• Welcome to Final Fantasy Hacktics. Please login or sign up.

7 portraits in 7 days

Started by Lijj, January 28, 2013, 08:01:50 pm

MiKeMiTchi

January 31, 2013, 06:31:10 pm #40 Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:08:37 am by MiKeMiTchi
You guys got me inspired. Love the TMNT ports, esp. the details on Splinter.
I agree with Mobius as well that the Fran was very beautiful. Nice rendition, Twin.
Also, I saw your works on PJ, philippe. Awesome stuffs. ;3

Jimmy, join us nao

Kage, the hair looks great as well as his clothing. I hope you do chars from other FE series too.

(My) Day 2! I am kinda late...
Tried doing a custom character. ;D
Jot5 GFX Designer :: Spriter :: Mitchi

Lijj

That looks.. Amazing! I like his style.. great hair and good looking eyes; he's got attitude.

Jumza: I'm not sure if I will do that character though I might.
  • Modding version: PSX

GeneralStrife

That weird yugioh looking dude port would be hard as hell. I might do a port but it wont be good.

MiKeMiTchi

January 31, 2013, 09:40:46 pm #43 Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 06:24:52 am by MiKeMiTchi
Thanks a lot, Lijj!

(My) Day 3 port.

He's one of my original characters from my RM game Konpeki! Cosmic Drama. ;)

Jumza

February 01, 2013, 12:42:17 am #44 Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 12:51:39 am by Jumza
I tried to mix a couple of portraits together to try to make Nessiah, after awhile I stopped and noticed about a billion mistakes.
Chains are too small. Hair looks like a trident. Over 16 colors. etc
If anyone would like to help go for it, but otherwise I'm going to keep goin at it.

Nyzer: Alma teleports out of her own possessed body.
Raijinili: Remember that you're telling a modding community that the game they love could use some fixing.

MiKeMiTchi

February 01, 2013, 01:30:58 am #45 Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 01:40:55 am by MiKeMiTchi
It's a good start! If you're going to keep at it, then it's best to make a new topic for it. Post the finished ones here, or you could also just edit your post. xD

For me, the way to do it is to resize that original Nessiah image such that the face size is similar to that of an FFT port. All you need then is to retrace/recolor it using FFT colors, since from the start, Nessiah's face doesn't even have nose (too small to consider) and eyes. The only real problem would be the colors since you have violet, pink, blue, skin, yellow, and gray.

Lijj

February 01, 2013, 03:32:51 am #46 Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:56:50 am by Lijj
Glad to see more posts. I don't think I can express the joy it brings me to see a lot of posts.
I actually like Gazelle's port overall more. I just like that one. But great job you really put in a session today.

Yeah that is one reason I wasn't interested in doing it(the Blaze Union char.).. so many different colors. I almost feel like there's always a way though with maybe a sacrifice or style adjustment.

Day 4, and I have something. I might do one more tonight, but I did get a late start. It's Caller Rydia but the kid version: EDIT the black strap  I was trying to depict looked awkward so I went with the yellow.

I used these little rascals for ref mostly:

Kagebunji

Heh, nice. We have both old and young Rydia now.
  • Modding version: Other/Unknown

GeneralStrife

holy SDSSSHhuIITITSDF I love young rydia's hair!

MiKeMiTchi

One thing I'm not sure about is the young Rydia's hair. The second darkest hair shade is too bright and brown, imo.
I haven't played FF4 really, so I don't know much about Rydia to begin with. They both look great though. ;)

Lijj

February 01, 2013, 07:46:57 pm #50 Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:55:14 pm by Lijj
Thanks GS. Ah there's the grown version of Rydia.. I knew there was a better version around but could only find the one on the main page, which is ok, but i didn't post cause I knew there was a newer version (I should have looked throught Kage's sprite thread).. Good to see them both together.
Yeah I used two skin tones in the hair.. hmm.  I did make a lighter/ less desaturated one as well but posted only the more saturated one out of personal taste.. oddly the brighter color fits her map sprite while this one fits her battle sprite's color more:

Going for three today. I'm insane and have all the rest of the afternoon and evening free.

Mobius

Quote from: Lijj on February 01, 2013, 07:46:57 pm
Thanks GS. Ah there's the grown version of Rydia.. I knew there was a better version around but could only find the one on the main page, which is ok, but i didn't post cause I knew there was a newer version (I should have looked throught Kage's sprite thread).. Good to see them both together.
Yeah I used two skin tones in the hair.. hmm.  I did make a lighter/ less desaturated one as well but posted only the more saturated one out of personal taste.. oddly the brighter color fits her map sprite while this one fits her battle sprite's color more:

Going for three today. I'm insane and have all the rest of the afternoon and evening free.

Hmm, a little too much brown on the hair, I'd say.

Kage's Rydia is great, I think it should be like this in a way.
Now everyone sit down, relax and have a good damned cup of tea.
Then go out into the forest and see the stars.

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.
That should be my motto here, holy s

Lijj

February 01, 2013, 10:14:13 pm #52 Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:25:59 pm by Lijj
Thanks for the feedback guys.. I did an adjustment so I don't have to share 2 hair colors with skin. I just had to sacrifice the yellow since I was already at 16 colors:

Mobius

Day 1

A custom character.

Wanted to experiment with palletes -different- from the mainstream. Going for pale, without looking undead.  ;)

Let's see how long I last.

Then come back and realize it's pointless to be so worked up over what's meant to be our hobby.

Lijj

It looks good to me Mobius. Nice solid shapes and clusters. I'm very glad you're posting. The skin color looks very very good to me.
(only the background color is a bit too pale; you can always tell in these forums if it's off by the way it sticks out on the forum page)

croz

February 01, 2013, 10:45:32 pm #55 Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:52:39 pm by croz
Crozier here, another nomad from Pixeljoint :D
Very nice work so far. Nice job Mobius (not a pixel out of place, except for perhaps the 45 degree angle on the bottom left of her hair.)
It was interesting, and I kinda strayed from the style a little. Oh well. And this was kind of a self portrait of sorts. Was kinda using everyone's (at least on this page) colors, so I might mess around and make the hair more blonde.

-edit- added 2x

Lijj

Thanks for contributing Crozier!

Needs  :more: brown outlines though.  They actually kind of fade like cell out from 'black' to brown to medium brown. See the portrait ref sheet to see exactly what I mean.

Mobius

Quote from: croz on February 01, 2013, 10:45:32 pm
Crozier here, another nomad from Pixeljoint :D
Very nice work so far. Nice job Mobius (not a pixel out of place, except for perhaps the 45 degree angle on the bottom left of her hair.)
It was interesting, and I kinda strayed from the style a little. Oh well. And this was kind of a self portrait of sorts. Was kinda using everyone's (at least on this page) colors, so I might mess around and make the hair more blonde.

-edit- added 2x

Nomads from Pixeljoint are always welcome.

I myself am a nomad from TSR, then went to Pixelation and then aimlessly forward to who knows what.

It seems you're beginning to experiment on FFT style. I would say, in a nutshell, that eyes and face configurations are pretty much a golden standart in how they're made. You might just want to copy and paste from other images and tweak, since, they're all pretty much supposed to look similar.

Palletes are also standard. Straying too far and it might look 'off'.

The trick is, to, from minuscule tweak to tweak, get that 'feel' of whomever you want to make. Then there's the hair, in which one has to learn how to properly shade in FFT styles, seems to me that's the hardest part of all.

Remember to have lots of references always and forever, and you got this down.

As for me, I think I'll try monsters tommorow.

There's just something about monsters. So challenging and satisfying. <3

Lijj

Monsters.. Sweet! Cant' wait

Remember this masterpiece and know there are 3 more just like it on the way:

croz

Thanks for the cc and tips! It has helped.
Ok perhaps a little better. Different hair color, fixed chin, fixed eyes, cut the back of the hair, and other small things.

So I still have to learn how to effectively manage this style. My hair is way off style wise, so I may focus on that more tomorrow.