• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 12:20:14 pm

News:

Please use .png instead of .bmp when uploading unfinished sprites to the forum!

FFXIV: Return to Ivalice

Started by Eternal, September 04, 2017, 10:18:18 am

Eternal

Hey team, read this article and thought it was pretty cool. FFXII and FFT will be featuring prominently in a new raid in FFXIV. It'll be pretty cool to see FFT areas be fully explorable. Article here.

• Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817

Lionheart537

That is pretty darn cool. I'm not into mmos but XIV is probably one of the few I'd try getting into nowadays. Ivalice, Midgar, and Spira have always been my favorite FF worlds. Wonder if they'll have a actual tactics gameplay portion, or maybe as a minigame like Triple Triad.
  • Modding version: PSX
It's not much yet but check out my spriting thread!
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=11772.0
Here's a look at my vanilla mod thread, progressing one step at a time!
http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=11785.0

3lric

Triple Triad is already in the game

As for the FFT stuff, I don't care that much as honestly id really expect it to piss off FFT fans more than anything since obviously there is no way to make any of the areas look like the small maps we had in FFT, so instead you'll probably see, generic flatland area, generic swamp area, generic volcano, generic desert and a couple towns names after the FFT towns  (with WotL names) while actually looking nothing like them.

Angel

It's a raid, so it won't feature those maps anyway. It'll be more about the bosses you fight along the way, as it's been with all the other throwback bosses (Gilgamesh, Ultros, and so forth).

I tend to categorically hate MMOs, but I loved XIV in both its incarnations. 1.x was barely an MMO, since it rewarded playing by yourself. ARR is missing some of what I liked about 1.x, but improved on so many other things (except the cutscene events, which are absolute trash compared to what they used to be) that I'm cool with just letting them improve the world and add more features.
* Angel should quit being a lazy bitch
<@Elric> I agree to that as well

nyanyame nyanyajuu nyanyado no nyarabide nyakunyaku inyanyaku nyanyahan nyanyadai nyannyaku nyarabete nyaganyagame
At the end of the day, are we not all trapped inside lemons?

Bonesy

call me when ff14 doesnt have a sub fee
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown
  • Discord username: Bonesy#9386

Xifanie

Quote from: Bonesy on September 04, 2017, 05:58:02 pm
call me when ff14 doesnt have a sub fee

I know how you feel Bonesy, we haven't played in over 2 years because it's so goddamn expensive. They don't even offer reasonable price for Canadians like Steam does (nearly always 110% USD price), instead they charge exchange rate prices (124% + 4% conversion), and it used to be more like 132% + 4% two years ago. We had only been playing for 3 months and they were asking us to buy Heavensward at 40 bucks each, so $80 USD, on top of the $15 for each of us every month... it just got way too expensive. Not having bought Heavensward, we lost all our friends because no one had interest in non-expansion stuff... so we lost our reason to play.
Love what you're seeing? https://supportus.ffhacktics.com/ 💜 it's really appreciated

Anything is possible as long as it is within the hardware's limits. (ie. disc space, RAM, Video RAM, processor, etc.)
<R999> My target market is not FFT mod players
<Raijinili> remember that? it was awful

Bonesy

Yeah, i wish sub fees would go the way of the dodo. At least I might be getting a better comp soon so I can go play TERA or Neverwinter or something.

3lric

Quote from: Bonesy on September 04, 2017, 07:54:12 pm
Yeah, i wish sub fees would go the way of the dodo. At least I might be getting a better comp soon so I can go play TERA or Neverwinter or something.

Neverwinter is good, but it's not very mmorpg like. It's more like massive multiplayer baldurs gate. I play it on ps4

Bonesy

MMO Baldur's Gate would probably keep my interest longer, tbh.

Tomershalin

MMO Baldur's Gate is a wet dream come true.

Eternal

So, Return to Ivalice is out. A few fun finds. Fair warning, spoilers for the raid below, so avert your eyes if you don't want to be spoiled.

So, it looks like the bosses are Mateus, Hashmal, Rofocale (yes, the unused Rofocale, more on that later), and the final boss... Algus.

Mateus and Hashmal fight similarly to their FFXII personae, with Mateus using Ice/Water abilities and the ability to choke and drown your party in toxic gas. Hashmal uses Earth abilities, Melt,

Rofocale is a centaur-like monster that was previously unused in FFT, and it was previously associated with the Sagittarius stone, held by Meliadoul. The interesting thing is that in XIV, Rofocale spams Shellbust Stab, Hellcry Punch, etc... so make of that what you will.
It's pretty cool seeing them use something unused in FFT before, much less associating it with Meliadoul. Rofocale summons a gaggle of Archaic Demons that spam Lifebreak and Dark Holy, just like the source material.

Algus... oh boy, Algus. I haven't found a video detailing the entire raid's story, but it looks like Algus gets his hands on Taurus and is transformed into a Lucavi. Fun thing is that they basically took FFT's Lucavi transformation animation and redesigned it for XIV. He becomes a many-armed swordsman with faces floating around him. Throughout the battle he uses Hellcry Punch and summons "Shades".
Basically, Algus clones that use Dark Sword abilities (like Unholy Sacrifice) from WotL.

For those wanting videos...

Mateus:

Hashmal:

Rofocale:

Algus:

I'll add more as I learn more, but this is a fun little tribute to XII and FFT, and apparently Matsuno himself was behind it. (More FFT stuff in the future, perhaps?)
  • Modding version: PSX & WotL
"You, no less human than we? Ha! Now there's a beastly thought. You've been less than we from the moment your baseborn father fell upon your mother in whatever gutter saw you sired! You've been chattel since you came into the world drenched in common blood!"
  • Discord username: eternal248#1817