• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:03:14 am

World Map 1.0 Editor

Started by Prouncer, February 24, 2019, 06:08:20 am

Prouncer

I have what I hope to be a simple question with regards to pasting into WLDCORE using the World Map Editor.

Any time I modify the WLDCORE the game crashes trying to load any event. I am doing something wrong but I don't know what. I have also had no problems doing the same thing with the ATTACK.OUT Battle Event Conditions editor and have gotten custom events to work.

Using a completely unmodified version of the Xifanie World Map 1.00 Editor from the Raven Books.

I copy the blue bar as normal then open WLDCORE using 010 Hex Editor, use a goto command and search 30234 as the address, then Paste with Overwrite selected as the insert option.

The thing is, even unmodified the pasted content looks completely different than what was in there before. The hex numbers are different and the conversion on the right to characters is completely different.

Hopefully what I am doing wrong is obvious as I am at a loss.

Thanks as usual for any help that anyone can provide.
  • Modding version: PSX

Prouncer

Well I figured it out and it was something silly that I forgot to do.

Once the WLDCORE is edited, I forgot to take the XML from the spread sheet and then put it into the patcher. No wonder why it didn't work.

Oh well, I still have to find something I can safely remove to add my one line that I need. If anyone has input on that I would be all ears though!

Prouncer

I have a similar question but this time regarding to the ATTACK.OUT battle conditions editor.

I am not able to correctly paste the hex and use the XML in FFTORGASM to modify the ATTACK.OUT

I am missing a step and I cannot remember or figure out what it is. I have done this correctly before but it was months ago.

Just to make sure that this isn't an unrelated issue I have tried this on an unmodified game with an unmodified version of the Xifanie spreadsheet. I know I am screwing up steps with the file modification itself.

I have also read through http://ffhacktics.com/smf/index.php?topic=6694.0 and a several other forums but I am not finding an answer to what I am doing wrong.

Any help would greatly be appreciated thanks!!!

Prouncer

Maybe just posting in the forum turns the light bulb on for me I don't even know.

I think the issue is specifically with the 010 Hex editor.

When using ctrl + shift + v --> the editor pastes in ascii into the address. There is no need to take the XML from the spreadsheet and patch using FFTorgASM. Doing so will actually cause the game to crash loading any event at all.

I now have a working event in between a story event. The location is red and stepping on it calls all the right scripts. The event itself is written like a mess and needs a lot of work. But considering how much trouble I had to get to this point I will take the win.

3lric

I've always taken my event condition data from the sheet and made an xml out it without issues...

I know we used to have to copy the data directly and overwrite the data in the file via hex editor, but im pretty sure that was only with world.bin and it hasnt been that way in years...

You should probably just use the worldmap and attack.out files in ravens workbooks (iirc) thats what i made the custom versions i use for Jot5 and TLW with.

Just dont use Gameflow Editor. It was a ambitious idea by pokeytax, but it was never completely finished and has a lot of bugs currently that cause issues. Sadly pokeytax kinda disappeared before it was finished and either way we have a lot more info on worldmap and attack.out stuff on the wiki than we did back in those days.

Prouncer

Wait wait wait, so your saying I don't have to do both the blue bar copy/paste hex and the xml patch insert? Its just the xml patch insert? If that is the case I completely misunderstood the process and no wonder I have had so many issues. I guess the blue bar thing in the Excel sheet always made me think I had to do it that way!

I don't know what the Gameflow Editor is. I have always used the Ravens Workbook stuff. I didn't notice the Attack.OUT inside it, I always just pulled out the Attack.OUT from the game itself. Is there a difference between the two?

Thank you for your help Elric and you have helped me out several times in the past. I just get confused as there are so many little things that have to be done just right.

3lric

Lol nope, just do one or the other, not both