• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:14:33 pm

News:

Don't be hasty to start your own mod; all our FFT modding projects are greatly understaffed! Find out how you can help in the Recruitment section or our Discord!

how to mod multiple patches??

Started by Jeyxi, January 13, 2019, 08:09:22 pm

Jeyxi

I have no trouble patching one thing to ffta but when i try to patch a second ups file to my patched gba file it won't let me. What am i doing wrong?
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

Leonarth

90% of the time you can't do that, so what you are doing wrong is attempting to do it.

With .event files you can mix and match them if you know what you are doing, with .ups files however that's not possible, only .ups files that don't write to freespace (like the shoe stealing mod) can be combined with others, so you can only have one .ups file that goes into freespace and as many as you want that don't, as long as they don't conflict.

An .ups file is nothing more than a list of what to write and where to write it to, without support to change the location to write to, mostly because even if you changed it that would probably also not work, since code needs to be updated to match that too.

If you are trying to use one of my .ups files, those are really only meant as demos to see what the engine hack is all about, you are meant to be using the .event files instead, after finding where freespace starts on your ROM.

IF you are certain that this patch should have no issues being patched over an already patched file, like the shoe stealing mod, and I assume you are using NUPS, you need to change the "If file is invalid" option, a file that has been patched is no longer the exact same as the original, NUPS will notice this and, by default, cancel patching, if you want it to patch anyway be sure to mark any other option other than "Abort".

Jeyxi

ah okay i got it thx friend. Know of any other good *patches* that works in the 10%?

Leonarth

Making a patch that works with others is not just a matter of choice, some things just need to go into freespace and there's no way to know what went where with patches, the AIO editor has a few options you can apply to your ROM, other than that unless you want to learn how tu use Event Assembler (which isn't really too hard and can make several modifications work together) your options are my shoe stealing patch and my permadeath patches (which does go into freespace but I tried to put it somwhere that wouldn't conflict with other patches, it might work, it might now).

There might be other stuff that I don't know of.