• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:14:51 am

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

Finals of the FFT Arena A.I Tournament

Started by Barren, March 22, 2012, 03:07:06 pm

How do you wish for the tournament to end?

Best of 3 - Small map, Large Map, Medium Map
8 (42.1%)
Best of 5 - Small map, Large Map, Medium Map, Medium Map, Medium Map
11 (57.9%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: March 29, 2012, 03:07:06 pm

Barren

This is your chance to pick the way the tournament will end! Choose well combatants!
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
You dare cross blades with me?

Avalanche

I like best of five in the finals, i would even like see bo5 in the semi-finals

AeroGP

Winner of the winner's bracket should be double eliminated like everyone else. Best of three, then another if loser wins. They don't really take that long, people.
Quote from: Tycho"There are a number of different factors impacting server connectivity on Xbox 360," the spokesperson said. "It is a particularly complex server architecture and we continue to work with Microsoft to improve connectivity."

I don't want to bolster any "violent gamer" tropes, but that statement makes me want to improve the connectivity of my front two knuckles with their esophagus.  I wonder how Brenna would respond if I told her that "fidelity" was complicated.

formerdeathcorps

5 matches start to verge on too long, I think, especially for the organizers who'll then have to make, render, and upload such videos.
The destruction of the will is the rape of the mind.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

AeroGP

Best of three can already verge on quite a while depending on who's fighting. If the organizers cannot handle longer matches, they should not be organizing the tournament to begin with.
Quote from: Tycho"There are a number of different factors impacting server connectivity on Xbox 360," the spokesperson said. "It is a particularly complex server architecture and we continue to work with Microsoft to improve connectivity."

I don't want to bolster any "violent gamer" tropes, but that statement makes me want to improve the connectivity of my front two knuckles with their esophagus.  I wonder how Brenna would respond if I told her that "fidelity" was complicated.

Pierce

I like the idea of Best of 5 of the finals. I like the idea of having 5 rounds, no commentary, higher gamespeed than regular matches. That ensures both teams get a chance to redeem themselves, it isn't too much work for the host, and speeding up the game speed will mean you don't get bored halfway through if it's a longer match.
Ignorance itself is a crime! - Miluda

Soleil

Commentary/no commentary should be the hosts choice. I personally enjoy it and find it adds a nice touch to the gameplay.

formerdeathcorps

Oops, I misread this thread.  I thought we were asking for the video format for the entire sequence of matches.

If it was only the final few matches, I'd still prefer best of 3, though I wouldn't seriously object to best of 5.
The dogmas of every era are nothing but the fantasies of those in power; their dreams are our waking nightmares.

Wiz

I repeated this sentiment before about bo5 in general and I'll repeat it in this case, it's redundant. You're essentially going back to a bo3 if both teams win one round each within the first two rounds and frankly, I don't wanna watch them duke it out on possibly 10 maps (Assuming the loser's bracket champ wins his/her first series of bo5). Six in of itself is enough.

And personally, I'd prefer no commentary since it'd be a more suspenseful experience as opposed to listening to "blah blah blah" where it'd most likely interfere with the match.

Gaignun

Redundancy is the whole point of a best of 5, though.  Students of statistics know that sampling error is reduced with the number of trials.  If a weaker team makes it to the finals on the good grace of the RNG, that team will need three, not two, lucky breaks to win the final set.  Sure, a best of 5 is long, but think of it this way: the fighting game community regards a first-to-ten as an accurate assessment of two competitors' relative strength.  For those of you who watched EVO last year, Poongko eliminated Daigo Umehara, a god of fighting games, in a best-of-three with random shenanigans.  Daigo earned a definitive victory over Poongko in a first-to-ten weeks later.  Granted, fighting games are also about one's ability to adapt to the opponent's playstyle over time, which will not be possible here.

Wiz

@ Gaignun - I'm aware that more trials means that there will be a more accurate take on the two teams when pitted against each other. However, from the loser's bracket champ's position, that would put him/her at a greater disadvantage where they'd have to six out of ten rounds as opposed to four out of six. That's biased and prejudicial.

If people want to test Team A against Team B and see videos of it, they can simply request for a series of matches outside of tournaments, or in other words, exhibitions. Hell, one could load it up using the Memory Card Generator and get an idea of where his/her team's weaknesses are against another.

Gaignun

That's the nature of double elimination, though.  Whether it's four out of six or six out of ten, the one going into the finals with one loss needs to do twice as much to win.  Increasing the number of matches only helps take unpredictable wins out of the equation for both sides.  That's what I feel this poll is about: whether the finals should be more or less predictable.

formerdeathcorps

Your last point is exactly why I prefer best of 3 even though best of 5 would not take too much additional time: these matches are about what is exciting to the viewers and video makers.  In some sense, excitement comes from the unexpected happening, in seeing a seemingly invincible team fail when it should have succeeded.  Thus, the less predictability, the better (provided it's fair).

Barren