• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:30 am

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

Item Icon Editing

Started by Celdia, January 07, 2011, 04:13:04 am

Celdia

January 07, 2011, 04:13:04 am Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 09:58:21 am by Celdia
Okay. The forum search function has failed me or my google-fu is just not up to snuff for this one. Can anyone tell me how to edit this:

I don't know where to find it in the ISO, how to extract it or how to import it once I've made my changes to it. SOMEONE must know.
  • Modding version: PSX
  • Discord username: Celdia#0

Celdia

January 08, 2011, 12:26:14 am #1 Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 09:16:16 am by Celdia
Okay, so I got this fully answered in chat by Kokojo. If anyone else is wondering how to do this, here's a quick rundown.

1.) Go http://www.romhacking.net/utils/109/ and grab TileMolester.
2.) Use CDMage to grab Item.bin out of the Event folder of your ISO.
3.) Open Item.bin with TileMolester. It should look like a big jumbled mess. Let's fix that.
4.) Go to View > Codec > "4bpp, linear, reverse-order"
5.) Go to View > Mode > "2-Dimensional"

Hopefully things start to look familiar at this point. The last thing to do before you start editing is look for this button at the top somewhere and click it. It will expand the viewing area and reorganize things so that after a few clicks it all looks like this:

Happy editing!

dinosaur

I think you are in the wrong color bit dimension. Do 8 bit linear or 16. 

GeneralStrife

Wow, that alot of work for the icons huh? I guess tis the life of a patch maker.....ouch.

Celdia

July 30, 2011, 08:14:58 am #4 Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:20:50 am by Celdia
Here is 8 bit linear

And this is the first 16bpp codec

While I suppose if you really wanted to you could try and edit those in that format I don't think you'd do very well with it. Since I don't know where the palettes for the items are stored there's no quick way to load up usable colors for editing the icons - you just have to find the corresponding colors you want to use from the existing icons over here onto the palette in TM and use those. It takes some time to make sure you have exactly the right matches but it will make the actual process of importing your new icons pixel-by-pixel less of a headache. After I felt I was "getting good" at it, it still took me about a half hour to create a new icon.

Shade

July 30, 2011, 08:19:33 am #5 Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 08:23:00 am by Shade
Quote from: Celdia on July 30, 2011, 08:14:58 am
Here is 8 bit linear

And this is the first 16bpp codec

While I suppose if you really wanted to you could try and edit those in that format I don't think you'd do very well with it. Since I don't know where the palettes for the items are stored there's no quick way to load up usable colors for editing the icons - you just have to find the corresponding colors you want to use from the existing icons over http://www.ffhacktics.com/items.php onto the palette in TM and use those. It takes some time to make sure you have exactly the right matches but it will make the actual process of importing your new icons pixel-by-pixel less of a headache. After I felt I was "getting good" at it, it still took me about a half hour to create a new icon.

It would cool if those pictures you just posted worked...
Upupupu...

Zetsubou

Celdia

I was cutting them down to size so they didn't expand the forum post width. They work again now, Shade.

Xifanie

July 30, 2011, 09:46:08 am #7 Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:46:56 am by Xifanie
1) Edit the .BMP With the palette editor to switch palettes and stuff.
2) Convert to .TIM using TIMUTIL.EXE. Create one 4bit and one 8bit version so you can keep all the 16 palettes and not just the first one. (in Bit Depth)
3) Using a hex editor:
Copy 0x0040-0x803F from your 4bit .TIM to 0x0000-0x7FFF in ITEM.BIN (palettes)
Copy 0x0014-0x0213 from your 8bit .TIM to 0x8000-0x81FF in ITEM.BIN (image)
4) Import to your ISO with cdmage/cdprog.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful