• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 06:41:38 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Multi-Attack Weapons?

Started by Ansehelm, September 28, 2017, 09:09:05 pm

Ansehelm

Hey homies,

I want to make a Zhuge Crossbow/Chu Ko Nu weapon that fires several weak bolts per attack, and I'm wondering if there's a convenient way to get the weapon to do this.  Worst case scenario, I can just make the weapon 100% proc a multi hit attack, but I think that would only animate the character firing once, and I don"t think it would stack with other abilities (e.g a weapon-range poison attack).  So what I'm looking for is for a weapon formula that fires a certain number of times while maintaining all attributes of a normal weapon attack.  Any leads?
  • Modding version: PSX

Ildon

First thing is first...  I need to know which version you are modifying.  So please set your mod tag if you have not, and if you have please create a signature to force it to generate when you post.  Your signature can just have "yeap" or something if you want.  Also, if you are modding both psx and psp versions you'll want to include if the question relates to the psp version pretty much every time you do post or it will be assumed that you are modding the psx version. 

Now.. on to actually trying to help you out.

You have a few options if you are working on the psx version.  Most of your options are doing slightly different things using ASM hacks.  Essentially what you would do is replace a formula that your mod will not be using with your multi-hit formula, and then setting the desired items to use the new formula.  I believe that a Barrage formula was created for the psx version of the game, so some variation of that may be able to produce the result that you want.  However, element and inflict status/cast spell options may be limited since I have not yet tested this.  Although... in theory you might be able to get what you are after.  If ASM hacks could potentially solve this issue for you then I heavily recommend reading up on the ASM hacks section of the forums and politely asking for help if creating the hack proves to be outside of your ability. 

If you are modifying the psp version you likely wont be getting help creating any ASM hacks.  As such you would either have to edit some code by hand or create your own hack to get what you're looking for.  If this doesn't sound like something you personally want to do I can't really blame you.  However, you can always create a new ability and have your weapon use it as "cast spell" or set the "cast spell" to something that already exists.  This of course will prevent the weapon from also having the capacity to inflict status on each separate hit.  If you simply want a flurry of shots that is unreliable you could try having the "cast spell" set to barrage, but that will also prevent options for inflicting statuses. 

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
(PSP) FFT: GGL Edition 0.9.81 is now available. check here

Nyzer

I think the PSP Patcher has Balthier's Barrage as a formula; the weapon could be changed to use that formula. That said, it can also cause some other minor issues to do so.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Ildon

October 31, 2017, 09:29:01 pm #3 Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 10:20:47 am by Ildon
Quote from: Nyzer on October 31, 2017, 09:11:50 pm
I think the PSP Patcher has Balthier's Barrage as a formula; the weapon could be changed to use that formula. That said, it can also cause some other minor issues to do so.

Indeed you can set the formula for a weapon to "6A <<Barrage>>" if you are modifying the psp version of the game.  However, if you set inflict status/cast spell then the moment that you use the weapon to attack in combat the game/emulator will crash... And if you have that field left blank then the weapon will not display damage and have 00% chance to hit.  Although it will execute a single attack animation without crashing.  The attack will register as firing at an empty panel even if you targeted a unit in so far as the targeted unit will not react in any way and miss/blocked will not display.  At least that is what happened when I tested crossbows earlier. 

For the PSX version:
In theory a formula for a single hit at say ((WP*PA)/2) with cast spell 100% could be created.  Then the barrage formula could be used for an ability that is not linked to any skill set.  If the Barrage formula that was created for the PSX version takes status effects/elements then those could be set if so desired.  The WP of the item could be scaled to account for 5 equally strong hits at (WP*PA)/2.  This means that at a WP of 1 it would be equiv. to a "normal" weapon with a WP of 2.5, and at a WP of 2 it would be equiv. to a "normal" weapon with a WP of 5. 

I hope that example makes sense to whomever is reading it. 

Edit:
My example for the PSX version assumed that the "Barrage" formula was something along the lines of "DMG_((WP/Y)*PA) #Hit_(X+1) Status PE" with Y=2, X=3 OR "DMG_((WP*PA)/Y) #Hit_(X+1) Status PE" with Y=2, X=3.  Furthermore, the Barrage formula would have to ignore any "cast spell" of a weapon or you may either crash the game or attack repeatedly until the targeted unit dies. 

Also, you may need to create a "Barrage" ability for each different element/status combination that you desire to have. 
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
(PSP) FFT: GGL Edition 0.9.81 is now available. check here

AdotHariman

Where can I get the Barrage formula that was created for PSX version?

Thanks.
  • Modding version: PSX