• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:38:22 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

FFT-Like Music

Started by lirmont, September 10, 2014, 05:03:47 am

Vaan

I liked Battle Theme (Intense) and Clash on the Big Bridge (Piqued) more.

Here's a new list of rpg songs, took me a while to remember those. Oh the nostalgia that i have now.

"    One of these days I'll fly an airship of my own. I'll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    ,,
   ~ Vaan

lirmont

October 08, 2014, 07:59:44 am #21 Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 11:50:35 am by lirmont
Chrono Trigger

Frog's Theme (Normal) and Frog's Theme (Intense).

Bonus:

I will get to the rest of that list sometime later this week. Thanks.

Vaan

Frog's Theme (Intense) is my fav, although i could imagine whimsical in a pub and bright on some mystic forest or something. Also, take your time;
"    One of these days I'll fly an airship of my own. I'll be a sky pirate, free to go where I will.    ,,
   ~ Vaan

lirmont

Final Fantasy X

Battle Theme

Battle Theme (Normal).

Variations:

Too much stuff going on with this track to FFT-ize it. Had to rewrite a large part of my playback/sequencing code to deal with the 8 different tempo changes this MIDI used, but that's done now. Also, had to go out and find a different soundfont (collection of instrument audio) to make it sound right-ish. Auto-panning for notes got added in the process of trying to get the music to sound right under reverb plus the usual instruments I use for the FFT style.

--

Final Fantasy 6

Celes' Theme

Celes' Theme (Normal) and Celes' Theme (Intense).

Couldn't get this one to sound anything other than sad. Will have to study this piece later.

Final Fantasy 4

Red Wings

Red Wings (Normal) and Red Wings (Intense).

Golden Sun 2

Isaac Battle

Isaac Battle (Normal) and Isaac Battle (Intense).

Final Fantasy Tactics A2

Painful Battle

Painful Battle (Normal) and Painful Battle (Intense).

3lric

These are awesome Lirmont, well done.

Do you think you could give these two a try?
I'm going to be using them as new tracks in Jot5 Ch2

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53561892/Sweet%20Dreams%20are%20made%20of%20screams.mp3

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/53561892/Yiruma%20-%20Dream%20A%20Little%20Dream%20of%20me%20-%20Piano.mp3

If you need, I also have the sheet music for these, if that might help.
  • Modding version: PSX

lirmont

3lric

Wow, you did an amazing job with these Lirmont!

The only issue is I can't decide which ones I like best :D

Well player sir!
  • Modding version: PSX

lirmont

Tethical Music Engine

Special thanks to everyone in this thread; the video's idea came from your suggestions. The video runs through back-to-back 15-second previews of some of the stuff you've already heard, but it adds something new by providing audio waveforms that use the game logo of the music.

Thanks.

mav

Holy titballs, this is incredible. All versions of the Dream a Little Dream of Me and Jeff the Killer tracks sound exceptional. I feel like the simplicity of the original tracks allowed the variations to come out much more professionally than the other tracks in this thread. Phenomenal work, Lirmont. I wish I could do something to support you guys.

If you need financial support or maybe some simple QA, I'd love to help out.

lirmont

Thanks. There's less to cause conflict in simple pieces, for sure. Also, conflicts can be fixed and improvements can be added on a per-configuration basis by someone who actually knows what they're doing musically (re: professional orchestration). Unfortunately, that is not something I am capable of doing.

--

Here's my attempt to use this feature in a standard day-night cycle.

I've also just hooked up support for non-standard tunings, so music that doesn't exist in the standard tuning can be played natively. They're based on different ratios, and so they use different frequencies. Some of them can be read about here: Non-Western scales (wikipedia). I haven't gone out and found a MIDI file that makes use of this yet, but I will update this post with one at some point. There are 4,400+ such scales.

mav

Fascinating. It's blowing my mind that you've implemented so many different elements to Tethical. And so cohesively at that.

Anyways, from what I can tell, it sounds like you're looking for a music theorist as well as a composer of sorts. I'm not sure where to find such people but I did notice someone recently introduce themselves to FFHacktics as a musician. There's also a fella on YouTube named William Kage. His channel has garnered a lot of attention. He's taken some old school SNES soundfonts and made some beautiful new compositions. Assuming he has the time and necessary capabilities, he could do wonders for making a couple cohesive soundtracks for Tethical.

If nothing else, his YouTube channel has some great tracks.

lirmont

January 01, 2015, 04:24:13 am #31 Last Edit: January 01, 2015, 06:30:21 am by lirmont
Thanks for sharing that channel. That's what I envision someone who knows what they're doing would choose to do, bypassing all this (except maybe for playback). This is mostly geared at reconfiguring music that doesn't fit so that it does (without needing musical knowledge yourself). I'd certainly love to have music like that available, however soundfonts sampled off of actual games like that are illegal. So I wouldn't be able to hand content that falls into that category out exactly like it was meant to be (and would have to find close alternatives) even if someone generously let this project use it. I do already have a rewriting system in place to automatically change instruments (since this feature grew out of wanting to play and analyze FFT's music in a similar fashion), but new alternatives to heavily synthesized instruments would probably have to be created (since there's probably not a standard musical instrument that can take their place).

--

Micro-Tuned Music

Again, this music is not being played in a standard tuning. It's based off of a different ratio. This tuning is known as "Bhairavi", and can be read about on Wikipedia. Unfortunately, it appears that my existing library of tricks does not work quite the same way outside of standard tunings. The output is nevertheless interesting.

Basant Mukhari (the Bhairavi, an Indian raag):