• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 03:40:20 pm

News:

Use of ePSXe before 2.0 is highly discouraged. Mednafen, RetroArch, and Duckstation are recommended for playing/testing, pSX is recommended for debugging.

Shishi sprite edit: how to use different palettes

Started by reversebustersword, August 02, 2015, 12:21:38 am

reversebustersword

I'm trying to figure out how to use Cloud's advent childern sprites different palette sprites. He has five, but I can only seem to be able to use his normal black color.

Nyzer

IIRC - You can't. He can only appear that way if his event appearance sets him up for that; as a party member he'll show up in Palette 1 by default. Think about any generic units you've ever enticed with an Orator; they always change from the 2-5 Palettes over to the generic one.

You need to swap out his base palette for one of the others in the .bmp file itself, making it so that his default is the color you want. If you want multiple friendly Clouds, then you need a different sprite for each of them. 
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

reversebustersword

Quote from: nyzer on August 02, 2015, 12:32:52 am
IIRC - You need to swap out his base palette for one of the others in the .bmp file itself, making it so that his default is the color you want.

Do you mean I need to change to color of Cloud's model that shows up when your choosing your members before the start of a battle?

http://www.cocoblo.jp/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/fft10.jpg

Nyzer

No, I mean that I believe the color that appears for your Cloud sprite when you're choosing him for battle is the only color you can use for a unit you're fielding. There might be multiple different palettes on FFT sprites, but the only viable one for party members is their very first palette, their default palette. The other palettes only exist for the purpose of making enemy units obvious at a glance without every enemy thief in existence looking exactly the same.

I believe that Xifanie made a Palette Editor specifically for stuff like this - it should allow you to easily swap around one of Cloud's later palettes for his normal default, changing his default appearance in the game. Except in the formation screen, because that's from two separate files.

The only exception to the rule are the monsters. But they don't at all work like regular Jobs do. Whatever they've got going on probably isn't something you can mimic with a regular character.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown