicely! Looking forward to potentially wrapping up the next update soon (probably in March sometime- February is historically a pretty busy/chaotic month for me).
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"

chocolatemoose

Looking forward to it!

I know the answer will be no, but we'd be happy to help test the balance issues in the meantime.

grassmudhorses

Eternal,

Thanks for for the modding suite, that should really help understand what's possible right now.  Still looking forward to the next iteration!

Leave grapple in, and uhm, just tell people not to use it on the bosses.

I'd rather not lose a cool mechanic just because you can cheat/cheese with it.  It's really up to the player if they want to cheese bosses or not.

If you want to bring back loot - I'd think it would be cool to make the Steal X skills also do a Loot.

R000ster

Oh maaaaaaaaan. Is it bad I've been checking every day in March so far to see if this gets an update? Created an account here to try and reach rrs_kai regarding his discontinued hack, but figured making a post here to see if March will hold true couldn't hurt.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Eternal

I don't have an official update yet, but things are looking good. March in general is a busy month for me since it's the end of the first quarter and I work in the financial industry. I've been pecking away at changes while at work, so it's coming along!

@Grassmudhorses, I apologize, I thought I had replied to your post, but apparently I didn't. I'm so sorry! The answer is "no", but only because I'm not finished making all the bigger revisions I want to make. Once I have though, I'd actually really be interested in having people help test. I don't have as much free time as I used to, so the extra help would be greatly appreciated, and I value the community's input into this. :)

R000ster

Sweet. Thanks for the update, keep on keeping on. Loved the tactics series as a whole and looking forward to trying a fresh take on them after all these years. If you need testers, looks like there are still people to this day who feel the same :)

Stormlag

Kyuma

I'm interested on testing!! I will be happy to help on this project =)

mopdog

Started playing .7. Is really great so far. Still hoping to one day see a change log for stat growths. Would also appreciate knowing what classes replaced what so I can unlock them easier than trying to guess.

BearPRIME

Quote from: mopdog on May 01, 2018, 06:48:05 pm
Started playing .7. Is really great so far. Still hoping to one day see a change log for stat growths. Would also appreciate knowing what classes replaced what so I can unlock them easier than trying to guess.

Its pretty hard to track stats and stuff even though much is the same.  I find the best way is to check out lennart's ffta2 editors for ability and for jobs.  All the stat growths are listed there and you can see the abilities for each job (they have the old names in the editor).  I think for the most part there isn't any major changes to stat gain for most classes.  the only one I remember is the arcanist has 11 atk or something, but a safe assumption is that vanilla close to accurate.

I think all the job requirements are the same, and at the top of my head the job changes are:

hume: samurai replaced pariver, necromancer replaced illusionist
viera: occultist replaced elemantalist, 
Bangaa: oracle replaced master monk, myrmiddon replaced defender
moogle: engineer replaced fusilier, corsair replaces juggler, orator replaced gageteer
nu mou: Daemon replaced arcanist, and necromancer replaced illusionist, druid replaced beastmaster
gria: vartan replaced raptor, gourmand replaced geomancer
seeq: reaver replaces lanista

hope it helps

mopdog

Yes that helps greatly. I will refer to vanilla stat growths and thanks for explaining replaced classes. I'm not very familiar with the vanilla game due to hearing it being to easy and cheesy. :)

Bonesy

There's still a Hard mode. I'd say play a bit of it on Normal/Hard to get a feel for the game in general before trying this.
  • Discord username: Bonesy#9386

Zeke_Aileron

@Eternal, I have a question about the Job classes using weapons out of their race since in Vanilla FFTA2, like i know using specific weapon types that isn't meant to be used by a specific race tends to freeze the game with and without them being able to equip them.

Do you have a way around that, or did you try it out without it freezing?
  • Discord username: Zeke Aileron™#0606

Eternal

It's a bit of trial-and-error, but in general, each unit can use "striking" weapon sprite frames. It's things like ranged weapons that become more hit-and-miss.

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: Eternal on May 16, 2018, 08:24:08 pm
It's a bit of trial-and-error, but in general, each unit can use "striking" weapon sprite frames. It's things like ranged weapons that become more hit-and-miss.

I see, i'll try doing that as well then, thank you. :)

Also how's progress with GG going?

Eternal

With the new editors, quite well! I'm playing with formations now. I'm heading out of town for a few days to the Bahamas, but once I get back you can believe I'm going to be breaking stuff, haha.

Zeke_Aileron

Quote from: Eternal on May 16, 2018, 08:42:52 pm
With the new editors, quite well! I'm playing with formations now. I'm heading out of town for a few days to the Bahamas, but once I get back you can believe I'm going to be breaking stuff, haha.

Nice, i'm doing the same as well with the formations, but it kind of sucks that there's no way to add units into a formation, but at least you can edit the party limit for each mission.  :v/:

DeSgeretjin

Technically I can add a add unit feature to the formation editor, but there isn't much space in the rom for new units so you'd have to delete some to make room. We also don't know what dictates which and where the units are placed.

If you look at the brightmoon tor formations, you can actually see that there is more units than are actually in the fight. Another one is the 'Of a feather' where Redhawk can randomly appear.

Apparently editing the 'faction?' byte can actually place units out of bounds or break scripts where units teleport in or start them off with debuffs.